You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
DG
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2004 12:56 PM
[QUOTE]When you say you're giving me a bunch of freedom, then allow me to actually use it like I want to
Go right ahead. The rule states "Hoods (engine covers), front fenders, front & rear facias, and side skirts may be modified or replaced" and gives NO limits on what those modifications or replacements might be. That's on purpose. We MEAN that.

If you feel that means that hoods, front fenders, fascias, and side skirts are OPTIONAL, I would tend to agree with you. Air Is A Material.

However, we also have language guarding against "tortured interpretations", and this is a competitor-policed sport. The more you push an allowence, the more likely you are to run afoul of this.

We're not interested in tightening up the language on this rule, because any "tightening" winds up restricting perfectly legitimate options in ways we do not intend. We do NOT want limits on the amount of venting. We do NOT want limits on the amount of deviation from the OEM profile. We do NOT want limits on how much the replacement weighs, or what material it is made out of. You are intended to have maximal freedom in this area.

So it becomes your job as a competitor to balance "pushing the rules as much as they can stand" against the likelihood that your competitors will consider your implementation a "tortured interpretation".

People are not stupid. They can tell when you're making legit use of an allowence, and they can tell when you're trying to pull a fast one. Certainly gluing a 1/24th scale model car fascia on the front of a full-size car is "pulling a fast one" for any reasonable definition. So too is a notional border. But using thin, lightweight materials and lots of venting is perfectly reasonable and is EXACTLY the sort of thing we expect people to do.

DG
megatron
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2004 02:07 PM
guys, hopefully you guys don't think the "street" in street modified is in the ghetto. let's not turn this into "crenshaw boulevard modified" by making our cars look like garbage. if you guys want to torture the interpretation of the standing rules by pulling your fenders and hood off, i'd be inclined to protest you just cuz it's plain ugly and embarrassing.

as is stands the best sm cars in the country can probably all roll into a hot import nights and get "mad props". let's try to keep it that way. whether the competitors can do this within the rules as they are written or if the rules have to be written to keep it that way i guess is a test of how much the competitors care about this aspect of it.

if street modified is to become the true "showcase class" for scca solo, then let's hope the cars stay "showcase" quality.

ryan
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2004 06:18 PM
just so everybody is clear, while DG certainly has every right to express his opinion, it is only that; his personal, unofficial opinion.

Both the SMAC and the SEB are comprised of multiple voting members who may or may not share DG's personal opinion regarding the SM category rules.

Please refer to Sect. 16.3 of the 2004 SCCA National Solo Rulebook:

------------------
16.3 OTHER

A. Due to the inherently creative nature of this category of classes and the resulting member questions about the intent and interpretation of the rules, the SEB will isue clarifying Tech Bulletins in SportsCar magazine on an as-needed basis. Car constructors are cautioned against overly creative or tortured interpretations of these rules. When in question, [b]contact the SCCA National Office for a clarification.[/b]
--------------------

in other words if you are seeking an official answer to this question please submit a letter to: [EMAIL]SEB@scca.com[/EMAIL]

:beerChug:
jtmcinder

--
01 Apr 2004 05:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TeamZ4:
in other words if you are seeking an official answer to this question please submit a letter to: [EMAIL]SEB@scca.com[/EMAIL]
You've got mail!

- Jtoby
jtmcinder

--
01 Apr 2004 05:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DG:
Air Is A Material.
Is it just me and my knee-jerk reaction to Dennis, or does anyone else find this idea to be the poster-child for tortured interpretations?

- Jtoby <- who just realized that his car is shaped like a giant, hollow sphere, given all that "material" that is attached to the sides and top and front and rear

ps. if the wind blows down a cone, which car should get the penalty?
marka
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Apr 2004 10:10 AM
Howdy,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jtmcinder:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DG:
Air Is A Material.
Is it just me and my knee-jerk reaction to Dennis, or does anyone else find this idea to be the poster-child for tortured interpretations?
Its not just you.

If you want to have unrestricted vents (and it certainly sounds like you do), then just say that. Don't go off the deep end defining air as an allowed material for car construction... That's flatly stupid.

I'm having a hard time reconciling the apparent desire to have unlimited venting and the desire to not allow hood removal (or, removal of all but a 1" circle of material under a bolt head on one of the hinges). Seems to me that no hood at all is really just a big-ass vent.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it to. If you want to have subjective rules, get into drifting.

Mark
WYSIWYG
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Apr 2004 02:12 PM
LOL Air is not a material
*poof*, *gone* with the wind, punches in the air

ma·te·ri·al...The substance or substances out of which a thing is or can be made.

if you have that one inch frame/surrounds of the hood and nicely wrap it with ductape to cover the engine, i'd let it go as a competitor. if you need it heat resistant, you might want to consider a thin FG cloth instead [ :p ]
DJWorm

--
05 Apr 2004 05:47 PM
Mark,

Something like this:

My NEW SM2 C6 Z06 with unrestricted vents:

[url="http://www.racerstation.com"]www.racerstation.com[/URL]
s1mpsons
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Jun 2014 11:49 AM
Is there an official definition of "front facia"?
ehyman

--
01 Jun 2014 07:07 PM

Basically your front bumper cover, No there isn't an official definition, but that is both the intent and way it is interpreted.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner