8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mhanc

--
22 Jan 2001 09:24 AM
    Hey all,

Will the tranny out of a 86 2nd gen fit in a 85 1st gen gsl-se? Is there an advantage to using that tranny if it will fit?

------------------
    "hamster"
    109 CSP
    1985 Rx-7 GSL-SE
    racer-john

--
    22 Jan 2001 01:11 PM
    The latter non turbo trans will fit but you might have to swap the shifter housing. I'm not sure what if any differances in ratios there are. Best would be a trans from an old 626 RWD. these are tough to come by. Another choice is the Miata trans. With this you would have to swap the front and rear housings and modify the input shaft. Good luck. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    John W.
    EP 2nd. gen Rx-7
    mazmarc

--
    23 Jan 2001 08:15 AM
    [QUOTE] Best would be a trans from an old 626 RWD. these are tough to come by. Another choice is the Miata trans. With this you would have to swap the front and rear housings and modify the input shaft. Good luck. SCCAForums Image
    [/B]

None of which are legal for IT. Im not sure about CSP legal. Be careful out there.:-)

------------------
    Marc Dana
    #63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
    #77 E36 325I G-Stock
    F&C on the corners
    7racing

--
    24 Jan 2001 07:20 AM
    John is right. For the 2nd Gen transmission to fit, I think you need to change the tail shaft, and that is about it. There is a difference in 5th gear (I think it is a taller 5th gear).

Again, it's not legal for IT.

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    Steve Taylor

--
    25 Jan 2001 10:08 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 7racing:
    [b]John is right. For the 2nd Gen transmission to fit, I think you need to change the tail shaft, and that is about it. There is a difference in 5th gear (I think it is a taller 5th gear).

Again, it's not legal for IT.

[/b]

Nor for CSP, either, which says nothing about allowing alternate transmissions. Since the first and second gen RX-7's are listed on separate lines under CSP, the swap is not considered a legal update either. (Nevermind that the ratios used in Solo II may be the same.)

You don't want a junkyard NA FC tranny anyway. They'll wear out sooner or later, wasting your time. Been there, done that, and planning for a real rebuild later this spring.

------------------
    SCCAForums Image
    video image by Jeff Cashmore
    FASTNBLU

--
    30 Jan 2001 08:00 PM
    are there no pro-7 cars in ne/mid or se?

------------------
    DARYL
    BRIGHTWELL
    PRO-7 #90
    CSCC SCCA
    7racing

--
    31 Jan 2001 10:35 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by FASTNBLU:
    [b]are there no pro-7 cars in ne/mid or se?

[/b]

Depends on what you mean by "pro-7". If you are talking about the NASA class, then no there aren't (at least not in New England). The closest NASA chapter is in Virginia, and hasn't grown much past that, I believe.

Not sure what other "pro-7" there could be. All the RX7s I know of are in IT.

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    FASTNBLU

--
    01 Feb 2001 08:34 AM
    YES IM TALKING ABOUT NASA TYPE PRO-7 1ST GEN RX-7, ONLY THEYVE BEEN ADOPTED BY SCCA, 40 CARS IN CAL CLUB DIV OF SOPAC ALONE, AND GROWING EXTREMLY FAST, TWENTY NEW CARS THIS YEAR. AZ DIV STARTED WITH 6 CARS LAST YEAR, ENDED WITH 14 I BELEIVE, FAST, CHEAP, AND FUN. THEY HAVE BEEN CALLED ROTORY NASCAR FOR MORE THAN ONE REASON, BUT WOULD SAY THE CLASS IS MORE LIKE AMETUER I.R.O.C

------------------
    DARYL
    BRIGHTWELL
    PRO-7 #90
    CSCC SCCA

[This message has been edited by FASTNBLU (edited February 01, 2001).]
    7racing

--
    02 Feb 2001 09:43 AM
    That is awesome, Daryl. Out here in New England, we only have Spec Miata. 1 person tried to get Spec RX7, but it was to restrictive for the cars that were already built, so no one was interested. There was a lot of talk about making an IT-7 class, like they have in the Southeast, but nothing ever materialized.

It seems that we are running out of donor cars for any type of spec-RX7 class here as well. The junkyards are crushing them, to make room. Sad, isn't it?

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner