New.....
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Foote

--
23 Dec 2003 08:28 PM
    I'm new as you can see, from Seattle. Been racing in the Champs karting league for almost a year now (please don't laugh. It taught me and made me much better). I'm looking to buy some sort of formula car to race up here out at Brem, and SIR, etc.

I basically want to get into any formula class we have up here that isn't too expensive. thank's for your time.
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Dec 2003 08:35 PM
    How much money do you have to burn? FVee or F500 (the cheapest open wheel) probably cost around $7-10k to get set up and at least that much per year (assuming you don't bend anything major).

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, there's outdoor karting and autocross (kart or car). Check out http://www.nwr-scca.org for road race, rally, and autocross. I'm not up much on the karting scene, but Champs should be able to help you there.

If you are interested in further track education, check out [url="http://www.proformanceraceschool.com/"]Proformance Race School[/URL] at Pacific Raceways.

Best of luck, autocross season starts in earnest in March.
    Patrick Washburn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Dec 2003 08:53 AM
    I'll post this since I'm selling a CM Formula Ford. $15,000 gets you an entire turn key setup including car with tons of spares, trailer, and custom built pit cart that contains the jump battery, nitrogen supply, and a bunch of other stuff. This is a Nationally competitive setup, with all the hard work already done. FF is one of the funest and fastest cars at a reasonable price. You can Road Race it with minimal changes too. See my ad "CM Formula Ford" in the for sale section, or just let me nkow if you want more information. Let me know if you want to know more about these cars and the class, even if your not considering buying mine...I owuld be happy to fill you in on all the details. Thanks and have a great holiday season!
    Foote

--
    24 Dec 2003 01:33 PM
    Well, i Met a guy online who is a mechanic for a team in the "pro SCCA class" i think it is. (it's on speed quite a bit) He said he would be able to get me a rolling chassis for $2200, so i was thinking that was the way to go. But with the prices you guys have been giving me, i'm expecting it to be a lot more if i were to buy from someone else.
    thumpu77

--
    25 Dec 2003 10:20 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Foote:
    Well, i Met a guy online who is a mechanic for a team in the "pro SCCA class" i think it is. (it's on speed quite a bit) He said he would be able to get me a rolling chassis for $2200, so i was thinking that was the way to go. But with the prices you guys have been giving me, i'm expecting it to be a lot more if i were to buy from someone else.
    "Rolling Chassis" usually means no engine, transmission, and quite a few other vital parts could be missing as well. By the time you have that vehicle running and race worthy, you'll probably be at least $15,000 into it. To build it into something nationally competitive would most likely take even more.
    Foote

--
    26 Dec 2003 07:13 PM
    Yes, i know what a rolling chassis is. It was a Formula Vee Btw, which seems to be the cheapest class i presume? Now i have another question. Would i be able to take an Ultima and just enter the Pro Stock Class?? Or does it depend on which engine i have. Would it be a kit car class??
    GreenCrossle

--
    27 Dec 2003 06:40 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Foote:
    Yes, i know what a rolling chassis is. It was a Formula Vee Btw, which seems to be the cheapest class i presume? Now i have another question. Would i be able to take an Ultima and just enter the Pro Stock Class?? Or does it depend on which engine i have. Would it be a kit car class??
    Suggestion: Go to the SCCA website and buy the GCR. Read it thoroughly, particularly before buying anything. Once you find a car you're interested in, look closely at the changed sections of the GCR that pertain to the car - they're highlighted with black bars in the margins. If there have been rule changes to the class, you'll have to make the upgrades before entering an event, so check out the cost before buying.

I would suggest that you NOT try to build a race car from a street car for your first venture. It will cost more [yes, it will - trust me on this point], take more time, and you won't be likely to be competitive with pro-built cars. Buy something that's already been raced, get your license and learn how things work in this type of racing. Then you can decide if you want to try to build a car.

Any car you buy should have a current logbook, and should probably have an annual tech inspection from 2003. If it doesn't, you may find that certain rules have changed prior to the current GCR, and the car therefore requires modifications that may not be easy to figure out to run in 2004.

Also, before buying ANY older formula car, check to see if the rollcage front and rear hoops meet the new (1995, I think) specifications. Many have been upgraded, but if an older car has been used for solo, run with another group (ICSCC in your area) or has just sat idle, it may not be legal without modification. This mod can be simple (older Crossles), or just plain prohibitively expensive (some of the one-off Vees).

In your area, you should go to the Oregon Region website and look up the Club Ford rules. Club Ford is a regional class for older Formula Fords with outboard suspension. and there are quite a few in your area. The CF rules can vary a bit from place to place, but it's generally loose enough that you can run without being protested, as long as you meet the safety criteria. Northwest Region also runs CF, but I don't think they have the rules posted on their site.

IMHO, if you're interested in open-wheel, you should look at Formula V, Formula 500, and Club Ford. Unless you have a REALLY big budget, you'll have trouble being competitive in Formula Ford; the National fast guys run newer $40K+ chassis with $10K+ engines from Ivey or Loyning (both in Portland), and run new, really soft tires, every race. With a karting background, you'd probably really like F500, and there a few really good nationally-competitive cars available for ~12K or so right now (www.f500.org). FV is slower, but less expensive; probably more like $8K for a reasonable used car. A good Club Ford is probably also $12K or so in your area [some will be higher], but the maintenance cost will be higher than on a F500. Watch for the roll-hoop issue here; ICSCC does not require the upgrade, so there are a few cars out there that aren't legal for SCCA. All told, F500 is probably the best speed/cost value; FV is the rock-bottom cheapest open-wheeler, and CF probably has the most cars in your area.

Hope this helps....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner