Ramblings about member ratings
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PedalFaster

--
01 Jan 2004 10:25 AM
    Not really a big deal, but I've been noticing quite a few people floating around with five star or one star member ratings who've only had one person vote on them. This doesn't seem too fair to them, or to people who have ratings that are the aggregates of multiple votes. When the new forum software was launched, peoples' scores weren't shown until they'd accumulated a few votes. Was this changed intentionally?

While I'm on the subject :) -- a while back I saw someone ask if / how you could change the user rating you gave someone. Any thoughts?

Last but not least, do you think it would be worthwhile to have a "member rating drive", or something to that effect, to get people actually using them? As it is, they're not really reliable indicators of a poster's quality since the number of votes per person is so small.

Ok, that's all I have to say for now. :)

Steve
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Jan 2004 09:03 PM
    Steve,
    As you pointed out, the ratings don't really mean much right now, not unless people start using them. We are working on a few things for the site, I'll add having a ratings drive to the list of things to get going in January.

As for changing ratings you've already given, unless that's an option that is in UBB 6.7.0 which should be released in the next few weeks I doubt it will be added to the system, I've got a lot of changes to the site to work on, something like that probably won't make it to the top of the todo list, not at this point anyways.

Thanks for the input!

People should also be able to disable their rating in their profiles, so that it doesn't show up if they don't want it to.

-chris
    PedalFaster

--
    02 Jan 2004 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the response. Keep up the good work! :)

Steve
    racinglawyer

--
    19 Jan 2004 03:42 PM
    The rating system you now have is a popularity contest. If you like the person irrespective what he or she says you give a high mark. On the other hand if you don't like what a person says you don't rate them well.

Maybe you should do away with the member rating altogether?
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Jan 2004 03:44 PM
    The new version of the forums I am working on (for release later this spring) will have Post ratings, not Member ratings.
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Jan 2004 08:26 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by christoc:
    The new version of the forums I am working on (for release later this spring) will have Post ratings, not Member ratings.
    Zeroforum (the software designed for and used by Honda-Tech.com) used to use post ratings, and those have gone away. What they do have that is interesting is a member rating that is controlled by the moderators. When someone "steps out of line" they lose points. Everyone starts at 100%. If you are belligerent and constantly violating the rules, moderators of various forums can dock you a certain number of percentage points. Below 96%, you lose avatar privileges. I think if you go below 90%, you are restricted to a particular number of posts per day (maybe 5?), and so on. Obviously, after being punished, a member can "earn" their way back up to avatar permission levels, but it gives people a way to see who is a "bad seed" versus who is well-liked by the online community.

Karen
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jan 2004 04:42 PM
    member rating always has been and always will be a popularity contest, I suppose it could be beneficial to somebody who's ego hinges on how they are perceived :rolleyes: :p the reality is some people are so petty they will give another member a bad rating just because they took something the wrong way, don't like your religion/politics/etc., blah blah blah.

note that you can hide/turn off your rating in the CP options
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner