GP weight increase for 2001
 0 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tgr32

--
22 Jan 2001 09:58 AM
    This topic has received a lot of attention in the past. I thought I would include a portion of a letter that I sent to the Comp Board and see if there is any interest. Here is the attachment.

Subject: Weight added to the G-Production Fiat X1/9, Triumph Spitfire, and Fiat 124 Spyder by competition adjustment after the 2000 Runoffs.

Please reverse the decision to add weight to these 3 cars for the 2001 season and go back to the weight as specified in the 2000 PCS. I am requesting this reversal based on the following three facts; the competitive times of the GP cars has not changed in ten years, the competitive diversity that exists within the class is a role model to be emulated, and the lap times of the GP cars relative to overall production car times is not too high.

1) GP cars have run the times that they ran in the 2000 Runoffs for the past ten years. As far back as 1990, I ran a 1:42.17 at Mid Ohio. My car still runs the same times today. During the decade of the 90's I have consistently run in the 42's and 43's. During the 2000 Runoffs the top 5 cars ran the following lap times:

Kevin Allen Spitfire 1:41.905
    Steve Sargis Spitfire 1:42.150
    Tom Reichenbach Fiat X1/9 1:42.295
    Kent Prather MGA 1:42.485
    John Baucom Fiat 124 1:42.591
    (George Bauchman, in his MG Midget, holds the track record at the Mid Ohio Runoffs with a 1:41.652 but unfortunately went home before the race due to the cold weather.)

The Competition Board should be commended for carefully adjusting these very different cars over time so that their lap times are so close. In light of this, the weight adjustment to three of the five competitive cars seems unfounded.

2) For the past seven years that the Runoffs have been at Mid Ohio, 6 different GP cars have won the race and 7 different drivers. This is the highest diversity in all of the Production classes and should be the role model for the other three classes. For the past 7 years the Production classes compare as follows:

Class No. of diff. cars No. of diff. drivers
    GP 6 7
    EP 4 6
    HP 2 5
    FP 1 5

The GP cars, as classified in the 2000 PCS, are about as equal as they can be. It is a fact that for the past 7 years any driver could win GP. Isn't that the definition fair competition?

3) As we know, the production car classes are handicapped and grouped according to performance potential. It seems that the ideal model for this should be an equal and distinct difference in lap times separating each production class. The fastest race lap of the Runoffs for each of the classes represents the maximum potential for each class under racing conditions. The gap between the GP lap time and the FP lap time is the largest. The production classes compare as follows:

Class Race Record Gap between classes
    EP 1:36.951
    (E to F) 0.865 sec.
    FP 1:37.816
    (F to G) 3.836 sec.
    GP 1:41.652
    (G to H) 0.982 sec.
    HP 1.42.634

As can be seen from the gap between the classes, a general slow down of the GP field is exactly the wrong thing to do. If distinction between the classes is the goal, then the FP cars should be slowed down or the GP cars should all have weight taken off!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner