Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 04 Apr 2006 09:38 PM by  Lynn
Walnut Ridge Memoirs ( My 1st National Tour Event)
 15 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bumsarama
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Apr 2006 05:35 PM

Just wanted to quickly write a few things about my recent experience at the Walnut Ridge tour. As far as the results of the actual event are concerned, it was horrible to say the least. I walked away very displeased with myself , but find that my awful performance will help me in the future. We'll get to the driving later. I could write a long memoir about the trip and include many details about my feelings, observations, moments of boredom/glory, etc , but then none of you will read this crap and therefore I will try to cut it very, very short.

First of all, I had a great time! This is mostly due to many of the members of our Saint Louis community. Despite the fact that I was away from Saint Louis, having all of you there made me fell right at home. I had a great time with my roommates James Elterman and Jeff Templeton. I realize that they had a tough time putting up with me, but that is the price they pay for having offered to be roommates. It makes me upset sometimes knowing that all the help, advice, and motivation that Jeff and James have given me, ended up with me choking/screwing up at the event. In time, I will make up for that and hopefully let them realize that their efforts are not in vain.

Next up I wanted to thank Lynn for helping me with the STi, giving me a great co-driver, and for kicking my @$$ in my own vehicle. I still love Lynn, but deep down inside I have thoughts of revenge. I had an absolute great time with Jerry Crump (a.k.a. "The Ladies Man") and the Maupin clan ( big Kudos to Patrick who was my camera man). One thing which I especially loved was seeing Patrick get all fired up about someone else taking MY/LYNN's spot. It was not even his spot to fight over but the boy was ready to kill anything that breathed. Nice guys with a penchant for violence have always been my kind of friends. Aside from that, I have bits and pieces of fond memories, jokes, advice, and good times from the usual suspects ( Chris, Andy, Bryan, Martha, Jan, Mike V., etc.). Additionally, I had a great time meeting people from other regions ( especially the other guys in my car class, STU guys- I LOVE YA! , even Branden ).

As for my driving, I was really pumped up about the event for weeks and somewhat nervous. I had about a million thoughts going through my mind per second. Then I added insult to injury and had a Red Bull about 25 minutes before I pulled up the car to the starting line. I was basically on cocaine when I pulled off the line. It was my time to show these guys what I am about and I was overly aggressive ( as usual) and I totally screwed up, locked up the front wheels, coned, and killed my run. The next two runs I was completely over-cautious and my runs looked like scenes from the movie: "Driving Miss Daisy". I felt much better on the second day and just decided to be myself. The first day jitters were gone and I was ready to roll. My first two runs were not that bad and I was hanging in there with the mid-pack guys in terms of times. Unfortunately, I got a little too greedy ( as usual) on my third run and made some minor, but costly, mistakes. I shaved off some additional time but the rest of the guys, had really great time improvements and kicked me to the curb. I will learn from all of this and try to be a smooth operator for future events. Thanks to everyone who helped in making this a great experience and I look forward to many more of these.

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Apr 2006 06:15 PM
    Red Bull may own four F1 cars and sponsor cars in other forms of motorsport. They also sponsor many different athletic events. But do you think any of the athletes really drinks the stuff?

Glad you had fun, Arshad.
    bumsarama
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Apr 2006 09:19 PM
    Not that it matters, but Michael Schumacher drinks one before every race.
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Apr 2006 10:41 PM
    bumsarama wrote:

Then I added insult to injury and had a Red Bull about 25 minutes before I pulled up the car to the starting line.

My co-driver Dan pounded a can of "Whoop Ass" ( http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...88_7557870 ) shortly before our heat at the first day of Nationals last year and damn near had a nervous breakdown. He came back in from his first run shouting "change the tire pressures,adjust the shocks!" I asked him "which way?." He was like "I don't know, I don't know, the sumbitch just won't handle. do SOMETHING!!!!"

6 years we've co-driven at Nationals, two days each. That was the only day I was faster than him.
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Apr 2006 10:46 PM

Fun event. Bryan drove the MINI Sat fantastic - he had only driven one other one a year ago and this one about 5 minutes Sat. AM

He did great on Sat. After we dial in the alignment we are really going to love it.

I took all weekend and still didn't shake out those cobweb until I saw the cow fly across the highway in the tornado we drove through in Perry County on the way home.

Neat location - I can't wait until the Divisional there!

Congrats to our winners Andy, Chris, James, Jeff, & Martha Lou.

96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 11:33 AM
    gidtup wrote:

Congrats to our winners Andy, Chris, James, Jeff, & Martha Lou.

There's a trophy position name missing from that list, hmmm ......... I remember now Jan Rick, working on her 6th National Championship. [;)] Congrats Jan for 2nd in GSL this weekend.

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 11:53 AM
    If Chris Kline hadn't needed to return home, he would have had a trophy, too.
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 12:15 PM
    Nice meeting you [i]briefly[/i] Arshad. And nice meeting you Janice. You were smokin out there!
    mugwump

--
    04 Apr 2006 12:25 PM

[quote]Red Bull may own four F1 cars and sponsor cars in other forms of motorsport. They also sponsor many different athletic events. But do you think any of the athletes really drinks the stuff?

Pastrana actually drinks the stuff. Then again, he does seem to have a penchant for crashing....

It was a good weekend. I was happy to drive well and have a good feeling with the car on Saturday. Sunday was frustrating where I just couldn't keep myself focused far enough ahead, never really figured out the line in a couple spots, and just had a hard time synching up with the car and the course in general.

It was great to see so many St. Louis people doing well. James as usual. Bryan taking to FWD like a fish to water, Lynn showing what he can do in a decent car and a de facto 1-2-3 in BS with smoking fast runs. Can't forget our honorary member taking 2nd in STX. It was also nice to see so many 1st timers make the trip: Arshad, Mike V., and at least some of the Maupin clan.

Have fun at the Pro, for those who are going [:D]

JamesE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 12:41 PM
    Ahmad, Don't be too hard on yourself. I was a wreck at my first big event too. I know you can drive well and I didn't see you drive the way I know you can all weekend. Was this event also your first experience on concrete? Stick with it. I would never feel that my efforts to help were in vein. It is my pleasure.

You often tell me that you know you are capable of running fast times, it just takes you more runs to find that time. I think that this is exactly the case. Try to focus on the course more; 5 course walks minimum by yourself so you can concentrate, and drive the course over and over in your mind. Convince yourself that your 1st run is actually your 2nd. That's my best advice because that is what works for me.
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 02:18 PM

Me trophy? Naw it was my 1st National Event (My driving proved that [:(] )

Next time Red Bull - 5 minutes before the 1st run

Can you imgine me on Red Bull? [:P]

I will be like a gnat in mason jar with my rear end on fire!

96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 02:47 PM
    http://www.scca.com/Event/Event.asp click on Sunday results and it shows our future 6 time National champion finished in 2nd GSL, a trophy position. And NNOOOOO to the Red Bull Jan. [:D]
    cone hunter

--
    04 Apr 2006 05:57 PM

I may still hold the record for "worst first run at a National Event"... thank goodness Rich jumped in front of my car and red flagged me just before I drove out on an active runway (after driving across both courses of a ProSolo layout) in Topeka. [:$]

I remember the announcer suggesting that "more course walking may be called for".

drgnrcr101

--
    04 Apr 2006 07:38 PM
    96SM2 wrote:
    And NNOOOOO to the Red Bull Jan. [:D]

I don't know Andy Jan on Red bull might be interesting

:gives Jan a Red Bull and runs in fear:
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 08:25 PM
    I used to have a redbull before out of town events.
    Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2006 09:38 PM
    I want to thank Arshad for the ride. Even though his STi is not yet prepared to the same level as Branden and Jeff's, it was great to be a car that a least has a chance. I surprised myself by being ahead of Jeff after Saturday's runs. I screwed up the first run big time on Sunday, but it still took a great third run by Jeff Vogel to slip by me for fourth. I'm was still very pleased to be only a tenth behind last year's third place finisher at Nats. I am also very happy to be less than six seconds behind Branden Burkhardt instead on my usual 12 to 14 seconds.

With a better prepared car, more high level competition, and NO Red Bull, Arshad will be right there with Jeff and Andrew Watts. I don't know about Branden. He seems to be on a different level than everyone else.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner