New IT cars
 15 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
asedanracer

--
30 Dec 2000 12:03 PM
    Does anyone have an idea of what the next "hot" ITS and ITA cars will be? The current crop of dominant cars (RX7/CRX) are nearly 10 years old. With the exception of the E36 BMWs and a few Integra GSRs, what do you see coming out of T1/T2 to be reclassified in IT?

Tell you where I'm going with this. My AS car is for sale, and the plan is to spend 2001 building a car for IT. (S or A, haven't decided). What I don't want to do is build a new car only to have a more current model added to the class that becomes the next "car to have". I was speculating about whether such cars as the 93-96 Supra, or 90-95 300ZX, or some other RWD cars may be added. Kick it around and let me know what you think.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    RaceCar Engineering
    A/S Mustang #35
    Central Florida Reg.

http://home.mindspring.com/~twire
    Ken Grammer

--
    30 Dec 2000 01:01 PM
    Chris:

I don't expect to see much from T1 added to IT and only a few from T2...the prelude, and BMW and maybe 300zx.

If I was building an IT car right now, I would have to look hard at the Acura Integra GS-R or Honda Prelude. With all of the development work going into Honda products with their involvement in World Challenge and Motorla Cup, they are sure bets for the next wave of hot ITS cars. The problem with the 300zx is it is simply too heavy and starts with a big weight penalty.

I also happen to think the Dodge Neon is a sleeper. They are dirt cheap and once a few more competitive peices are avaiable, I think they will make an excellent IT car. I ran a Neon ACR in a cpuple of Motorola/Speedvision Cup races in '98 and the car handled sweatly and was faster then the the Miatas and other compact class cars we ran against. Watch for it to do well as more folks start converting SS cars to IT.

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    Flagger X

--
    30 Dec 2000 05:04 PM
    I think the prelude and Integra potentially good for IT, and I have seen a very fast Neon race in ITS, however it was brilliantly driven and didn't finish either time. I think the car would dominate ITA, but am less sanguine about a truly legal car in ITS. In my view, the SCCA ought to drop the SOHC cars in ITA and put the DOHC models in ITS.

In my view the Miata is underrated in ITA. It may not be quite as straightaway quick as the Civic Si, but I think it can be competitive, with greatly superior handling and braking. I wish I could afford to build one.
    Ken Grammer

--
    30 Dec 2000 08:49 PM
    Good point about the Neon DOHC .vs. SOHC. I agree. And in Motorola Cup the Miata's were the car to have for a while. I raced a Civic Si at Road Atlanta in '99 and the Miatas (which had been given a cam) were unbeatable. After the "cam fued" I think Mazda backed away from Motorola Cup and left it to the Hondas. And Chrysler simply has never really helped the Neon get as compatitive as it could be...either professionally or at the club level. Our biggest problem with the Neon is that it would throw the power steering belt after about six laps... SCCAForums Image

My IT money would still be spent on a Honda product. There are simply more people racing them and way more go-fast parts available for them.

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    asedanracer

--
    31 Dec 2000 09:38 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken Grammer:
    [b]Chris:

If I was building an IT car right now, I would have to look hard at the Acura Integra GS-R or Honda Prelude. [/b]

Aren't there any good RWD cars coming along? As you can probably appreciate Ken, I am a loyal rear wheel drive guy (I have owned my current AS car since it was brand new - 32 miles on the odometer). I have raced a Honda before and had a blast, but to actually build/own one, I prefer to stay with RWD. Short of a $40K race car (SpeedSource or any BMW) are there any other possibilities? Maybe a car that isn't currently classified anywhere yet?

------------------
    Chris Wire
    RaceCar Engineering
    A/S Mustang #35
    Central Florida Reg.

http://home.mindspring.com/~twire
    ChrisM

--
    01 Jan 2001 06:38 AM
    Chris, The E 36s are gonna be the hot set up in rear wheel for a couple years (in my humble opinion) . Even with the 100 # weight adjustment they are fastttttt. ChrisM/ITSPROBE P.S. the red 325 that finished 2nd at the arrc was an auction car they bought(i think) for like $5k.
    BMWRacerITS

--
    01 Jan 2001 01:47 PM
    Another point of reference: Bought my E36 with 100,xxx on the odometer for less than $7000. Perfectly straight frame and nearly new transmission. At this point, I haven't spent nearly $40,000, but it's also not developed far enough to run at the front. My guess is that you can build a mid-front pack car for $25,000-$28,000. You'll probably look at closer to $40,000 to run with Speedsource, but hell, they cost just as much.

I'm a BMW nut at heart, and I don't like the bumble bee sound of those RX-7's, so the choice for me was easy.
    DaveB

--
    01 Jan 2001 03:08 PM
    I guess your desire to run up front is only matched by the number of dollars you wish to spend. A few years ago everyone in CenDiv was all agog over Steve Kramer's 240Z and talking about how he may have $20 grand in it. Then Nick came along with his high buck car on the big President's tour and set a new track record at Mid-O.

Now the hot car is the 240Z from Nashville. Interesting, isn't it? I would decide what level you want to compete at, figure a budget, then buy the most car you can afford. Then go have a ball. Being poverty stricken, I have to be satisfied to run mid-pack, but winning isn't the only reason I race. I enjoy going as fast as possible and racing with someone along the way. No one has more fun than I do at the races.

Dave
    7racing

--
    05 Jan 2001 12:25 PM
    For rear wheel drive, I think that the Miata could/will be a great IT car. There are a lot more people developing parts. The Nissan is another good pick. Either can probably keep up with a good Honda product.

Chrysler seems to want to keep the Neon as a Showroom Stock car, and not develop it for IT or Pro Racing. Too bad, it could be a good domestic car to race against all the imports.

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    Doug Stewart

--
    05 Jan 2001 01:46 PM
    I like the 240 sx in ITA Bob Strech proved it can run up front this year.We built one this summer and the first time out at VIR I got down in the 19s. But we did have some motor problems at the ARRC that put me out of the race on the 2nd lap while I was running around 6th or 7th and staying with all those Hondas. The car is a blast to drive with p/s big brakes and it handles great lots easier to drive then my 240 z. We have sorted out the motor problems and will be good for next year. By the way the car is for sale, figured out I can't afford to run two race cars.

------------------
    Doug
    ChrisM

--
    07 Jan 2001 09:50 AM
    Doug, thats a good looking car you guys built.How much are you asking and what kinda times were you doin at the ARRC ?
    Doug Stewart

--
    09 Jan 2001 07:10 AM
    Hey Chis thanks for the coment, ran in the 46's at Atlanta which was slow but comming out of a 240 z and geting in this car is a big diffrence you realy have to carry the speed in the corners.As for the price I'am asking $10'500 you can't hardley build the car for that.

------------------
    Doug
    DaveB

--
    11 Jan 2001 04:12 PM
    Doug,

Does that mean you are going to continue to bring the 240Z up to Mid-O and "show us the way?" That car is too fast, but then again, Andy and John need someone to give them fits.

We all look forward to trying to keep up wit you next season.

Dave
    Rob Lay

--
    16 Jan 2001 09:55 AM
    I have a 1993 E36 BMW 325is. It's my daily driver now, but goals are club racing within 2 years. A few questions...

1) Are you serious about it costing 20-40k to make competitive? I think I was planning on 10k to make legal and with decent mods.

2) After I spend this money in a few years, will I be able to race it for 3-5 years? It has 120k miles on it, but is in great condition.
    [url="http://www.matrixcycleclub.org/florence2000/bmw/bmw325is.gif"]http://www.matrixcycleclub.org/florence2000/bmw/bmw325is.gif[/URL]
    BMWRacerITS

--
    16 Jan 2001 10:39 AM
    Factoring in the cost of the car, it would cost you close to 40k to compete with the absolute frontrunners...I'm talking 5-7k dollar shocks, not the cheap Gruppe N Bilsteins that I'm running. And then there's the cost of solid bushings and heim joints for the entire suspension, etc, etc, etc.

BUT, you can spend about 10k in upgrades and have a fun, very safe, car that will run mid to front of the pack with a good driver. Those extra few seconds to run up front start costing thousands of dollars per second.

As far as your engine goes, you will probably need to do some work to it eventually. You can do what I did. I ran my engine stock until it "blew". At about 100,5xx miles the head gasket blew. So now the engine is with my engine builder being built up to allowed specs.

Once you spend the money, the car should be good to go for 3-5 years except for replacing bushings, pads, tires, and other wear items. Also, I would count on having to rebuild the engine or buy another used engine with less miles once your engine goes, and I assure you it eventually will with that many miles on it.

I'm just making the switch into SCCA from BMW Club Racing this year, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

Considering the surprisingly high costs of racing ITS in a BMW, I will probably look to move to a national class in another car next year. I don't plan on sticking around racing in a regional class against $40,000 RX-7's long. :-)
    TypeSH

--
    18 Jan 2001 12:46 PM
    It was mentioned that the Prelude would be a possible front-runner. I am guessing you mean the current generation of Prelude ('97+), which of course is not eligible for IT yet. Do you really think SCCA is going to allow the 97+ Preludes in ITS when they do not have the 93-96 Prelude VTEC's classified? Basically the same suspension and the same weight so why would they classify the newer ones and not the older ones? I for one would love to see the Prelude classified in ITS but I don't know if it will happen. I am probably going to run my Prelude in ITE this year and then cross my fingers for an ITS classification.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner