19 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mark

--
29 Dec 2000 11:06 AM
    Hello,

I am somewhat new to autocrossing. I've only attended 1 event. I was told I would be racing in D-MOD but now I hear we have another class?

My car:
    90 honda crx si
    b16a1 japanese spec engine
    y1 tranny with stock lsd
    exedy clutch
    springs and shocks (koni yellows going on soon)
    intake
    exhaust
    I have a nitrous kit not hooked up but I heard something that you are allowed 1 power adder? Or is this another class?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion

Mark
    LarryTT

--
    29 Dec 2000 11:09 AM
    Sorry to inform you, but the CRX is not eligible for SM. If SM2 comes to be it will be eligible for that class.

SM is not for 2 seaters, sorry SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Larry Joffe
    SM #27/127
    2000 Audi TT Quattro
    905.0gt

--
    29 Dec 2000 05:08 PM
    What cars are legal for SM? Would a mustang Gt w/subframe connectors(not allowed in esp) put me in SM? Just curious b/c I'm not sure where I'll run next year. Thanks.
    ponykix

--
    30 Dec 2000 07:13 AM
    905.0gt, subrames will put you in SM. I ran ESP last year, added subframes this year and now will be in SM. Good Luck.
    905.0gt

--
    30 Dec 2000 09:45 AM
    Thanks Ponykix, but what else am I allowed to do? I have springs/shocks, subframes, strut tower brace, and 1.7 roller rockers. What else? Are any suspension parts not allowed? Thanks.
    floridaracer

--
    30 Dec 2000 09:57 AM
    905gt> all suspension parts must retain factory mounting points. If the suspension piece relocates the mounting point to a different mounting point it is NOT legal.

engine mods are unlimited as long as you dont supercharge (on your particular car)

i personally love the idea of street mod, they combined Prepared with Street Prepared =)

------------------
    Mike - 80 Z/28
    Solo2 CP? Street Mod? where do i go?
    [url="http://www.floridaracer.com"]www.floridaracer.com[/URL]

[This message has been edited by floridaracer (edited December 30, 2000).]
    ponykix

--
    30 Dec 2000 04:45 PM
    905.0gt, everything you have is legal. No power adder of any kind on your car. Can't go over 6.0 liters. Unlimited mods on engine as long as you are naturally aspirated. Suspension is just as floridaracer mentioned. This basically means no tubular K-member but go ahead with aftermarket control arms, bushings, swaybars and panard bar if you like. BTW are you guys going to be Fort Myers for the Pro Solo in Feb.?
    905.0gt

--
    30 Dec 2000 08:20 PM
    Thanks guys, seems like a fun class. Now I just have to figure out how to afford a really fast SM Mustang. LOL. Thanks again.
    Black96Cobra

--
    30 Dec 2000 10:18 PM
    How about a panhard bar and a torque arm on a car that doesn't come with them from the factory? Is that considered changing the mounting points? I'll be putting these parts on my car soon and was wondering where I would run too.

------------------
    -Craig
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    ponykix

--
    31 Dec 2000 10:39 AM
    Black96cobra, Torque arm and panhard are fine. They are additional axle location units that do not affect the factory location units. You are still maintaining factory locations for control arms.
    Black96Cobra

--
    31 Dec 2000 02:38 PM
    OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

------------------
    -Craig
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Dec 2000 04:45 PM
    With the Mustang, when you put on the TA and Panhard, don't most people remove the upper (non-functional) control arms?

My friends at Maximum Motorsports [url="http://www.maximummotorsports.com"]www.maximummotorsports.com[/URL] have had great results from their rear suspension package, consisting of TA, PB, and new LCAs.

Note: I don't own a Mustang, and get no money from MM, only helping out friends and recommending good products.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    ponykix

--
    01 Jan 2001 07:47 AM
    Yes Dave, a lot of people do remove the UCA with the set-up you mentioned. People also replace the UCA bushings with roll bar padding or some other soft material rendering them usless but still allowing them catch the rear end if any thing was to break. Nice safety device. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the UCA will still have to stay on in SM.
    Toms6893

--
    01 Jan 2001 10:34 AM
    Correct with a TA you must keep the UCAs. just replace the rubber with foam or roll bar padding.

------------------
    93 Mustang GT Convertable
    #68 ESP
    Black96Cobra

--
    01 Jan 2001 11:34 AM
    I didn't realize you have to keep the UCAs on the car to be legal. My plan was to throw them away, maybe I'd better re-think that plan. I definately want to render them non-functional, as they are a poor design. I also was going to chuck the quad-shocks as well.

------------------
    -Craig
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    ponykix

--
    01 Jan 2001 01:21 PM
    Last post got me thinking. Can I remove the quad shocks and still be legal? Definitely don't need them. Don't remember anyone covering this topic.
    LarryTT

--
    01 Jan 2001 08:28 PM
    the K-bar as I have been told by quite a few SM people is NOT allowed in SM. if you have this part or anything like it, then you run in CP!

If your subframe connector is like the K-connector then you cannot use it.

You can read all about it on the eGroups SM list.

------------------
    Larry Joffe
    SM #27/127
    2000 Audi TT Quattro
    Big Money Mike

--
    02 Jan 2001 07:14 AM
    Hey fellas....

Im building a 87 Firebird right now, and am in the process of swaping out the stock 2.8L V6 for a 87 Firebird 305. As I recall, this is leagal for street mod because its an optional engine for my car, from the same manufacturer, is this correct?

------------------
    87 Firebird 305 5-speed. Motor swaps are expensive!
    Crack Monkey

--
    02 Jan 2001 10:47 AM
    BMM - you are correct. The rule for engine swaps is engine and body must be from same manufacturer. So GM/Chevy/Pontiac/Olds/etc or Ford/Linc/Merc or Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. I'm not sure where Jaguar (Ford) and Rover (BMW) or Mazda (Ford) figure into this, probably not allowed. The engine need not have been an option on your car to be legal (so you could use a tiny straight 4 if you desired or the biggest small block).
    Toms6893

--
    02 Jan 2001 11:09 AM
    With a TA and panhard bar you car ditch the quad shocks and remain legal in SM. All 4 cyd stangs, besides SVOs, didn't come with them so you are just backdating so its legal.

------------------
    93 Mustang GT Convertable
    #68 ESP
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner