DSR or SRF?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
weraracer75

--
05 Jul 2005 02:56 PM

I posted this in the new racer/SCCA forum, but thought it might be more appriopriate here. I know you all probably get worn out over the "which car for a newbie" question, so I apologize in advance:

I've been researching SCCA racing in general and specifically sports racers for a while now. I have come down to a choice between a DSR or SRF. Obviously, SRF's are more affordable, but I could manage a decent car in either class. I prefer the DSR because of its weight, handling and lap times. I am afraid I would outgrow the SRF too quick. I am also familiar with bike engines having roadraced them for the last few years, and I own a bike shop, so another consideration pushing me towards the DSR.

I guess my question is: would you buy a good SRF with spares and set up notes to start with, with the idea that you might move on, or go ahead and get a DSR. I have limited roadracing experience in cars, I have raced 2X with Panoz and once with Skip Barber. I did race dirt cars for years. I can sort out nearly any type problem on my race bike, but car set-ups will be brand new.

Also, it looks like there are very few entries in DSR at regionals, but more at the nationals. SRF looks vice-versa. I'd like to start doing SEDiv regionals to begin with, but don't want to be the only car.

<!-- End: CommunityServer.Discussions.Controls.PostDisplay.TextPost -->
    johnc

--
    06 Jul 2005 12:21 PM

I depends on what you "like" about road racing. If you like car prep, tuning, and tinkering, (as well as driving) then a DSR is a good choice. If you like to focus almost completely on driving then a SRF is a good choice. I would also look at class size for your regional and divisional races. The more people you have to race with, the better you'll get as a driver.

Justin Huffman

--
    18 Jul 2005 01:15 PM
    With the motorcycle shop supporting it, DSR might be the way to go. It'll cost more money, but it might be a fun way to advertise. It's definitely much quicker, but the fields are much smaller than SRF- something to consider if you want to race people in the same class instead of just for overall position. You might be the only DSR at some regionals- that's extremely unlikely in SRF.

Justin
    Pinecone

--
    04 Aug 2005 06:43 PM
    Yeah, I think the smallest field I have seen in SRF is 20. The largest 44.

The smallest DSR field I have seen is 0 (in several events). The largest was maybe 5. Oops, I checked, the largest was a field of 1.

CSR has more people running, but even then, a typical MARRS races has 1 or 2.
    Mark Hatheway

--
    01 Sep 2005 04:04 PM

Yeah, the CSR is becoming very popular in the SeDiv with the Radical Challenge races being run in our regional group..

They are fast and look like fun, sound cool and have 8+ car fields at the reg. races, that the challenge is being run.

SRF cars look very slow? But they have big fields. If you like tinkering and making your own parts (like me) spec. class cars won't work. If you want a cost controlled class (that is good) where it is all driver and some set-up than it is SRF.

The DSR-CSR classes can get very $$$$ at the nat. level, and to win the RO's you will need an FA with bobywork...and $$$... to win.

Hey get a CFC for 10k and come race with us.. slicks and wings baby!! + we have the best partys.Pizza [pi]Beer [Beer]

Pinecone

--
    16 Oct 2005 06:33 AM
    Define slow? DOwn the straights a DSR or CSR is MUCH quciker than an SRF. In th corners, the C/DSr SHOULD be quicker, but most are driven slower than an SRF. :)

Top speeds at VIR are around 120 in an SRF, with average lap speeds over 80. At Summit Point, front striaght 115 or so, average lap speeds a good bit over 80.

And 8 car fields???? Try a start with 44 spec cars. :)
    RadicalSR3

--
    13 Dec 2005 04:44 PM

Hi there,

While the SRF fields are undeniably larger, a DSR is considerably more fun to drive. If you are a new driver and new to the SCCA a SRF is a great way to learn the ropes. The car is inexpensive, there are plenty of spares, plenty of data on car set up and troubleshooting, and there is plenty of camaraderie amongst the competitors. The only downside is the car is relatively slow and technologically not as advanced as a DSR car.

I have had a great deal of experience with the Radical line of cars and I am impressed with the new models being offered by dealers. Though the Radicals are not perfect, they are an incredibly fun car to drive. The sequential gearbox alone is worth a few tenths. If your background is in the motorcycle industry (you own a motorcycle related business) you will actually enjoy working on the Radical SR3. We have a stable of Radicals including a turbo model and a few of the new SR8 eight cylinder models. The cars have come a long way from the original 1000 cc chain drive models (now called the club sport). If you would like some more info feel free to e-mail me and I can send you all kinds of stuff and put you in touch with a dealer that really knows their stuff. Some of the things we are experimenting with are paddle shifters with auto blip capability, aero packages, and data systems.

Good luck in your pursuit,

Ernie

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner