Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MGB GTR
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
24 Oct 2003 01:51 PM
    I am aiming this question towards Jim D but any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to know the positives and negatives to the Hoosier bias ply autocrosser 225/45/13. Is it better than the A3so3 in that size. How long do they last, how sticky are they and when are they better and so forth. Kyle
    gorper

--
    25 Oct 2003 04:08 PM
    I think Dieter runs (ran?) on a set of autocrossers. dunno if he's here; maybe ask via nwautox@wwscc.org?

-Hans
    Slow old blue Saab 900 #89
    JimD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2003 06:05 AM
    Kyle,

Beats me... I've never run the bias-ply Hoosiers, only the radials. I understand the bias-plys drive very differently from the radials, but's that's only what I've been told. As far as I know, Dieter's the only one using them locally.

Jim
    turbospl311

--
    27 Oct 2003 09:01 AM
    I ran the 13" Bias plys on my e-Mod Datsun Roadster when I started the build project and for the first 2 years. I really liked them. They were very predictable but did heat up very fast and I liked to keep them cool with water. High Horsepower caused ne to move from these to actual R25 slicks. CAr weight was 1950 pounds and horsepower at the time was about 275. When I hit 350 I changed to the slicks.

Don Miller
    was 1968 Datsun Roadster
    Now b-Mod something snowmobile powered.
    johng

--
    11 Nov 2003 09:38 AM
    Kyle,
    I've ran the 225-45/13 bias-ply's on my old CSP Civic and really liked them. IMO, they are the tire to have in cold weather (like we have for 2/3 of the season. They feel a little more squirmey than the radials at first so you have to get used to that, but they do reward a aggressive driving style. The tread pattern makes for a decent rain tire also.

I feel they grip well all the way through their life and depending on your schedule, they may last a full season. Bias-ply's require running lower tire pressures and flipping more often for even wear. Talk to Dieter in person for more info.

$.02
    John
    johng

--
    11 Nov 2003 09:47 AM
    edit
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Nov 2003 10:24 AM
    I think Dieter was running 22 or 23 psi at Regional #8 in an attempt to get some grip.

Tim
    MGB GTR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Nov 2003 10:59 AM
    22-23 psi...WOW... I would have thought since they were so sticky out of the box that they might get greasy when run that low. kyle
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Nov 2003 11:15 AM
    It was snowing (or had been earlier). The best weather of the day was 45 and sunny with a dry track (PM). Dieter ran in the morning where the best was probably no/light rain and around 40.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner