Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RussMcB
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Feb 2001 05:55 AM
    Last season I had some difficulties starting my recently acquired supervee (water-cooled 1600 VW, higher compression). My first thought was that the starter should be replaced/rebuilt/improved (Super Starter sounded good, until I found out the price). Then I was told that the problem was more likely battery power. I bought a big Yellow-Top Optima but now I realize that it is just too heavy to use in a formula car. I think it is around 45 lb.

The battery-formerly-known-as-Varley looks really nice, but very expensive.

I do plan to use a jump battery routinely, but I'd like to be able to start the car when I have no crew readily available and I'm all strapped in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Phantom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Feb 2001 08:59 PM
    Check out Hawker Energy at [url="http://www.hepi.com"]www.hepi.com[/URL] .Their Genesis line of battery should do. I have been using it for years. They can be recharged with UNLIMITED current, making it possible to top up the battery real quick if you have a high amperage charger. Charge voltage is critical, read their tech info on charging technique.

Joe
    SV56

--
    19 Feb 2001 12:26 PM
    I have an air-cooled SV. I bought a Varley red top four years ago, let it sit uncharged for 18 months, and then charged it up using the low current setting on a standard charger. It will start and run my car for an entire weekend, including a school weekend where I had to start the car about 30 times. I use one of those wal-mart miniature battery maintainers to keep it up between events. I have five event weekends on it and many, many starts around the shop and garage, and have seen no decrease in performance. It beats the hell out of my 600CCA deep cycle I have on my pit cart. If I use the pit cart I have the cutoff switch set so that it will run off the pit cart when in the OFF position. On puts the varley in the circuit and we yank the pit cart out at the same time w turn the switch. Varley's been well worth the $ for me.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner