4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bernard

--
20 Apr 2003 09:45 PM
    Hello:

I want my next race car to be a purpose built, open cockpit race car. Spec Racer Ford is among my choices (S2 another one). Being a thrifty guy, I noticed that Renault-powered Spec Racers are available at a bargain price. My question therefore: is it possible (financially feasable) to buy a SRR and convert it to a SRF? Is it just the engine or is it more?
    Thank you!
    SCCAThumper

--
    05 May 2003 02:46 PM
    Don't take my word as gospel, but I think it might be a chore to find a "Sport Rambo" that isn't bent or just plain old tired steel.
    Remember that while you continuously flex steel, it loses rigidity. if the SRR is cheap then take a shot, but make sure there is a logbook and how many times it took a visit to TECH during the race season. That might give you an idea how many times it was bent, no promises though.
    Marie90

--
    30 May 2003 01:11 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernard:
    [b]Hello:

I want my next race car to be a purpose built, open cockpit race car. Spec Racer Ford is among my choices (S2 another one). Being a thrifty guy, I noticed that Renault-powered Spec Racers are available at a bargain price. My question therefore: is it possible (financially feasable) to buy a SRR and convert it to a SRF? Is it just the engine or is it more?
    Thank you![/b]

I would email you, but none listed.
    [url="http://www.specracer.com/forums/default.asp wrote:
    http://www.specracer.com/forums/default.asp[/URL]

Ask these SRF racers. Also if you look in Sportscar you will find ads for people buying SRR because some groups still run them.

Enterprises had/has conversion kits. It's more than just a motor swap.

[This message has been edited by Marie90 (edited May 30, 2003).]
    Jim Colombotos

--
    07 Oct 2005 11:10 AM
    Give Ric Heer a call he has a renault car and has done probably over a 100 conversions nice guy !
    CSR Performance, Rescue Ca. About 30 miles east of Sacarmento. Dont have # handy but 411 will get you there.
    Tell him Jimmy sent ya!
    JC

Pinecone

--
    16 Oct 2005 06:31 AM
    Sorry, but SRF chassis are so over built that they don't get tired, they would have to actually flex to do that. :) Chassis number 003 recently sold, and for pretty much the same price as a later one.

As for converting, I do no think the kits are available any longer, so you would have to buy all the pieces. The engine is something like $3800 new, plus a tranny (at this time NO new ones available). Plus axles and other parts to make the switch, mounts, header, fuel pump, wiring, ECU, pumbling, etc, etc.

So figure the Renault car would have to be some $5 - 6K LESS to be financially similar, and you have a bit of work ahead of you.

Better to buy a good used SRF for $18K +/- and go racing.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner