You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
megatron
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jun 2004 03:23 PM
    For daily use?

I have this 944 Turbo that I'm going to daily drive this summer. I'm getting it sealed and spiffied up and it needs new tires. I'm not really going to run autocrosses with this car, but I'd like to have some decent tires on it.

I could either go Kumho MX like I'm running on my Street Mod M3 (which sees a good deal of street use) or just be "hardcore" about it and run R-comps on the street.

Given the rain here in the Seattle area is mostly "spit", you guys think it would be OK to run these full tread Ecstas on the street? For what it's worth I'm of the opinion that 6-7000 miles on a set of tires would be plenty.

Ryan
    michaelv

--
    10 Jun 2004 03:32 PM
    I don't know the answer, but my biggest question would be "why?", when there are so many excellent high-performance street tires, like the Toyo Proxes T1-S. I think this would give you excellent performance, in the sun and in the rain.

Just my uneducated observation...
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 03:37 PM
    Glen used to drive his 924S on Victoracers all the time. Drive to the event, race, drive home, drive to the grocery store, etc. When his GTI bit the dust he had to buy street tires for the Porsche because he didn't have any. (by then he started using Hoosiers)

The Ecstas probably have better wet grip, but I'd go with the Victos.
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 03:59 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Z Me:
    I don't know the answer, but my biggest question would be "why?", when there are so many excellent high-performance street tires, like the Toyo Proxes T1-S. I think this would give you excellent performance, in the sun and in the rain.

Just my uneducated observation...
    ok i lied, i plan on running some pca events with it, and maybe even some open street just for fun, but it's going to be a daily driver.

victoracers on a street car just seems so "diehard" (ie: "stupid") that i think i might just try it. :D
    rambler

--
    10 Jun 2004 04:19 PM
    do they make the Toyo RA1 in the size you are looking for? Excellent rain race tire ;)

Nash
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 04:28 PM
    That's a better suggestion. ^^
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 05:57 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by rambler:
    do they make the Toyo RA1 in the size you are looking for? Excellent rain race tire ;)

Nash
    good idea! any suggestion on best place to buy em?
    jbrennen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 05:59 PM
    Go with the Toyo RA1. The most streetable of the R's, from what I understand. They don't seem to heat cycle themselves to death -- in fact, most think they get better as they wear down. (Well, of course at some point, they stop being good rain tires due to lack of tread depth...)

I'm in a similar situation with my Evo -- the OEM tires are just about toast, I want good summer (dry and wet) tires which are decent for autoX as well, and durability is not a big concern. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Toyo RA1. And my car is a daily driver -- at least for the time being.

Note that full tread depth RA1s are not ideal for dry autoX, but still probably better than any true street tire (like an Azenis Sport).
    jbrennen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 06:05 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by megatron:
    good idea! any suggestion on best place to buy em?
    Have you heard of http://www.tireswap.com/ ?

You drove the Tireswap.com "sponsored" car last weekend... :D
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 06:17 PM
    whoa, wsup jack! yeah, i think i'll give eric a call. :D the only think i'm concerned about is the shipping thing. those tires i got for the 968 from eric worked damn well.
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 06:22 PM
    Nobody local will have them in stock, so check the price at Les Schwab and at [url="http://www.onlinetires.com"]www.onlinetires.com[/URL]
    panzrwagn

--
    10 Jun 2004 07:28 PM
    Don't forget about Falken Azenis Sports. They are fabulous, cheap and sticky. and are much better in the rain than their reputation. I would avoid standing puddles though.

Or you could put Falkens on the M3, and the Kumhos on the 944 if the sizing works for you. Would help those SM times a second or more.

The Falkens do like a lot of air, I run 44 / 42 cold on my 325is with no rollover, you can go to 50 (!) if you have enough suspension to do all the work.

They are stiff, but not as noisy as some claim if you drain some air around town ~ 35Lbs or so.
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 07:59 PM
    panzrwagn, unfortunately the azenis doesn't have sizing for the 951 nor very good sizing for the m3, which is why i roll around on the mx's for the street on that car. we run hoosiers on the m3, but my recent local results what with all those cones and crashing and whatnot would suggest i'm running snow tires or something. ;)

as it turns out, tireswap.com has the best pricing i can find. :D i'll probably give eric a call tomorrow.

thanks for all of the advice, guys! looks like ra1 it will be.
    JerryLamb
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 09:09 PM
    From July 2003 until about March, the 330 was on shaved Ecsta's (except for the trip to Topeka). It made me a little nervous, and I was very careful, when it rained hard or snowed (slush 2), but was not too much of a problem. The 330 has excellent stability control though. I got about 4000 miles before I put MXs on.

PCA people correct me on this, but...
    If you put R compounds on you have to run in P2 instead of S2, a tougher class.

Edit: You may want to run in P2 for better competition.
    MGB GTR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 09:38 PM
    yep. Race tires=P2(for a 951). Although many PCA guys often run street tires in P classes also. Kinda laid back. Kyle
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jun 2004 09:49 PM
    yah, i've run p2 with my 968 before. p2 is a very tough class for a 944 chassis. s2 is pretty hotly contested however.

with the stuff that's going into this 951, it might end up being mod, however. we'll see. power corrupts. the thought of 400+ bolt on whp in a 2600lb car corrupts absolutely.
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2004 01:14 PM
    Sorry to bring this back up, but I found a great deal on a set of the same wheels I have now with some 50% used A032Rs (used only at track events) on them, shipped for less that the price of new Toyos before shipping.

Perhaps I could get that, sell the wheels/tires that are on the car and end up with the tires for about a hundred bux or so.

Anyone have experience with half-worn A032Rs?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    MGB GTR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2004 01:51 PM
    from what I here they are like azenis. Having never drove on them, I don't know for certain. Kyle
    MGB GTR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2004 01:52 PM
    What wheels would you sell? Fuchs? Kyle
    megatron
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2004 03:43 PM
    phone dials. i wish fuchs. :D
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner