Oregon Shootout Invitational
 13 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rosss

--
22 Oct 2003 09:36 AM
    The 2nd annual Oregion Shootout Invitational is happening this weekend (October 25th and 26th) in Redmond, Oregon.

Who, besides for me and last year's Top Dawg overall winner Chris "Speedy" Hartman, will be there?

Sean
    [url="http://www.subrew.com"]www.subrew.com[/URL]
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Oct 2003 10:05 AM
    INFO, we need info....
    JimD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Oct 2003 12:30 PM
    It's an invitation-only event held in Redmond (near Bend) in central Oregon. The hosting club is ACCO (Autocross Club of Central Oregon), and the guy behind it all is David Boyd (FP Sunbeam Tiger).

He invites class winners from the various Oregon autocross series, and has each club design a course. Two courses per day, four courses total. He paxes the whole thing for an overall winner. Chris Hartman won last year.

Fun event. I can't make it this year due to a date conflict with the Oregon SCCA awards dinner.

Jim
    subrew.com

--
    22 Oct 2003 12:46 PM
    kind of a bummer it coincides with the Oregon Solo awards banquet...but it is hard getting good weekends this late in the year. Hopefully, we'll have a good turnout from the Medford, Eugene, and Salem clubs.

Hey Sean...maybe we should be preparred to design a course, on behalf of ORSCCA, in case nody else shows up.

Just a thought.

Chris H.
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Oct 2003 03:07 PM
    Darn.... I don't have anything to do this weekend.
    adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Oct 2003 07:22 PM
    I'm torn... I have an invitation, tires and "Zeke." How do I hit both the event and the banquet?

BTW... any stipulation about driving the car you earned the invitation in?

Andy
    rosss

--
    22 Oct 2003 07:53 PM
    Andy: It's probably a 2.5 to 3 hour trip from Redmond to the Portland area. Assuming that's where the banquet is, you'd probably only be able to make it back if the banquet is later than 8:00 or 9:00. I didn't get out of there 'til 5:30 (or maybe a bit later) of Sunday last year. That'll vary a bunch on how well the event goes and the amount of turnout too. You could always come and do three of the four events just for fun (believe me, with the DSP pax and my car's prep level, I'm only gonna be there for fun ;) )

Keith: It is an invitational event, but last year the organizers offered up some spots for people that showed up uninvited (but those folks just happened to be locals that showed up). Probably not worth a drive down from Seattle for that slim chance.

Chris: Of course I'll be glad to help with anything on behalf of ORSCCA (or anybody else!) if folks need me.

With the banquet conflict, will *any* of the ORSCCA folks be showing up? I'm an SCCA member, but I only made one event this year up there due to scheduling conflicts :(

It should be a very fun event, and the weather reports all look excellent. Hopefully it'll end up a great end to our season.

Hope to see as many of you as possible there!

Sean
    rosss

--
    22 Oct 2003 07:59 PM
    Andy,

Sorry, I forgot to give my opinion about your question on driving the car you were invited in: I don't think it matters. Dave just needs to know what you're driving so you get PAXed correctly. It seems like there were people in different classes last year but I can't remember for sure. I imagine he wouldn't care, but you could always give him a call or an e-mail (I don't have his info handy though...)

Re-reading that, I don't think I was much help at all, sorry...

Sean
    DW

--
    23 Oct 2003 04:52 PM
    I would love to make it, and was planning on it, but I cannot due to circumstances beyond my control - the pressing need install drainage in the backyard.

Dave
    98R417
    rosss

--
    24 Oct 2003 09:36 AM
    Dave!

Bummer you're not going to be there, although it increases the rest of our chances on PAX a bit! ;)

I guess if me and Chris are the only folks that show up we'll get the fancy trophies. Heh.

I hope lots of folks that don't post here end up showing though, it's a fun event and I'd hate for David Boyd to end up with a low turnout (again).

The weather's supposed to be great! My car's all packed and ready to go. Heading over the mountains tonight so I can get settled in and get my tires changed and then sleep in tomorrow.

Hope to see *some* friendly faces there...

Sean
    nw98typer

--
    26 Oct 2003 08:32 PM
    Sean,
    Please provide details and results...

I hope that it was a good event and that David was able to get good turnout this year. I know that I would have returned again had it not been for the conflict with the OR region.

This is a really good thing that David's doing and I'd recommend to everyone eligible that they attend. It was ton's of fun last year, and I hope to make it next year.

Michael.
    rosss

--
    27 Oct 2003 09:02 AM
    OK, here's a brief summary, we'll do more with some pictures and post it at our site:

First, the nitty-gritty, top five overall results:

1st: Eric Armstrong (D-Prepared Fiat X1/9)
    2nd: Tom Kotzian (SS Z06)
    3rd: Steve Wynne (HS Mazda Protege)
    4th: Chris Hartman (STS Subaru Impreza)
    5th: Mark Johnson (OSPU VW Rabbit)

I'm fairly certain I was 6th overall, since I was ahead of Mark after day 1. They only announced the top 5 though.

They also broke it down into class groups so there were some different trophies (last year the winner of each individual course got a trophy). The combined classes were:

Stock and Street Touring
    Street Prepared
    Prepared and Over Street Prepared (Street Mod might have been grouped there too, I can't remember).
    Modified and Karts (I think)

The winners of those classes were:

Stock: Tom Kotzian
    SP: Me (Yay! Big thanks go to Jim Daniels for not showing up in his CSP Miata ;) )
    Prepared: Eric Armstrong
    Modified: Gavin (can't remember his last name, he was a kid in a cart)

So, overall it was fun, although I personally only liked one of the courses, and it was the one we ran first (when it was cold and dirty). The other three courses all had several very tight sections and didn't agree with my slow steering rack. Chris and I both had cone trouble, which definitely shifted the results. We were sitting 3rd and 5th after Saturday, but both of us were dirty on our fastest runs on Sunday so we lost nearly a second to drop back behind Steve and Mark. A bit frustrating way to end the event, but still a decent overall result.

Turnout seemed decent, probably 50 folks (a bit more than last year). The event ran smoothly, started pretty much on time each day and we were out of there each afternoon by around 4:00.

Oh, they actually gave out pretty nice trophies. Each class winner got a silver-plated wine holder/rack with four wine glasses. The course designers each got t-shirts and some sort of decorative bowl. The overall Top Dawg winner got a silver serving platter and a 'Top Dawg' sweat shirt. Not too shabby!

We'll have a few photos up on the site soon, and ACCO should have the full results up soon as well.

Big thanks to everybody involved! Be sure to win your local championships next year so you can make it to this great event!

Sean
    SteveW
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2003 07:40 PM
    I sure had a blast this weekend. I've been running with the ACCO club all year and they are great people!!!! It's also very nice to have events only two miles away instead of a minimum of two hours away.

Nice to see all you guys from "the Valley" over here in the desert :)

Steve W.
    ACCO #96 HS
    rosss

--
    18 Nov 2003 09:48 AM
    ACCO has the results up at [url="http://www.autoxclub.org"]www.autoxclub.org[/URL] and I've finally got some photos and a brief writeup at our site.

Sean
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner