Tires
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jesse Prather

--
30 Dec 2000 07:51 PM
    Tire question. The Elva weighs 1571 with 13 inch tires. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Hoosiers but only really know about the Good Year compounds. What would be the duplicate in Hoosier from a 430 Good Year. Also suggestions on what compound I should run. A 1571 lb. Elva is a little different than a 2000 lb. MGA with 15 inch wheels. Thanks ahead for comments.
    Chuck Clark

--
    30 Dec 2000 11:09 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Jesse Prather:
    [b]Tire question. The Elva weighs 1571 with 13 inch tires. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Hoosiers but only really know about the Good Year compounds. What would be the duplicate in Hoosier from a 430 Good Year. Also suggestions on what compound I should run. A 1571 lb. Elva is a little different than a 2000 lb. MGA with 15 inch wheels. Thanks ahead for comments.[/b]

Jesse,

The comparable compound in a Hoosier to the Goodyear 430 is the R45 compound. That's what I run on my RX-7 (2,150lbs). Are you allowed a 15" wheel? If so, I'll help you out with tires.
    Chuck Clark

--
    30 Dec 2000 11:22 PM
    Question for Jesse:

We all know Elvis.

Elvi would be more than one Elvis.
    Elvae would be a young Elvis.
    Elvesque would describe any fat guy from Memphis.
    An Elvatorium would be Graceland.

What's an Elva? SCCAForums Image
    Jesse Prather

--
    31 Dec 2000 11:40 AM
    Elva's are kind of rare. They only built a couple thousand Elva's period and not as many Elva Courier's which is what this car is. I wonder if an even softer compound would be in order with 13 inch tires with the Elva's weight. I could run 15's but I have a ton of 13 inch wheels and it seems that the lighter cars do run mainly 13 inch Hoosiers. What are the other compounds Hoosier has. Also, what kind of tire contigency program do they have. 1 win, 2 tires? You can run either a 1622 or 1800 engine. Add 100 lbs. for the 1800. MG engines of course. Thanks for the reply.
    Chuck Clark

--
    31 Dec 2000 12:02 PM
    Jesse,

I'm just teasing about the Elva. I'm sure I'll get a good look at it by following you around next year. SCCAForums Image

Hoosier does have an R33 compound that formula car guys use, but I'm not sure if it comes in the cantilever tires that we use. I'll have to check with my Dad about that. As light as you car is, you may be able to get away with a softer compound, but you'll have to try it for yourself.

Hoosier gives 2 tires for a national win, and one for a 2nd place. I think there has to be 3 cars in the class to get 2 free, and 5 to get 1 free, but in EP, that's never a problem.
    Priller

--
    31 Dec 2000 06:54 PM
    Jesse,

I run Hoosier's new R35 compound on my Lotus, which weighs 1420. They're as sticky as the old 33s, but last as long as the old 45s.

------------------
    Eric Prill
    Just a club racer
    Jesse Prather

--
    01 Jan 2001 05:53 AM
    Eric, do the R35's hold up well in a 20 lap race in the heat of the summer? How many races do you get out of them? Thanks for the reply.
    K4444A

--
    01 Jan 2001 07:43 AM
    Speaking from some experience with the Hoosiers on my car back when it weighed 1605lbs, you all remember the good old days right, like last year. Anyway, I use the 45 compound, used it at the Runoffs where we all remember it being like 10 degrees or so, and I use them at Daytona and Savannah in July, great compound, great new construction as of the middle of last year, the much lamented "good old days". You can't really compare the Hoosier compounds to the G-Y's, yes the 430 is similar to the 45, but the 45 will provide grip much longer than the 430 will, prove it to yourself by chasing a car on G-Y's, you can see the tire going away.
    Priller

--
    01 Jan 2001 09:45 AM
    Jesse,

I never ran them in the heat of summer, although Foss swears that they will last as long as or longer than the old 45s. I ran them for the first time at the Runoffs. I did just remember that they might not yet be available for prod compounds. I run FFord tires all the way around. I would suspect, however, that if the compound is that good it will be introduced to prod drivers. Time will tell.

Eric

------------------
    Eric Prill
    Just a club racer
    Jesse Prather

--
    01 Jan 2001 12:48 PM
    Thank you everyone for the input. I think that that was Kevin Allen with the car that got some weight added??? Ah the good old days.
    Bill Howe

--
    02 Jan 2001 04:41 AM
    Has anyone been running Avons in 14" or 15"
    K4444A

--
    04 Jan 2001 06:42 PM
    Yep Jessie, that was me,(sniff) with the extra weight.
    Kevin Allen
    PS; D--M that Steve guy
    Kendall_Jones

--
    05 Jan 2001 10:21 AM
    I've heard that Avon makes a 15" slick that has a 21"(!) diameter. Can you say touring car?? I think I'm 99% sure that I'll be running Avon's on my LP HP Sprite next year... (In 13" of course)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner