Trailer insurance in CA
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JSirota

--
23 Oct 2005 03:39 PM
    I'd like to look into new insurance for my enclosed trailer. I've found that a number of companies refuse to insure it, either because it's enclosed, or because it's a gooseneck trailer. It seems that your average flatbed tag trailer is easy, but gooseneck enclosed trailers seem to flabbergast everyone we call.
    Who do you all have your California trailers insured with (specifically comprehensive coverage, against theft or break-in, as opposed to collision damage when moving? It seems like collision is usually covered under the policy of the tow vehicle, because presumably a collision happens only when it's being towed.)
    Thanks for any help.

jcroy66

--
    24 Oct 2005 07:00 AM
    I am NOT in California and our trailer is an open trailer, but our company is Grange if that helps.

But I have some advice. Be very very sure that collision is included under the tow vehicle's policy. That's what we were told too. Until our trailer was damaged while it was being driven (front axle was ripped off by a chunk of retread tire in the road). Then the insurance company said "Oh, well, you have comprehensive coverage, but you don't have collision coverage." "But our agent told us specifically it was covered by the towing vehicle's policy." "For LIABILITY, it is, but not for collision."

So be sure to get something in writing from your insurance company that collision is covered by the tow vehicle's policy. We almost ended up totally screwed by it. FWIW, our insurance company did end up covering it after a few weeks of going back and forth. I think they did it as a gesture of goodwill and because we clearly had a good-faith effort to be fully covered, but they did require us to purchase a collision policy at that point.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner