Towing Eyes
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bob Sanders

--
28 Dec 2000 07:43 PM
    Good evening to everyone in RMD. While bench racing over the upcoming season, don't forget those towing eyes. Check your GCR, 17.31. And remember the Comp Board has indicated that the A pillar, roof type are not consistant with the GCR. And while you working on your car, think what you'll need to Tow it in, in the air, one end or the other. If it takes to long, your buddies are going to lose race time and it may damage your car. But the Chief Steward says move it, now! If you need suggestions, contact me.
    Bob Sanders
    Chief of Emergency Services
    See you at the races!!!
    Maverick_WH

--
    29 Dec 2000 06:56 AM
    I'm new here.

What exactly is GCR?

------------------
    [b]Vortech'd 2000 SS Convertible #0348[/b] (Lt Pewter)

[i](All numbers are uncorrected at Bandimere - 5800')[/i]
    518.1 RWHP, 487.3 TQ
    13.069 @ 113.80 MPH

[url="http://www.users.qwest.net/~schilds/MyCar"]Details and pics [i](including Vortech install pics)[/i][/URL]
    Bob Sanders

--
    29 Dec 2000 04:58 PM
    The GCR is the General Competition Rules for the Sports Car Club of America, in this case as relates to road racing. Come join us and well show you how to turn left and right, with lots of cars on the track at the same time. It provides a lot of technical and administrative information to the member.
    Thanks, Sandy
    Maverick_WH

--
    30 Dec 2000 05:57 PM
    Sounds good. I'll take any advice that leads to better, safer driving.

SCCAForums Image
    davegt27

--
    08 Jan 2001 02:51 PM
    thanks Bob i have one of those towing eyes like the trans am cars have, is that what you mean?

the towing eye is kinda on the roof. the thing worked pretty good since i got towed off the course several times at the Lajuinta drivers school :-(

I guesss i need to move it.
    maybe i could just add another one down low
    any thoughts

davegt27

------------------
    davegt27
    Opel GT
    MR2 MKI
    Bob Sanders

--
    08 Jan 2001 07:56 PM
    Dave, when I talk about the towing eyes, I'm looking at three (3) situations. 1. If it needs to be "flat towed", on an asphalt surface, then the roof mount will work. 2. If you have to be pulled out of a sand area, or out of mud. or off the tire wall, the roof mount won't work. Tends to pull the car sideways and with a high center of gravity, tends to roll the car. Not good. And 3. If you have to be recovered and lifted, one end or the other, the roof mount obviously won't work at all. For this situation, you need to take the helmet off and LOOK at your car. If you don't have 2 secure devices i.e. towing eyes, on the front and 2 on the rear of your car, the logical question for you to answer is "WHAT DO I WANT BENT OR DAMAGED, ON MY CAR, IN ORDER TO GET MY CAR OFF THE TRACK AND INTO THE PADDOCK?" You must realize that tow truck drivers may be directed, by the Chief Steward, to remove a vehicle from the track, NOW! For the safety of the other racers and the workers, it has to go. If you have towing eyes that will support the weight of whichever half of the car that needs to be lifted, that recovery is quick, safe and does far less damage than a J Hook.
    now, some racers will suggest using a roll back (same as a flat bed tow truck) to do the job. Those type of recoveries work well if the winch cable can be attached low, not on the roof. Tends to break fiberglass. And they don't work well if you have to winch from the rear. Most regions don't have 2 types of tow trucks at the majority of the races and the hook type is more versital for all types of race cars. Think aboutit. You're from Colorado. Come to the Crash and Burn event at PPIR on March 17/18. Bring your car. I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about. I haven't met a tow truck operator yet that wants to damage a race car and send the driver home. We want to get you back on the track and back racing. Seeing you win is where we have our fun!
    Bob Sanders
    Chief/Emergency Services
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner