Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 28 Mar 2006 08:46 AM by  fiat124girl
Some Thank You's - Club Racing Double Drivers School & Regional Race March 24,25 & 26, 2006
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
gidtup
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Mar 2006 11:33 AM
    Gary, (Tech Chief)

I just wanted to say thanks for your help in getting me "teched" and through driver's school. You probably didn't realize it at the time, but just stopping by to spend a few minutes in the paddock or in the media room to say hello or ask how its going, reallly helped me get through that mixture of nervousness and excitement.

I hope everything goes well for your transition to the new hospital. (FYI Gary has accepted a new job in Columbia MO running a Hospital there) I imagine it will be a very busy summer for you, but I hope we still get to see you from time to time at the track.

Thanks again and best wishes for you.

Dana Hullinger
    P.S. I owe Mike Wolf a lot of thanks also. If you can forward me an
    e-mail from him with his "other" address, I appreciate it.

Dana,
    Thanks for the kind words. We were glad to have you at the school. I do hope you'll consider continuing with your club racing career.
    Im copying this to Mike and his address should be located in the To: header for future use.
    Gary Payne

gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 11:35 AM
    From Gary Payne (Chief of Tech)
    Im writing to ask you to join me in recognizing Sarah Duffy for her commitment to our club and her amazing flexibility this last weekend.
    First, I was splitting my time between chief of tech and chief open wheel instructor with responsibility for two students and the open wheel instructors.
    Splitting my time is a really misstatement. Sarah stepped up to the plate and ran tech the entire weekend, contacting me by phone if there were questions and/or issues. Sarah even loaned me her car to do the student drive arounds Fri and Sat!
    Saturday, I learned of a serious family situation that prevented me returning to the track on Sunday for the tech chief role. Sarah created an excellent continency plan that was approved by the race chair and to my knowledge, worked like a charm.
    Sarah, my thanks to you for all that you do for club racing and the St Louis region.
    Gary
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 11:35 AM

Perf Rally

Club Race

RallyCross

Solo

Road Rally

PDX

James Stevens has a goal this year, to race his Jeep Cherokee Truck in every race program the St. Louis Region offers AND make sure his efforts make Racers for Kids/Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).

Last month he completed round 1 at the Performance Rally/100 Acre Wood. On March 26 he completed Round 2 at the Regional Club Race. He set up a Charity Game that allowed others to bet for charity how fast he could complete his laps in the truck.

The winner was Racers for Kids/Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) with his time being a 123.75 and the winning guess was done by Barrett Braun who donated his $25 gift certificate for Solo Performance Specialties back to the charity.

James will be working on Rounds 3, 4, 5 & 6 now.

Solo, Road Rally, RallyCross, and Time Trials PDX. Watch him compete on Saturday April 2 at the St. Louis Regions RallyCross Event!

Track his progress via www.stlscca.org

When asked about the truck Jim stated

" The truck is a 1986 Jeep Comanche, 2WD, 2.5 4 cyl., 4 speed. It's bone stock other than a set of Rancho shocks and lowering blocks on the stock rear leaf springs. It dyno'd at 73 RWHP. The truck was incredibly easy to Road Race. Prior to the race, I had significant concerns about the front I-Beam suspension which is permanently fixed at 0 degrees camber and the rear leaf spring suspension. My concerns were quickly laid to rest as the truck turned reasonably well and stopped exceptionably well. While the truck was painfully slow on the straightaway, it certainly held it's own in the twisty bits.

The idea to run the truck in all forms of SCCA events came immediately after we determined it was legal for Road Racing with a few minor safety modifications. Since Solo II, Rally-cross and Road Rally are open to all street legal vehicles (which the Jeep is), it seemed natural to try each discipline in this vehicle. The next stop on the Jeep tour should be this weekends Rally-x in Ewing."
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 11:36 AM

Who do you want to pat on the back?

fiat124girl

--
    27 Mar 2006 11:40 AM
    gidtup wrote:

Who do you want to pat on the back?

I'll take you up on this.

I want to thank Sheila Burkette for doing such a fabulous job with the food. It was wonderful to have real food for dinner on Saturday night. She deserves a round of applause!

gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 11:52 AM
    And Sheila helped out the Solo Novice School (on the drag lot on Sunday) with adding their food needs to her for a GREAT deal (quantity and quality) for them too! Thanks from all the new Solo Drivers that joined us and learned how to drive an autocross.
    johnhuebbe

--
    27 Mar 2006 12:43 PM
    The RallyCross event is NOT on Saturday April 8! It is on Sunday April 2. http://www.stlrallyx.org/schedule.html
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 01:14 PM

Yes it is on April 2 in Ewing IL [:$]

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Mar 2006 01:29 PM

I was going to do this on my writeup about Sunday but won't get to that until late tonight, so I'll do it here now!

Most of all, Thanks to Jennifer and Jude at PFM Racing (www.pfmracing.com) without you guys I wouldn't be able to say I've raced a car on a road course against other people! I had a blast, you guys built a great car and made my weekend very easy. I will forever be indebted to you guys, even after I pay to fix the car [;)]

Matt Miller for being there to wrench on the car all weekend! Kurt at AFI for getting us a muffler quickly on Saturday that got us back within the limits of the sound rules.

I don't know if I should really thank this guy, but Jim Stevens. He's the one who told me I should do the school this year, instead of waiting till next year. He was there to help, instruct, and assist in any way possible, for that I thank him. I had a blast, but really didn't need to start another expensive hobby!

My family for coming out and watching. Dad for helping out with the fuel.

Ed Settle for the great driver's school. Ed Smith for signing off on my race! All of the workers at the track this weekend, especially those in turn one who came over and assisted me with my little incident. Solo Performance for getting me all my safety gear! All of the other students for keeping it clean and fun.

Larry K, Chuck Deprow, and the other gridworkers who were there to help, even when I needed a little push before we found our simple problem with the motor. Everyone else who was part of the driver's school this weekend, I'm addicted and will be back, over and over again.

9D2

--
    27 Mar 2006 08:47 PM

My turn!

I spend a lot of time at race tracks..A LOT of time..I can say without reservation or hesitation that the St. Louis Region Club Racing events are the best in the country. Period. This weekend was even better than ever.

Registration was flawless. Thanks to Carol Cohn and everyone at registration. Every SCCA event should be half as easy to get through registration as it is in our Region.

Tech. Gary, Sarah and Phil did a wonderful job. In addition to their normal duties, they managed to get one of the rookies who arrived very late and without a logbook through tech and on track in 20 minutes. Nice job guys.

Timing and Scoring had a new system up and running for the first time. Thanks to T & S for all their hard work getting everything going. Grid sheets and results were quick and accurate. Also, thanks to hopitality for helping the new guys find their way around. Hospitable is the perfect description.

Thanks to Shelia Burkett for the excellent dinner. For the first time in my memory, the dinner room was packed with happy event participants.

Race Chairs, Stewards, Grid, Corner Workers, Flagging and Specialty workers. Everyone was absolutely awesome. I heard more compliments from participants (myself included) about how friendly and helpful our workers are. Thank you all for letting us play.

Ed Settle. What can I say that wasn't already said over and over from the School participants. Ed's enthusiam and pure love of the sport was infectious. I've known for years that Ed is one of the SCCA's greatest assets. It's nice to see everyone else agrees!

Jan Rick did an outstanding job with the TV coverage. She may not be RE anymore, but she'll always be the Regions #1 cheerleader. Thanks Jan.

At a more personal level, I'd like to thank those who make my racing projects possible. Thanks to: Matt, Erica, Curt, Ed & Sandy, Tess, Dan W., & Belleville Automotive.

Special thanks to Tuxedo Park Racing for maintaining and helping develop my rides.

Jude and Jennifer Rudder at PFM Racing. I can't thank them enough for all they've done for me during the last 6 or 8 months. Their cars (and truck) speak for themselves. Two track records, three wins, a top 5 at 100 Acre Woods and we're only two months into the season! Two of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of being around.

Finally, a huge thanks to Marianne and Jimmy for letting me continue participating in the sport I love so much. Their support makes racing possible.

Congratulations to all the the new driver's who completed the School. In particular, Chris, Jeff and Curt. Hats off to all of you for having the guts to step up and go racing. I promise you won't regret it!

Jim Stevens

RX555
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Mar 2006 02:18 AM

I too would like to thank all the people that helped me get to and complete the drivers school. It was definitely a learning experience and not just in driving. Thanks to all the workers and organizers for putting on such a great event. And special thanks to Steven, Jude, Nadeem, Jeff, Jeff, Gary, Bernie, Jim, Scott and Shawn for helping get there and get through the weekend. I'll be back for the next race.

Curt

fiat124girl

--
    28 Mar 2006 08:46 AM

I have to agree with Jim here, that was the best run Double Driver's School EVAR!!!!!

Everything from registration on was perfect. Way to go St. Louis Region! Keep up the good work.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner