Go to next topic
Last Post 28 Feb 2014 06:16 PM by  hayeslewis
Indy area races?
 7 Replies
Author Messages
turbotom90

--
24 Jan 2014 12:24 AM
    does the SCCA race in the Indianapolis area? IRP??
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Jan 2014 08:30 PM
    Tom,
    Unfortunately the Indy Region SCCA now longer has a Club Race program. Our program ended a few years ago when modifications to Lucas Oil Raceway's (IRP) road course as well as the lack of maintenance of the road course made it unusable any longer. The Great Lakes Division SCCA has an excellent Club Race program that runs a full schedule at these tracks: Mid-Ohio, Grattan Raceway, Gingerman Raceway, Michigan International Raceway, and Nelson Ledges. For the complete schedule go to: http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/node/92
    hayeslewis

--
    17 Feb 2014 09:15 PM

Now that SVRA is having an event at IMS has there been any thought into running an event there regional or majors?

SVRA is thinking they'll get 600+ cars.  I bet we could do even better.  Think of the history.  Who wouldn't want to race on the hallowed grounds!

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Feb 2014 05:23 PM
    Posted By Hayes Lewis on 17 Feb 2014 09:15 PM

Now that SVRA is having an event at IMS has there been any thought into running an event there regional or majors?

SVRA is thinking they'll get 600+ cars.  I bet we could do even better.  Think of the history.  Who wouldn't want to race on the hallowed grounds!

Have approached the Speedway within the last couple of years and the closest thing to an answer was a chuckle. While I was never given an exact figure, the cost of renting the Speedway is very expensive. The best slim chance SCCA has of getting into the Speedway would be if the Runoffs were to be held there.

hayeslewis

--
    19 Feb 2014 06:23 PM

From what I've heard SVRA is going to charge around $500 for three days. 

I know the speedway has been able to laugh people off in the past, but didn't they recently take some public funding?

Dick Powell

--
    19 Feb 2014 09:37 PM

The info we have gotten (a driver hoping to enter) is $800 entry fee and limited to 500 entries.  Still historic as the first ever non-professional sanctioned races on IMS.

Should be SOME weekend !!!

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Feb 2014 12:06 PM
    The big thing that one has to remember about a facility like IMS is any events they consider, one of the big things they look at is how many spectator tickets and hot dogs they can sell. Now most of the time the Speedway is looking to recoup a sanction fee, they are always looking at profit. While track rental is income, it's peanuts to them. The money is made at the front gate and concession stand. An SCCA Club Race would be a hard sell. If you could convince the Speedway to rent the facility I'm sure the fee would be inflated to cover what they think they'd "lose" in front gate revenue. It'll be interesting to see how the VSRA event does. If VSRA is needing $800 per entrant to make it work with a cap of 500 cars, that's $400,000 in revenue! My guess is that at least half of that is going to the Speedway, probably more. I know our Region's entire treasury wouldn't even cover a down payment on that kind of rental fee. While there would definitely be interest from racers I don't see 500 of them coughing up $800 to say they raced at IMS.
    hayeslewis

--
    28 Feb 2014 06:16 PM

The vintage races could bring in up to 10K people at $25 a head, Maybe even a few more.  But that does not compare to the revenue generated by the entry fee. 

No guts, no glory. 

Last I heard there were over 1000 requests to attend the Indy event.  There's 400 cars willing to pay what ever the entry fee is that could run in some class of SCCA competition. The $800 price is partially due to the 4 day nature of the event.  That's only $200 a day and from what I can tell each group get's a fair amount of track time.

I think this CLEARLY shows that with even a little marketing filling the joint should not be a problem.  

And you can't compare this to COTA.  I understand that the club didn't do as well as expected on that one, but how can you compare a brand new track to the most historic site in American racing?

---