Rookie IT tires?
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CMerritt

--
29 Dec 2000 10:26 AM
    I'm buying an ITS 240Z and intend to take the SFR race licensing school at Thunderhill come February and then compete in 3-4 races throughout this season.

I need a set of tires, and from what I have heard Hoosiers, while fastest, are easy to flat spot and it's going to take some time for my skills to catch up to the last few percentage points where the Hoosiers will shine over other tires. So, any advice on what to get? Toyos? Kumhos? Just go get some Hoosiers and stop whining? =P.

Thanks.

-Carl
    BMWRacerITS

--
    29 Dec 2000 10:29 AM
    I'd go with Kumho's or Toyo's.

Yokohama's are also a pretty decent beginning tire, though not as fast as the above.
    CMerritt

--
    29 Dec 2000 10:34 AM
    I've heard the V700s, while very good for AutoX (though primarily for larger cars), they will start to overheat and loose traction after 20 minutes of lapping at the track. True? Maybe a 240Z is light enough to avoid such problems...I have certainly heard that they are quite durable and deliver excellent performance when compared with the expected life from the tires.
    BMWRacerITS

--
    29 Dec 2000 10:44 AM
    The only car I have run Kumho's on to this point is my father's M3. The car weighs in at about 2,850.

These tires were full tread, un-shaved, and did begin to give out after about 25 hard running minutes. However, shaved and on a lighter car, I would guess that they would be just fine.
    mazmarc

--
    29 Dec 2000 11:05 AM
    Sounds like you are already getting good information. I have used all the tire brands on my '86 ITS Rx-7 including Goodyear and Yokohama. For the money AND longivity the Toyos are the way to go. I have run Hoosiers for 4 years and while they are the fastest(Goodyear also)they are also the most fragile. (I have destroyed more than one new right front by flatspotting it)I have found that with proper breakin of the Hoosier they are more durable and will last longer. And boy do they slide good.:-)

------------------
    Marc
    CMerritt

--
    29 Dec 2000 11:07 AM
    What's a good source for information on Toyos? TireRack doesn't carry them so I'm a bit in the dark on their product line.
    Silkworm

--
    31 Dec 2000 10:49 PM
    [url="http://www.toyo.com"]http://www.toyo.com[/URL] is a good start, the racers are running on Proxes RA-1s, which aren't a very fast tire, IMHO, but they last half of forever. I get mine at AIM, at Sears Point Raceway.

Regards,

Paul Cabana

------------------
    99 Bright Red Trans Am, M6, not stock
    88 Mazda RX-7, PS-1/ITS racecar, construction underway
    87 GMC Suburban, 454, tow vehicle
    Check out my website: [url="http://www.lcaf.com"]http://www.lcaf.com[/URL]
    Come see pictures of club racers/Open trackers at NorCal tracks: [url="http://www.headonphotos.com"]http://www.headonphotos.com[/URL]
    [/URL]
    ITA-MR2

--
    01 Jan 2001 12:38 PM
    Carl,

There are two items that lead to my recommendation.

1). You are a new driver, therefore durability and predictability should be paramount in your selection. Until you've got some races under your belt, you aren't ready to explore the upper limits of tire adhesion - and having an extremely quick, but quirky tire isn't where you need to be right now.

2). Also, to most new (as well as old) racers, money is important. For now, stick with the less expensive tire - on a cost per hour basis.

Conclusion: Get the Kumho's, and buy them shaved to 4/32 and heat cycled. They are slightly heavy, and not the fastest thing around. But they are so far above any regular street tire that you will be shocked - and they are virtually indestructible. You'll probably go through about 2 sets of them before you really need to go to something else.

Also, nobody mentioned the other tires - rains - Hoosier Dirt Stockers (bias ply), without any doubt. They are reasonably inexpensive and fantastic in the wet. But if the track is even thinking of developing dry spots, don't put them on! You will blister them in a heartbeat on dry pavement! Also Yoko AVSi's aren't bad as a true intermediate tire - not nearly as good in the wet as the Hoosiers, nor in the dry as the Kumho's - but better in standing water than the Kumho's, and you won't burn them up in the dry like you will the Hoosiers. (I have one mounted set of each of the 3.)

[This message has been edited by ITA-MR2 (edited January 01, 2001).]
    mrbill

--
    02 Jan 2001 08:24 AM
    I would recommend the Toyos! almost as fast as Hoosiers, last a lot longer, a little cheaper & more forgiving.

also, you may want to get some USED tires! go to a national race, and pickup some discards in your size. I do..

I'll bet you flatspot your tires before you wear them out, first few track events...
    rog foo

--
    03 Jan 2001 10:38 PM
    AIM Tire's number is 1-707-938-9193
    This is a man you "have to know" if your in the SFR area. He has always been there supporting the regions members.

Rog

------------------
    [url="http://homepage.mac.com/rogerfoo"]http://homepage.mac.com/rogerfoo[/URL]
    CMerritt

--
    04 Jan 2001 08:59 AM
    I just ordered a set of Toyos from AIM, thanks for the help all!

Now, next item, and since I have all your attention let me see if I can get it answered here instead of making a whole new thread: Tow hitches. Being a poor racing-addict, with no money nor storage space for tow-vehicle and trailor, I'm going to be dring my ITS 240Z on the street and towing a small tire trailor. Any advice on where to get trick light hitches? Or shall I just head over to U-Haul and see what they have?

Thanks again for all the help!

-Carl
    mister2dood

--
    25 Jan 2001 07:17 AM
    I'm a rookie racer as well, and I'm not sure what kind of tires to get. Noone has mentioned BFGoodrich G-Force tires. Are they any good?
    BMWRacerITS

--
    25 Jan 2001 07:53 AM
    The G-Force's can be driven fast, but only if you are skilled enough to keep the car within a very small range of slip angle.

I have a friend who tests tires for Michelin/BFG, and he admits that Hoosiers and Goodyears are easier tires to drive faster, but the BFG's can be driven as fast with the right know how.

Since they were so hard to drive though, BFG has stopped production. Except for remaining inventories, they are NLA. There is a rumor that Michelin has a street tire in Europe with as much grip as the G-Force R Compound...according to my source, those tires could see our shore in the next few years.

Even if the BFG's were still available, they are not a tire for rookies. I used them on my car when I drove in BMW CCA Club Racing, but I won't be using them when I start out in ITS (even though I can get some of the remaining tires for really cheap), as I'll be getting accustomed to having no ABS. The BFG's will flatspot just looking at them. SCCAForums Image

For a rookie tire, its hard to beat the Toyo's and Yokohamas. The Kumho's are a good next step up and they are what I'll start my ITS season on. Once you get proficient in the car and are looking for the last couple tenths, its time to invest in Hoosiers of Goodyears in my humble opinion.

Good luck.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner