Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ACM
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Aug 2005 12:42 PM

Looking for a tow truck, I found a 2000 F350 Lariat, 7.3 turbo diesel. looks like new, inside and out, but it has 194k on it.

Is that excessively high for a vehicle like this ? Do they have any weak points - transmission, things like that ?

Any advice/opinions welcome !

Charles

ESP #20

sccaITSsentra

--
    06 Aug 2005 10:21 AM
    now there a very strong tow rig
    sccaITSsentra

--
    06 Aug 2005 10:24 AM
    Now there a very strong tow rig, I live up by elkhart where they make alot of RV's and guys tow with those ford SD's all day long in fact the local ford dealer has a 2000 4 door with 330,000 original everything, My 350 was a 99 350 TD I sold it with 197,000 on it and owned it since new, I put a starter and one injector in the truck..... thats it.....
    If the truck your looking at has been taken care of it will run for a long time, not to mention pull a house...
    Bimmerman

--
    06 Aug 2005 09:26 PM
    Have the truck checked out by a knowledgeable diesel mechanic. If it all checks out (engine and transmission, specifically), I woud have no qualms at all with the mileage. I have owned and towed with a 1999 PSD (Power Stroke Diesel) w/248k miles, a 2000 F250 PSD 4x4 w/185k miles, and currently with a 2000 Excursion PSD 4x4 w/182k and counting. Aside from needing water pumps at around 150-165k miles, they have all been bulletproof!
    Jmac36

--
    07 Aug 2005 05:29 PM
    My 2001 f350 SD dullie just made the trip to CA from texas and turned over 260k.I have never had a problem with it, and have never worried about it making it to a race. It will run all day and nite pulling my 48' GN and still gets 7.5-9.5 MPG depending on the road and how fast I wanna get there.

One thing to keep in mind, if it is an automatic, put a good trans temp gauge on it and keep the trans temp BELOW 210 F. The ATF in that transmission will oxidize at 220+ and the heat KILLS the seals. always remember to use Motorcraft parts for replacements. .......JM
    AutoJim

--
    08 Aug 2005 08:29 AM
    Sigh, another forum with trans fluid temperature myths on it.

Here's the deal: Ford spec allows 221F max sustained trans fluid temp. Ford spec allows 248F max "short-term" trans fluid temp. "Short-term" is defined as a 30-45 minute duration stretch such as when towing heavy up a steep grade.

Now, that said, my '99.5 F350, a crew-cab 4x2 short box single rear wheel with the 7.3L and 4R100, is basically bone-stock. I put a water pump on it at 147K. It's due for a rear axle end seal at some point Real Soon Now. Put ball joints on the front at 111K, one side is about due for another replacement (due to the incident described in the next sentence). I blew one of the hydroboost pressure lines during an evasive maneuver that was full braking, full steering, and a curb hop to spike the pressure in the system (the hydrobooster runs off the power steering system) at around 166K. It's now got 170K. Aside from PM stuff (and I count brakes as PM stuff), and the above problems, it's been trouble-free. Marcus and Jen Merideth have tried to buy it back from me once or twice (I bought it from Marcus in June '01 with 59K on the clock). Don't want to sell it. It's too good a truck to get rid of.
    Mhyrr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Aug 2005 11:19 AM

On a related note, any opinions of the V-10 gas version? How are they long term?

AutoJim

--
    09 Aug 2005 07:51 AM
    No personal experience with the V10 in the truck (did drive one in a motorhome on an E450 chassis, though), but a local buddy has one and it does fine towing -- although he has an open trailer and the trailer/car/cargo combo is maybe 5000-5500 lbs in contrast with the 9500 lb trailer/car/cargo combo I run, with a lot less frontal area, too.
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Aug 2005 09:08 AM
    Howdy,

A friend had a F250 superduty with the Triton V10. Did great towing an open trailer. I seem to recall mileage in the 12's when towing? Can't really remember.

On the other hand, I owned a truck with the Dodge v10, and it was a complete POS. Didn't have particularly good power (or perhaps, the tranny (48re) calibration and engine power didn't match worth anything... It'd kick down to 3rd towing if anything that might possibly be called a hill even glanced in your direction). Gas mileage was beyond poor... 10mpg best empty and 6mpg towing (enclosed) in a 3500 dually. Replaced it with a Cummins and I've been _MUCH_ happier.

MHO, stick with a diesel for any type of towing duty, particularly with fuel prices doing what they're doing.

Mark
    johnc

--
    09 Aug 2005 11:05 AM

On a related note, any opinions of the V-10 gas version?

I have a 2000 F350 with a V10 and the Gale Banks Power Pack System on it. When doing racing support it has a big Lance Camper on the back and tows a 26' enclosed race trailer. 18,810lb. GCVW going down the road. So far no problems with 85,000 miles on the truck. It gets 12mpg around town and 16mpg on the highway empty on regular gas. Towing all over the west coast it gets 8.5mpg when fully loaded. For those that know the area, the Grapevine can be pulled at 55mph in my truck fully loaded with the engine at 4,000rpm. I usually back it off to 3,500rpm but the rev limiter is at 5,250 so 4,000 isn't an issue. Brakes lasted 75,000 miles.

Some Triton engine owner (5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10) have experienced problems with spark plugs shooting out of the cylinder head. Lots of debate on the cause but it seems to be related to detonation or ping.

I'm very happy with the truck and will probably keep it for another 5 years. Before purchase I created a big spreadsheet to figure what the ROI would be for me if I went with the Diesel option. Based on fuel prices at the time I figured it would take me 143,000 miles to recoupe the cost of the diesel option. Adding the Banks Power Pack System recomputed the ROI to 107,000 miles at November 1999 fuel prices. At current prices the new ROI is 116,000 miles.

AutoJim

--
    10 Aug 2005 08:27 AM

Mark, the big issue with the '03 Dodge V10 was intake air charge temperature. There just wasn't any way to get it down (trust me, we tried) and thus the poor thing was running in detonation-protect mode almost all the time -- very rich fuel, retarded spark. Which kills power and really does a number on EGTs.

The main culprit? On the prior-to-'03 Ram V10s, the air inlet was on the driver's side and had a fairly short run to the throttle body. On the '03s, the air inlet was on the passenger side. Original plan was to flip the upper intake manifold so that the throttle body was then on the passenger side as well, but the plenum then hit the master cylinder and parts of the cowl. No money to redesign/retool the upper intake manifold -- projected sales on the V10 were only about 12K a year anyway -- so they instead made a big honkin' zip tube that ran all the way across the front of the engine from the air filter housing to the throttle body. Big heat gain in that thing.

And that's the real reason they didn't advertise the V10 in the '03 Ram, never made one available to the press, even at long-lead intros, and let it just go away quietly partway through the model year.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Aug 2005 10:49 AM
    Howdy,

Well hell, if you'd told me that that clearly back when we were talking about my truck in '03, maybe I'd have run that intake tube up over the top of the hood.... :-)

Gotta be more to it than that though... I've had friends that have owned 360's in trucks and those sucked as* for mileage as well.

No real complaints on the whole deal though... We ended up getting a 2500 crew cab short bed w/the Cummins. Much better towing engine (better power, _way_ better mileage), lost a bit of stability compared to the crew cab long bed dually, but 100% better "around town" fitting into parking spots, etc.

If the dually had gotten better mileage (either because Dodge hadn't screwed up the v10 or because we'd gotten the diesel), we'd not have had enough motivation to get the smaller truck, so I'm kinda glad in a way.

Mark
    sccaITSsentra

--
    10 Aug 2005 05:52 PM
    Ive owned and driven many trucks, I had a v10 250 ford and it had a decent amount of power and torque towed alright but was just plain bad on gas, If you tow something light weight its ok, but It has to spin the crap out of it RPM wise to keep speed up a hill. I have driven the 06 v10 and there alittle better with the 5 speed tranny but still not even in the same ball park as a diesel. after you buy one Turbo Diesel truck ( I say turbo because non turbo diesel arent much better if not worse then a gasser ) You will never buy another gass powered truck unless you never plan on towing anything again. I bought my first Dodge diesel at the age of 18, a 1989 cummins 2500 and its was amazing, Ive owned 2 dodges a 3 fords and one chevy diesel since then and will never buy a gasser to tow with again. Who cares what the extra cost is, there isnt anything they could offer in a gas truck to make you want to tow with it. the first time you drive a v-10 and go up a hill and it has to kick down to 4500 rpms to even keep some sorta speed up the hill you will kick yourself for not buying a real truck.. And when the PSD fly's by you not even trying at 75mph you will know the difference.... The gasser arent bad motors if you really want gas buy the chevt 496 it will outperform out pull, out accelerate any other gas motor out there, not to mention its better on fuel then the ford and dodge's.... but this is just my opinion after logging over 300,000 miles in every configuration of these vehicles
    Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Aug 2005 07:11 AM

sccaITSsentra wrote:
    Who cares what the extra cost is, there isnt anything they could offer in a gas truck to make you want to tow with it.

Also, the "ROI mileage" greatly decreases with a used diesel truck, depending on price. Go for it

sccaITSsentra

--
    11 Aug 2005 10:47 AM
    Not to mention selling a used v-10 is pretty hard right now with gas so high, Ive seen a few get given away, But i still wouldnt take it
    turbotoddie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Aug 2005 09:28 AM

Howdy

Before you run out and buy a high mileage powerstroke, I would follow the suggestion to have a powerstroke versed mechanic check it out. Yes, there are many high mileage diesels out there but there also a lot more that crapped out at 150000. My main two concerns are the injector pump (has it been changed, big dollars) and the turbocharger(more big dollars). If these two items have been changed and the truck has only logged many highway miles, I say do it. If the truck has any off the highway experience, I would run from it as no one that uses a truck in that kind of enviroment takes care of the air filter on a diesel properly.

my .02

turbotoddie

Todd Farris

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner