Emergency Services Sponsor
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bob Sanders

--
18 Jan 2001 05:28 PM
    Like it said inside the SpecRacer Ford that I took my drivers school in, "It's not if you have a wreck, but when." We are all sadened by the accident of David Fisher in Phoenix. I was on the Emergency Services Team that extricated David from his car. I am determined to be more diligent in the preparation of equipment and personnel in Colorado and Continental Divide Regions. The accident at PIR was very serious and the ES Team did everything they could. The outcome was already in motion when David hit the wall. I know that this will happen again and I would very much like to be even more prepared than we are now. To that end, I am looking for a sponsor for Emergency Services equipment and training. We would like to talk with anyone willing to provide funds to upgrade and augment our existing vehicles and equipment and to possibly help with further training and certification.
    Jeff Sheppard has a letter in the Feburary issue of Sports Car, about the HANS device. The P.S. reads "If readers are thinking of tax planning, think of your emergency crews." Contact me if you would like to help, if you would like to join our Emergency Services Team or if you have ideas.

Bob Sanders
    Chief, Emergency Services
    CDR/CO Regions
    Rocky Mountain Division
    FASTNBLU

--
    16 Feb 2001 10:00 PM
    After I heard about that accident I looked into the hans device and was blown away by the price, there must be a way to get those things more affordable. I understand a lot of money was poured into development but are these people not racers? do they not want every racer out there to have the best safty equipment possible? I saw their patents and what i see is greed. Im sure they started out with a noble cause but its unfortunate how it turned out. I know of only a few racers who could shell out $2000 for a neck collar. It's sad.

------------------
    DARYL
    BRIGHTWELL
    PRO-7 #90
    CSCC SCCA
    dplore

--
    17 Feb 2001 08:32 AM
    The HANS device and it's exotic price tag
    are targeted at CART, F1 and so on. Perhaps
    sometime Downing will make one targeted
    for club racers.

That being said, I do see a lot of drivers
    who don't or won't wear simple neck collars
    that are about $45 - $65. They are really
    pretty comfortable once you get used to them.
    They don't provide protection close to the
    HANS device, but they can help prevent
    many neck injuries and they're cheap.
    When I am driving, I can't even tell I
    have it on.

-Darren

------------------
    -Darren Loher
    SCCAForums Image
    Bob Sanders

--
    17 Feb 2001 04:44 PM
    Hey, guys, everything is relative! Have you checked the price on a new Chevy Silverado pickup lately? Can you remember what the first computers cost? Those prices will go down, as more people use them. Darren has a good point about the simple neck brace. Sprint car drivers use them a lot. Our Emergency Services Team is training and working toward the inevitable. Racing is dangerous and those of us who work on the other side of the race car, need to be well equipped, well trained and well prepared. I won't go into the specifics, but there are drivers that have put up money for things other than safety, to regions, that would have bought probably 50 HANS devices. But that is what they feel is important to there racing program, and I understand that. I feel our Emergency Services needs another vehicle, more extrication and safety equipment, more training, updated Medical and Safety Manuals (the most current one in SCCA is dated 1979!) and new dispatch and operational protocols and procedures.
    One driver told me his 15 year old race car is 8 SECONDS faster on the same track he started on 15 years ago. But our Medical and Safety manual is 22 years old!! Don't all of you feel its time to step up and get Emergency Services as least as fast as you guys are going??? Most of my crews don't have protective fire gear ( neither do the corner workers), yet all of them take their time to train and be ready for just about anything that can happen. And if anyone says "this won't happen here", it must be your first race or your last. If you really want to help safety, donate those funds, donate some of your expertise, donate your time, come pick up a race car with a flat tire and hope thats all that happens today. Support your local Emergency Services Team!!

Bob Sanders
    Chief, Emergency Services "The Wild Bunch"
    CDR/CO Regions
    Bob Sanders

--
    18 Feb 2001 06:02 PM
    This is a very hard time for me. Dale Earnhardt is dead at the Daytona 500. I need all the SCCA members to think about where the safety issue is in this club. Steve said safe, fun and fair. This is supposed to be a fun racing club, but you guys are going faster and quicker ( there is a difference); a bunch of racing nuts having a good weekend. You ALL need to be as concerned about your Emergency Services Team as much as you are concerned about the preparation of your car and your own personal safety equipment. Do it people and do it now. Support your local Emergency Services Team.

Bob Sanders
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner