Paul Young's GT3 Probe?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SBPGT

--
27 Dec 2000 11:36 PM
    Looking to get INFO on Paul Young's GT3 Probe. I plan on road racing after a few seasons of Autocrossing. I want to know about what he has done to the Probe for GT3. Is it still the KL-series V6, tube frame body, etc, etc,....... If anyone reading this forum can get me an e-mail address or have him e-mail me, that would be great!

Thanks

------------------
    Steve B.
    [url="http://www.azpoc.com"]AzPOC[/URL] Pres.
    DSP/EP(?)
    K4444A

--
    28 Dec 2000 06:52 PM
    Hey, Kevin Allen here from Eagle Racing. I think Paul did the bodywork himself, fibreglass except for the roof and windshield surround as per GT rules. I think he uses the 2300 engine, I can check the rulebook, we raced against him at the Runoffs, fast car. I think he has been working on this package for quite some time, pretty much all alone too, I liked it the first time I saw it, much prettier car and probably cleaner aero than the Cougar.
    ITA-MR2

--
    28 Dec 2000 07:17 PM
    Steve,

If he's running the V6, no wonder he's so fast. SCCAForums Image The 4 banger is all that's legal in a Probe in GT-3.
    SBPGT

--
    28 Dec 2000 09:04 PM
    I guessed it was a 4cyl. just didn't know what the rules were. I plan on getting all the fiberglass parts too, just wanted to know if it was on a tube frame, or FG panels over the orig. inner body work? Are they all rear wheel drive? I guess I won't be running in GT-3 any time soon! SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Steve B.
    [url="http://www.azpoc.com"]AzPOC[/URL] Pres.
    DSP/EP(?)
    K4444A

--
    29 Dec 2000 12:44 PM
    They can be FWD or RWD, most are tube frame, most are RWD, I think all GT-3 at the Runoffs were RWD. Pretty high tech cars, imagine a pint-sized Trans-Am car, that'll get ya close.
    ITA-MR2

--
    29 Dec 2000 09:38 PM
    "Budget" and "winning" are almost antonyms in GT-anything. If you're going to build a class-killer GT-3 car, you can count on starting with a $50K car and adding more go-fast parts as you can afford it. I know some GT-3 drivers with that much in engine development.

I use the "triple" rule for estimates on competitive car costs.

ITC - $5 - 8K x 3 for HP, x 3 for GT-5
    ITB - $6 - 9K x 3 for GP - FP x 3 for GT-4
    ITA - $7 - 10K x 3 for EP x 3 for GT-3
    ITS - $8 - 12K x 3 for EP x 3 for GT-2
    GT-1 - start with $80K and build it up later.

I won a Divisional championship in a $4000 ITC car five years ago, and it was LOW BUDGET, and not really all that competitive then. (The guy who I usually diced with finished 12th in the ARRC that year.)

I'd definitely start in IT, and then figure out what I wanted to do later. I went from IT to GT3, and back to IT. Reasons:

money
    cameraderie (sp?)
    money
    closer, and better, racing
    money.

[This message has been edited by ITA-MR2 (edited December 29, 2000).]
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner