Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RX7 KLR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Jun 2005 09:51 PM
    Sad to see only 60 pre reg for the Packwood tour to date... The NW tour has always been my favorite of the year. Not going to make it for the first time in 6 years. :( Any idea why the low turn out? I hear the new site is better. However I loved Bremerton. Could the NWR not get Bremerton or was it decided the new site is so much better that the lack of a town did not mater?
    adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2005 10:48 PM

I'm thinking that SCCA's website is just as peppy as usual. It wasnt' too long ago that I saw an event with more than 100 entries about a week before the event. I think it was SCCA finally posting all the mailed in entries. I'd guess this is the same way. I know lots of people that are planning to attend but aren't showing on the entry list. Many of them aren't the kind of people that mail in entries.

Andy H.

RX7 KLR
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jun 2005 12:07 AM
    That could be, but CO which is after WA has a lot of people.
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jun 2005 07:43 PM
    Bremerton was great, but it was basically a runway which limited the course designs that could be designed. Packwood is so much better - fairly rectangular lot, somewhere in the neighborhood of 350+ by 200+ yards with only four drains and no light poles. The pavement is in great condition, although it has been a bit dusty. Karen Babb nationals courses fit on the lot (with some minor changes). Oh, has anyone also mentioned that there is a covered paddock? :D
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Jul 2005 12:29 PM

The packwood site really is the best we have in the area. It's large, in good condition, and offers many course options, including the potential for Pro Solo. When grid/start are off to the side, it provides excellent viewing for spectators. It's about equidistant from Portland or Seattle (2.5 hours).

Around town, there isn't as much to do as in Bremerton\Port Orchard, but you're right between the two best known mountains in the state (Rainier and St. Helens) with plenty of outdoor recreation available. Just about anywhere you go there's fun roads to drive. There should be a reasonable amount of lodging available in Packwood, Randle, or a bit further out, Morton. I've heard most of Packwood is already sold out, so there's some people coming. Dining is small tourist town fare. One reasonably nice restraunt, a pizza place with good pizza that gets overwhelmed with large numbers, and of course several bars. I'm from a small logging town myself, so I rather like the area.

An aerial photo of the site - http://www.wwscc.org/images/packwoodair.jpg. The large building at bottom center is the paddock area.

RX7 KLR
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jul 2005 12:33 PM

So I guess you guys dont know why the event was moved? I have to think the move hurt the numbers. Many times people wont put out the time/money to travel to a new site. If they cant get a hotel room when there are now only 68 people registered even less of a chance to get out of towners.

btw,

Devens 200

CO 155

WA 68

Does not look good.

kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Jul 2005 12:59 PM
    The event was moved because the site is incredible and there are actually more rooms available closer to the site in Packwood than around the Bremerton Raceway. Looking at the entry list, a large number of our local folks that are planning to attend are not registered (including me)
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Jul 2005 08:10 PM
    Actually, between NWR and Oregon Region, we're having several events at Packwood this year, and the local people (from at least five groups) have attended, while Bremerton was "convenient" to only one group (if you call an hour+ drive -- or ferry ride -- "convenient"). We're getting more people from eastern WA, eastern OR, and northern ID to Packwood events -- the site is just that good! A lot of local people seem to not sign up until the last week or so before the event (don't ask me why, but I've seen this for the last three years that I've attended). I have very little doubt that we'll hit the entry cap in the next week or so.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner