looking for f 500 info
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sccaITSsentra

--
09 Jun 2005 09:25 PM
    hey im looking for some info on f 500 i might try that class, i love open wheel, but cant afford the bigger ones, this seams like it might be in my budget. Can you guys give me the info on cost of things like tires, consumables, parts , what to look for in buying one, what breaks, whats is good. Ive got alot of snowmobile experience, so the motors are great to me, what is the weight, tire life, engine life brake life etc whats it cost you gusy for an average weekend ?
    GreenCrossle

--
    11 Jun 2005 07:35 PM
    OK, here's a stab at it: Tires - $600/set mounted. Anywhere from 1 weekend to 4-6 races - they slow down, but they'll last if you're willing to keep running them. This item will have a big impact on your budget. Consumables - Fuel (have to run leaded race fuel - grrrr!) ~$6/gal - I end up using 12-15 gallons for a national weekend w/ test day. Oil - I run RedLine 2-stroke - I use about 1 1/2 gal for the season (More or less - I don't really track it). The next-highest consumable would be the beer I drink while wrenching on it..... Theoretically, the belts are consumables, but I get pretty good life out of both - I think in terms of one of each belt for the season. Brake pads - how hard are you on brakes? I use a set of pads in 3-4 weekends - $40/axle. Parts - I seem to go through rod ends - I have to replace 1 or 2 per weekend. The good part is that most of the F500 designs rely heavily on 3/8" rod ends, which aren't as expensive as the parger ones used on other cars. But, maybe that's why they fail more.... I also seem to beat up batteries and starter solenoids (still haven't figured out why). You will also need some clutch tuning parts and jets, but these are one-time purchases that might come with a car anyway. Bearings seem to hold up well, due to the low weight - they're inexpensive, standard industrial types anyway. The cars weigh in at 800 lbs w/ driver (850 with the 493). Engines can run pretty long, depending on how careful you are with them. If you jet on the ragged edge, you'll be buying parts. There are guys running engines without touching them for several seasons, and there are guys rebuilding them once or twice each year. For my weekend costs running National events: $250 entry fee + $150-200 test day $300 1/2 set tires (I use them for two weekends, then testing) $100 fuel & oil $150-200 fuel for the tow rig (distant events - less for the close tracks) $150 hotel (for distant events where there are no relatives close by) I end up budgeting $1000 per weekend, including incidentals and 'surprises', and it ends up being pretty close to that by the end of the season. I feel like $1000/weekend is almost a 'no excuses' level to operate these cars at. The only things I could spend money on to go faster are to run new tires every weekend, have a newer, more current chassis, and/or hire professional crew. You can certainly run competitively for less; you will pay more if you want to do an arrive & drive program. Hope this helps....
    sccaITSsentra

--
    13 Jun 2005 09:22 AM
    sounds good thanks for the reply, I already have to run race gas and burn 20-25 gallons But i get it for 3.30 a gallon at a local supplier. tires are half the price of mine now, but that still seems high for as small as those buggers are . tow rig might go down abit because ill be about 2000 lbs lower and i have a camper. but it sounds good, id like to get a chance to drive one once or twice before i buy one so we will see thanks
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner