Serving stale pages?
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PedalFaster

--
18 Mar 2004 09:52 PM
    I quite frequently find that, when I navigate to one of the forums on this site, the topics list shows only posts which are several hours or even days old; it doesn't reflect any more recent posts through either the unread messages indicator or the last post date and time.

At first I thought this was a proxy issue, but I've run into it both at work and at home, so I suspect the problem's not on my end.

Known issue?

Steve
    PedalFaster

--
    18 Mar 2004 09:54 PM
    Forgot to mention that hitting Refresh seems to fix the problem, so it's an easily worked-around annoyance more than anything else...

Steve
    PedalFaster

--
    21 Mar 2004 01:27 AM
    Um, ok then...
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Mar 2004 05:46 PM
    hmmmm not sure steve.

Are you internet settings set to check for a new version of the page every time?
    PedalFaster

--
    21 Mar 2004 09:31 PM
    Just so that we're on the same page -- this isn't profoundly impacting my browsing experience, but I wanted you to know about it. If you're not worried about it, then I'm not either. :)

I forgot to mention something, which is that this doesn't seem to happen only on my first hit on a given forum on a given day. I've had instances where I've gone to Forum A, clicked on a topic in Forum A, then backed up to the Forum A page, only to see a version of that page staler than the one I'd seen a moment earlier. Very strange.

I had my browser set to the default cache setting, where it decides for itself whether to load the page from the cache or not. I'll try setting it to reload the page every time and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks,
    Steve
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 07:50 AM
    It sounds like it's a browser caching problem to me, I don't know why the server would be returning anything but the latest version of the pages.
    Bud Scott
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 12:36 PM
    Hey Chris, hate to back Steve up but I get the same thing sometimes and also on my other favorite site, solo2.org. I figure it's just something on my end but now that someone else has mentioned it.......and you know how computer literate I am! It doesn't happen all the time and its more of an annoyance than a real problem just like his.
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 01:27 PM
    If it's happening on multiple sites that it's definetly not a server thing ;)

Bud, ask your son-in-law to turn your web settings to always get a new version of a page, instead of auto
    Bud Scott
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 04:36 PM
    Son-in law? Quite a stretch just yet!
    Bud Scott
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 04:41 PM
    I think I found it in internet properties oh binary wizard. Turned auto off and set it to refresh each visit.
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Mar 2004 05:49 PM
    not from what I hear bud...
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner