Racing Gas
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Harvey West

--
05 Feb 2001 07:41 AM
    Is anyone else as unhappy as I am about having to use track racing gas (at $4 bucks per gallon or more) in AS? Unleaded 92 octane or 100 octane low lead aviation gas have worked fine in my Mustang, but I'm concerned they won't pass testing at the track. Last year, my aviation gas passed one test, and failed another. I'm not trying to cheat, I just don't like to get ripped off. The T1 and T2 drivers can legally use unleaded 92 or 93 octane unleaded,why can't we? I'm afraid the comp board thinks all AS drivers are rich.
    Peter Olivola

--
    05 Feb 2001 08:13 AM
    I don't think it's necessary or productive to throw around such accusations. The situation is very straight forward. T1 & T2 is a street gas class. AS isn't and wasn't intended to be from its inception. You might want to consider taking a lesson from the Formula Mazda contingent who faced a big problem last year and successfully petitioned to change to a street fuel class.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harvey West:
    [b]Is anyone else as unhappy as I am about having to use track racing gas (at $4 bucks per gallon or more) in AS? Unleaded 92 octane or 100 octane low lead aviation gas have worked fine in my Mustang, but I'm concerned they won't pass testing at the track. Last year, my aviation gas passed one test, and failed another. I'm not trying to cheat, I just don't like to get ripped off. The T1 and T2 drivers can legally use unleaded 92 or 93 octane unleaded,why can't we? I'm afraid the comp board thinks all AS drivers are rich.[/b]
    Ken Grammer

--
    06 Feb 2001 08:36 PM
    The thing that concerns me about the fuel rule is that we have two levels of "national" cars. For example, we have the National AS cars and the Regional AS cars. A guy competing at the Regional level may elect to build a "stock" bottom end for his AS, and therefore may have little, if any, need to run race fuel. The car I own started out in this category. On the other hand, a fully prepared AS engine needs racing fuel. But do I have to buy the expensive track gas or can I run racing fuel from other sources. How do I get my non-track gas "certified" before taking the chance that it won't pass muster?

Also, what happens if the track gas fails the SCCA fuel test? I've heard that this happened a few times last season to some guys!

I think I understand what the Comp Board is trying to do, but we seem to still have some kinks to work through. Hopefully this will all be sorted out soon. Like you, I hate the thought of forcing someone to spend more for gas then is actually required.

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    Peter Olivola

--
    07 Feb 2001 04:39 AM
    There is no requirement to use track gas. The requirement is that the gas pass the tests. The company selling the test equipment has a web site listing the test results for a very large number of fuels.

I could tell you what is done in my area when the track gas fails, but then I'd have to kill you. SCCAForums Image
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner