10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
pjracing57

--
31 Dec 2000 11:30 PM
    Hello to all.

After viewing some of the various forums, pertaing to formula racing, a few elements have caught my attention. First and fore most are the discussions in relation to the possibility of two new divisions of formula racing, which might be entering into the US. The Formula X and the Formula Renualt. Within these talks there seems to be a great concern as to how they might affect the current US classes. However it seems as if those talks have ended unanswered. Has there been a conclusion or is it still left unanswered?

The reason I am asking this is that after four years of racing, Sprint Cars and Midgets, I am looking at making a change to Formula racing, in the amateur ranks, with hopes of going Pro someday. At current I have applied to attend the Skip Barber racing school, at Laguna Seca, to obtain my regional license. However I am not sure where to go from their, which is another reason why the previous question has been asked.

I have talked to a couple people as to where one should start and the replies have been varied. Some say that the Formula Continental/2000 is the best place to start. Other say the Formula Mazda is the way to go. Just recently an individual suggested that the Skip Barber program was the ticket. Being that I do not come from a racing family and do not know many people within formula racing it has become frustrating. So I have come here to obtain more information to better aid my decision on where I should start. On a side note, "Happy New Year."

Sincerely,
    Justin C.
    RussMcB
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Jan 2001 07:01 AM
    I don't think you will find a definitive answer to your question. There are very many pros and cons to all of the formula classes. You should talk to as many people as possible and try to see the different types of cars up close. Then you may get a clearer picture of what would be best to accomplish your goals. The size of your body and wallet will be big factors in your choices.

I think Formula Mazda provides a lot of benefits: Great reliability, fairly consistent rules (you don't have to worry about a 1 year old car being uncompetitive), fairly fast, wings, and several opportunities to race it in televised pro races.

Don't get discouraged and don't rush into anything. Good luck.

Russ
    Keith Carter

--
    03 Jan 2001 07:36 PM
    You may want to check to see what is the most popular formula class in your geographic region. I recently found out that FC is much more dominant in the central and northeastern regions and I'm sure FM among other forms are more dominant elsewhere in the country. You won't get too much roadracing experience when you're the only car in your class. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen
    [EMAIL]keith@formulacontinental.com[/EMAIL]
    NoSlow

--
    09 Jan 2001 06:14 AM
    ...case in point. In the SWDiv, our race group (FF,F5 & FV) often starts as many as 40 cars on the grid... 6 or so FF, maybe 2 F5 and 25-30 Vees. The Vees may be the slowest class(which turns off many new comers) but they usually offer the most competition, challenge and great experience.

------------------
    M Squared Racing, #32FV
    SOWDIV Formula Vee
    http://www.m2racing.homepage.com
    Anubis

--
    13 Jan 2001 06:40 PM
    NoSlow, that is how our FA,FM,FC and CSR field is here in the southeast. The FV, F500 and FF group has alot less cars. IMHO it would be good to jump into a FV and run that for a year, you will quickly learn how to be smooth.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    JimFMracer

--
    24 Jan 2001 11:52 AM
    Justin
    All good advice from the other posters. Best part is bullet proof Mazda motor, cheap parts, good resale, intense racing!!

Based on your location in CA. I would say your only true choice is to go FM. This class rules in the west and central. Many FMers faster than FC and F2000. Also great steping stone to STAR PRO series which is televised.

Go chck out the FM Forum at: [url="http://pub8.ezboard.com/bformulamazdaforum"]http://pub8.ezboard.com/bformulamazdaforum[/URL]

Good luck
    JimFMRacer
    FM Forum Administrator
    SV56

--
    19 Feb 2001 01:00 PM
    Boy will this start a flame-out! If you really want to go pro (assuming that pro doesn't mean NASCAR) then take a look at Carroll Smith's recommendations in "Drive to Win". Go to England and work your way into F3, and see what doors open then. He makes some compelling arguments. Carroll has coached more racers than most and if you don't have a family name to open doors, then you have to make it on sheer talent. The talent is in England in higher quantity and a notch above the amateur ranks here - and european companies support amateur racing far beyond the level that american companies do.
    Ken Erb Velocity Motorspo

--
    20 Feb 2001 07:12 PM
    Besides some of the advantages already mentioned about the Formula Mazda is that it is a fairly large car, especially considering it is a formula car. I'm am 6'4" tall and weigh 210 lbs an I have had trouble fitting into the Barber cars, and FC's. This may not be an issue for you but I just thought you should know.

Ken

------------------
    Kenneth R. Erb

Velocity Motorsports
    512 Brickhaven Drive
    Suite 150
    Raleigh, NC 27606

(O)919-838-1234
    (M)919-696-1272

[url="http://www.velocitymotorsports.com"]www.velocitymotorsports.com[/URL]
    FASTNBLU

--
    28 Feb 2001 06:44 PM
    Have you noticed how everyone loves to pitch their class, I love it.
    you need to take a 35 minute drive march 17th, to buttonwillow raceway park for the "regional race" and first hand talk to all the formula guys, and dont just talk to one from each div, spend the weekend and talk to them all so you can judge for yourself the pro's and con to each, thats what I did and I feel I made the right choice for my budget, and thats usually what it comes down to.
    good luck.

------------------
    DARYL
    BRIGHTWELL
    PRO-7 #90
    CSCC SCCA
    Todd TCE

--
    22 Mar 2001 04:49 AM
    I can't believe that nobody has suggested Club Ford to this man. A bit more techno than FV, less expensive than FM or FC and good resale values. I totally agree that there are parts of the country that have larager fields in some classes than others so this should still be a consideration. If a driver is really new to driving open wheel cars of this nature, I believe that FM or FC may be a bit too much for the beginer.
    shooter31

--
    22 Mar 2001 03:17 PM
    as with all things.....this falls to money. how much do you want to spend? i'm a vee racer. it fits my budget, and with a little more seat time, i'll be able to be competitive within the bounds of what money i decide to spend on racing. if you've got big bucks, shoot for the stars! get a FC, hell......get an atlantic! but if you don't have megabucks....start simpler. as the previous post said, CF is a good place. more expensive than a vee, but not a bad place. the only problem with CF is as your skills progress, you can't move up to national racing. but if you're satisfied with running regionals (which isn't your intention from what i gather), you could do a lot worse. vee allows you to move up to nationals, as does FF, FC, FM, and such. it just depends on what you want to spend.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner