Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RussMcB
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Aug 2002 06:39 AM
    Is there an easy/good way to check the transmission oil level in a Hewland Mark 9? All I know is that I should add a quart after changing gears, but how can I check it from time to time if I haven't opened the gearbox in a while?

TIA.

------------------
    Russ McBride
    #1 FA Ralt RT-5
    Atlanta Region
    Randy3

--
    10 Sep 2002 10:09 PM
    The best way is to drain the oil along with all the dogring particles floating in it and refill with the proper amount. If you've used it one session there's enough metal in there to get rid of it.

How many people use magnetic drain plugs? I can't understand why everbody doesn't?

Happy Racing!
    PJ

--
    12 Sep 2002 06:31 PM
    Drain plug on a Mk 9 gearbox, that is a new one on me.

One quart added after a gear change should be good. Or if you want to do the old finger dip stick check, remove the side plug (left side) and insert an index finger up to the first finger joint and bend it downward inside the gearbox. If you have gear oil on the tip of that finger, you have enough oil. This level usually requires about a quart and a half to register on the finger.
    Some folks make a dip stick out of a piece of thin aluminum with a 1 inch bend will work as well.
    RussMcB
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Sep 2002 09:45 PM
    Thanks, PJ. That's exactly what I was looking for (and I've heard the same advice from a few sources, so it sounds good).
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner