Street Mod question
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Big Money Mike

--
04 Jan 2001 05:24 AM
    Im putting together a 87 Firebird 5-speed right now, and am swapping out the stock 2.8 V6 for a 305. The 305 will probably get a new cam and headers done to it, other than that, it will take time and cash before I can do anymore motor work. If I have a well set up suspension, and a good driver(me) SCCAForums Image, is the lower motor power gonna matter as far as being competitive goes? I know in some of the less prepared classes, a good suspension and good driver work better than a powerful motor. Does that apply in SM, or am I going to take a lot of losses?

------------------
    87 Firebird 305 5-speed. Motor swaps are expensive!
    ColinL

--
    04 Jan 2001 06:41 AM
    Why not get a 350? Granted the 305 might have been practically free, but a decent 350 has a lot more potential and they are plentiful.

Well anyway... yes, suspension will be very important. Go into the ESP forum and find out what they suggest for a 3rd gen F body, and do what you can afford.

About the power, assuming the 305 is a done deal, what sort of 305 is this? If it's a TPI (what... LG3?) then that *might* be okay if it runs well. Torque is handy for autocross. If it's a carbureted or cross-fire injected, I think you're making a mistake unless it's far removed from stock.

------------------
    -Colin
    99 Impreza 2.5RS SM#22
    Big Money Mike

--
    04 Jan 2001 07:39 AM
    The 350 has to much torque for the T5 tranny to handle. My 305 is an LG4...170hp/250ft. lb. stock. After a cam swap, some headers, and some match porting I hope to see around 195hp/300ft. lb. And yes, I got the complete motor down to the wiring harness and computer for $100. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    ColinL

--
    04 Jan 2001 07:53 AM
    That's right, LG4. I had one, in case you couldn't tell. SCCAForums Image

300lb-ft will put you into the neighborhood that a stock L98 makes, so I hope for your sake you're wrong about the T5. Yes they are touchy, certain years in particular, but they are easy to find and can be rebuilt with stouter gears.

Either way you'll be making enough torque that a limited slip diff will be really handy. Got something lined up there, like a $50 auburn? SCCAForums Image
    Black96Cobra

--
    04 Jan 2001 09:10 AM
    I think it you're careful the T5 will work with a 350. I too had a wonderful LG4 experience with my '82 Z28 SCCAForums Image

Is this your daily driver, or is it an autocross-only car? The reason I ask is the the '82 Z28 had a T10, which is much beefier than the T5. Of course, it's only a 4 speed so if you are driving this car every day you might want the overdrive.

------------------
    -Craig
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    Big Money Mike

--
    04 Jan 2001 09:22 AM
    Hey fellas....

New rear will come shortly. The motor must be cleaned, cammed SCCAForums Image, and installed, then I have to put on the WS6 springs, swaybars, and shocks. Then (whew!) I am getting GTA wheels and some rubber. When all that is said and done, I will upgrade the rearend, and put the one thing Im most looking forward to in, a Hurst short throw shifter!

Oh well, it should be ready by mid-season. I hate that whole money factor.

Oh yeah, its not my daily driver, its autocross and sunny Saturday back road cruiser only!

------------------
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner