AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 14 Oct 2005 12:28 PM by  Another Drew
Weight distribuiting hitch.....worth $500 for towing 4,000 lbs?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Another Drew

--
09 Sep 2005 02:42 PM

I am n00b when it comes to trailering and when I was looking through the owners manual of my Ram 2500, it says that if I'm towing with more than 350 lbs tongue weight, I'm supposed to use a weight distributing hitch. Is it pretty standard to use a WD hitch when towing a car on an open steel trailer? I only rember seeing a small handful of WD hitches being used at the track. My car weighs 2250 and my trailer weighs 1550 (according to the registration) thus a tongue weight in the range of 475.

Can I get your opinion on the importance of using of a WD hitch?

SpyderVenom

--
    09 Sep 2005 03:17 PM

Hey Andrew, I don't know if you know me but this is Rob Leone from Philly Region. I come down to some DC Solo events every once on a while in my SM2 MR2.

It is important to get a weight distributing hitch and to get the tongue weight right. It will help prevent swaying. The other thing you need is a good brake controller and to have it within easy reach in case the trailer does start to sway. You hit the gas and put the trailerbrakes on and it straightens right up. I know that almost everyone that has trailered a car for any length of time will have a horror story about losing control because of swaying.

When everything is right, I forget that I have a trailer it's so smooth and controlled.

knutz

--
    09 Sep 2005 07:51 PM

If your truck were a 1500, I would suggest the WD hitch. Since it is a 2500, I would say that it's not entirely needed, but wouldn't hurt if you had one. Sway control is covered with a different piece of equipment, often-times atached to the WD hitch.

The tounge weight on your 2500 is well below what the truck is capable of, with just 4000 lbs. of trailer weight. As a matter of fact, your truck will most likely have a better quality ride with the trailer and standard hitch than with no trailer or with the trailer and a WD hitch. An open trailer has a much lower side profile than an enclosed trailer, making it much less suseptable to the forces that cause sway, also.

Now if your 2500 happens to be a standard cab, short bed(not a very common truck), you may want to consider the WD hitch and sway control, due to the extremely short wheelbase. Long beds or extra-cabs are long enough to not worry about it.

I do agree that you should be sure to set up your truck with a brake controler if your trailer has electric brakes, or make sure your trailer has surge brakes.

AutoJim

--
    13 Sep 2005 03:04 PM
    Draw-Tite has a really nifty WD setup that incorporates a sway control into it. I'm seriously considering upgrading mine from the two friction-damper sway controllers I currenty run (26' enclosed trailer pulled by an F350 SRW). Marcus Merideth put the 2nd-gen setup on his rig (28' enclosed trailer pulled by an F350 SRW) last year after I pestered him about needing a sway control of some sort for several years.
    EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Oct 2005 07:10 PM
    With a marginal tow vehicle you'd need the WD hitch, the Ram will be fine without it.

Eric
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Oct 2005 09:43 PM
    I'm planning on towing something similar (2100lbs car on a 1400lbs trailer) with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I'm certainly planning on using a sway control/equalizer. Once into a ditch and upside down is enough for one lifetime.
    RX7 KLR
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Oct 2005 10:56 PM
    I have towed with our current Expedition and in the past with a 1500 Ram pu and never used a WD or sway system. Used three different open trailers and everything from a Miata to a Corvette, 3500-4500lbs total. I would not worry about it unless you go over 5000lbs or if you are using a smaller tow rig.
    jcroy66

--
    12 Oct 2005 06:52 AM
    In my opinion, sure, you could get by without it. But I have found that the extra controllability is WELL WORTH the $500 IMO.
    Another Drew

--
    14 Oct 2005 12:28 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be holding onto my WD hitch. Better safe than sorry.

Rob, I certainly remember your car, though I dont think we've met. I'll sure to come by and say Hi the next time I'm at FedEx.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner