Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MX5-RACER
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Apr 2006 09:07 AM

I am a member of the Florida Region and we have a bit of a problem... not that I want to start trouble.

The short of it is that FL region had/has no Solo program, and a local club ER was on its death bed neither were doing well. ER and FL region started a contract for the creation of a Solo program.

This contract is such that the events are put on and run under SCCA rules/insurance but is organized/funded by ER. ER pays site costs, insurance cost, port-o-potty, $2.50/car to SCCA national (now $3.50) and $1.00/car to FL region. FL region pays $1000 for year end trophy cost and that is it.

FL region gets a Solo program, ER can afford insurance (Read: hold events), and everybody is happy right?...WRONG

FL region wants ER to pay an additional $.50/car to hold events. So a little math here: that equals $1.50/car to FL region. The board of directors for ER does not want to pay FL region to hold events for them and are starting to look at other ways of holding events. That is fine, what ER does has nothing to do with SCCA.

But what happens when ER takes its toys (Timers, cones, event chairman...) and starts a contract with another group to run autocrosses (For example: NASA) or gets insurance and runs on its own. Where are the FL region members going to go for Solo events?

I attend every ER meeting and even volunteer as Chief-of-workers for most events. I have been to FL region meetings and met with the board, they had an attitude about how the Solo program does nothing for them and that they don't need/want it... unless it makes them money.

I am very concerned that my dues, that go to this region, are doing nothing for me or any Solo program. I would like to possibly change regions to a more Solo friendly region, like CFR.

Can someone here please advise us FL region members as to what we can do about the lack of interest from the FL region in Solo? Any ideas will help.

bhudson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Apr 2006 02:35 PM

Find out the date and time of the next Florida Region Board of Director's meeting. Attend the meeting and express your concerns.

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region

MX5-RACER
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jun 2007 03:29 PM

UPDATE (6/28/07)

Florida Region now has no Solo program at all. They chose to break the contract they had with ER. I am going to switch my region to a more solo friendly region like CFR.

MX5-RACER
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Oct 2009 01:36 PM
    Just wanted to bring this back from the dead and re-state the fact that the FL region still has no Solo program. Instead of changing regions, I chose not to renew my membership and will attend Tours and Pros on the Weekend membership. It actually works out cheaper for me! It seems that two years was not long enough for the FL region to come up with its own Solo program, or even contact people who run solo and see about getting a program going.
    jhue75
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Oct 2009 03:29 PM

Interesting thread, and the timing is funny, as i have had this conversation the last few months with no less than 20 people, although, its NOT just FL region, its more along the lines of whats wrong with autocrossing in Florida.

We have the climate, a few great locations and many National caliber drivers. But, for some reason, there is no solidarity in majority of the clubs, or the presence is horribly lacking.

SCCA has virtually no presence in south Florida.

Central Florida, as much as I love it is fragmented, for reasons I wont pretend to know or even get into. CFR 83 Club Racing side is bar none one of the best regions, but our solo club is divided in 2? Why?

Bucaneer seems ok, as I have only run a few events with them.

I think I have had this discussion with people from CFR, south Florida and from up North. What is wrong with FLorida autox? We SHOULD have a tour or Pro Solo in that state as it was a few years ago.

Why don't we,.....I am sure there are many answers.

We seem to have alienated ourselves and everyone else, from within the state or from out of it, with what I can only discern is our ego's. There are SOME Great autox'ers and we should all be playing in each others back yards more. Bringing NATIONALS level course design ( dude, Gulf Coast down and back, makes for great appreciation for speed, but lets get some variety in there ).

Every driver that did well at Nationals PLAYED in each others back yard, and hit tours, outside of the state. Only to get the flavor they WERE not getting locally. Hats off to them. ( the Meridiths are always everywhere, Hats off to Bryce for his National Championship , and to Dave Marcus who trophied his first time at nationals...he was everywhere this year ) But to an extent it shouldn't be that way.

I'm sure I have opened a can of worms, but its something that is being discussed on some level. Lets get it out in the open and make some progress.

DC region is a great example, everybody comes out to play with most of the clubs ( DC region and Autocrossers Inc.) And you have great course design and drivers to race against everyweek.

Florida should be no different. I should be seeing Darren Disimo, Mike King , Greg Hahn, the Meridiths Danny Shields etc. every week. ( within reason ) Its like that in DC and Philly. Why not there?

Flame suit on...

Jason Huepenbecker

P. Lier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 08:51 AM

MX5-RACER wrote:
    Just wanted to bring this back from the dead and re-state the fact that the FL region still has no Solo program.  Instead of changing regions, I chose not to renew my membership and will attend Tours and Pros on the Weekend membership.  It actually works out cheaper for me!  It seems that two years was not long enough for the FL region to come up with its own Solo program.

Douglas,

You want something handed to you with no effort on your part, ain't gonna happen.  Let me give you my view.  Get a group of FL region members together and put together a plan with a budget, site selection for proposed solos, real 1's, not just wishfull thinking,  and be prepared to chair the program with all its pitfalls and rewards.  SCCA is a volunteer organization and if you want something to happen you NEED to volunteer.  Oh you can also run for your district BOG representative and work @ that level.  OOOPS you aren't an SCCA member.  

I am a CFR member and CFR governor, for 2 more months, and have seen lots of ideas presented to the BOG but nobody to take charge.

Peter 

MX5-RACER
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 12:41 PM

Hey Peter, this is DJ, good seeing you again at the last Chin event at Sebring.

I would love to do something like this, but I am a little busy doing this already with the local club (ER) here. This story started with a fear that at any time ER or SCCA could break this partnership that was going on, and the SCCA members would be left out in the cold, or holding the bag. This partnership ended, and it was the FL region that ended it, I tried to contact the FL region shortly after the separation; I attended meetings, but there seemed to be little or no support for any type of solo program. I was even told, at the meeting, that they do not need a solo program... "We know where the feeder programs are, and it's not Solo!"

I have been a SCCA member for years, but decided to let my membership lapse as I would not be getting anything out of my membership other than the ability to be able to run events on a National level. With the cost of eveything going up, and the mebership dues nearing the $100 mark, I decided to become a member of the club that was in my area and actually active in holding, and trying to hold events.

My purpose in bringing this thread back to life was to bring up this subject again and see if anyone had any constructive ideas or to see if anyone felt the same way I did, so thank you for adding in your thoughts.

P. Lier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 01:34 PM

DJ 

It's always an uphill battle to change things.  Needs more than a few people to be involved and might take getting people on the BOG to accomplish the change.  Now that being said is it worth the fight if there is a viable alternative.  Chin was fun, 1st time I got any track time to amount to anything in a year.  The M3 was running WARM, wonder why and couldn't get a Hot lap in without getting HOT.  

Peter 

MX5-RACER
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 01:49 PM

It did not help that it was 100,000 degrees out there either!

The problems in this region seem to be universal to alot of regions, in that there are only a few people willing to do the leg work. So when there comes a time for change, the people are already stretched so thin, that it becomes very difficult to see how adding more work now, could make less work later.

Vettelocke

--
    03 Nov 2009 11:04 AM

I read your post back when it began and had heard through my Buccaneer Region Solo buddies that Florida Region was ending any type of a Solo program. Reading the latest entries made me think of our situation in the Corvette club which I've been a active member of just a little less than SCCA (1972).

We have lots of National Council of Corvette Club member clubs in the Florida Region. We in North Florida put on an overwelming majority of autocrosses in the region. Getting any club south of line drawn from Brooksville to Palm Bay to put on any kind of event is just about impossible. Maybe it's a people thing with South Florida, just too few want to be bothered with a work intensive activity. That flies in the face of the successful Club Racing program at FL Region.

I don't have an answer to your problem except to say that a few (about ten) SCCA members that want to put on an autocross can usually find a way to have a fun time. Having to borrow timing equipment, cones.....well, that's all you really have to have in addition to a site and enough entry fee to cover the costs; make it difficult but not imposible.

Look toward your nearest Porsche Club or maybe law enforcment driver training people for guidance and equipment. Maybe find a small town, like Ockchobee (speel check!) to have the event in. Make if a fund raiser and the poliece may find the city street dept. may have some cones to borrow. You'll have to find a Safety Stwd. to entice to attend, maybe someone from CFR would help.

Good luck!

Locke McCormick / Jacksonville, FL

KrystynDean

--
    20 Nov 2009 11:33 AM

OK, I am late to the table here and must admit that I should have been here sooner, but there are some corrections that need to be made. Florida Region would LOVE to have a SOLO program. We have been literaly begging ANYONE to step up and get one started, we will give any and all help possible to further a SOLO program, but people it doesn't "just happen", SOMEONE must take the lead, some one needs to fill the position of SOLO DIRECTOR on the BOD and tell us what needs to happen, WE NEED A SOLO PERSON!!!! If you are truly interested in trying to have a SOLO program in South Florida, contact me. I am a member of the Florida Region BOD and I will do whatever I can to make this work, just contact me.

Krys Dean, Director Publications

krysdean@floridaregionscca.com

krysd@mindspring.com

(561) 753-7319

KrystynDean

--
    17 Dec 2009 10:04 AM

WOW, the silence is deafening. Guess it isn't important enough if someone else isn't willng to do it for you.

Krys Dean

P. Lier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Dec 2009 12:12 PM
    KrystynDean wrote:

WOW, the silence is deafening. Guess it isn't important enough if someone else isn't willng to do it for you.

Krys Dean

Krys,

Well said. Read my post above and you will see I say the same thing. Good to see that FL region just needs some people to step up. Carl Couric where are you. LOL

Peter

KrystynDean

--
    20 Dec 2009 09:08 AM

Hi Peter, It seems to be a part of SCCA, that 99% of the work is done by 10% of the members. I know I am presently wearing several hats, Webmaster, Publications (news letter), Merchandise and SARRC rep for the region. I also try to race the SARRC series in my GT-1 car and when I am not racing I have been doing F&C and now Paddock Marshall. In my spare time I try to run my business LOL. It has been this way for as long as I can remember and I don't look for it to change.

Unless someone is realy passionate about SOLO it wont get done and no one has stepped up yet, that is a shame. I would like to run some SOLO, what little exposure I have had has been very positive.

We do have a great new Rally Cross program, Tim Mincey, SR has taken the program by the horns and really is pushing it. We have a new web site going up in the next few days, check it out and check out the Rally page.

Krys

www.floridaregionscca.com

MX5-RACER
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Dec 2009 08:10 AM

Sorry for the delay in a response, it has been really busy around here lately. I would love to see the FL region have a Solo program, and I have, in the past gone to the meetings and volunteered, but the responses I got were not positive. I am currently part of a group that is running the Solo program for ER where I serve as Event Chairman, Chief of Workers, Course Designer and work regular shifts in timing. I was even at the first meeting, and every meeting since, when the ER/SCCA group was formed. I am a little miffed by your implying that I am too lazy and want someone else to do the work for me. I have clearly stated that I am already very active in the Solo program with another group, making it possible for other people to just show up at events.

The other thing that bothers me is that you say you want a Solo program, but have failed to contact anyone, at least none that I know, to see if they are interested in helping you. I will, if you would like, post on some local autocross forums and let people know that you are looking for people to help organize a Solo program. If you want to come out and run some Solo, come to an ER event, or even a PCA event. There are usually at least one event per month between ER and PCA, and if you factor in Ft. Myers, there are even more events.

I have been personally burned once by the FL region in regards to a Solo program, where they have stopped running a Solo program. I have also been around the Solo community long enough to have seen the first time it happened (Although, I was not old enough to be running in the events, I was in attendance). So you have to take into account that you have misunderstandings, bad-blood and other things like that working against you. If you really want a Solo program, contact people. The feeling in the Solo community is that you have abandoned Solo, and you do not want a Solo program, so I doubt that anyone is going to contact you to start a program. I again offer to post your request on some of the local autocross forums. I will do anything I can to help, but with an 18 month old daughter, I don't have the time/resources to dedicate that much more of my time serving as a Solo Chair. A couple of years ago, before the Region ended its partnership, I went to a BOD meeting and talked to the board; and like I said before the response I got was not positive. I was told that the region did not need a Solo program.

BrianCunningham

--
    22 Dec 2009 08:20 AM

Have you talked with these people at all?

[url]http://gulfcoastautocrossers.com/[/url]

KrystynDean

--
    23 Dec 2009 01:36 PM

Douglas, sorry to offend you, but the fact remains that no one has offered to step up. I would be delighted to have you post my contact information and the fact that we would like to have someone (or several somones) head up an active Solo program.

ER does an excellent job and we have no desire to take anything away from them, but we would like to have our own program, one that could encourage some National participation.

Tim Mincey has RallyCross up and running now and Solo should be our next step. The Solo Director who was the interface between the Region and ER had more to do with the problems we had with the cooperative arrangement we had with ER.

I can be reached at my e-mail address:

krysdean@floridaregionscca.com

or

H (561) 753-7319

C (561) 373-7766

KrystynDean

--
    23 Dec 2009 01:55 PM

Brian, Yes, I have sent Dave Hutter an e-mail, I have heard nothing back yet, but considering the season I am not expecting anything right away.

And thanks for the idea, any other ideas you have that might help, please feel free to share them with me.

Krys

KrystynDean

--
    10 Feb 2010 10:21 AM
    Henry Gilbert has been elected to fill the SOLO Director position on the Florida Region BOD, Henry brings a wealth of experience in both racing and SOLO, and has the resources to finally get the SOLO program running at top speed.<!-- Signature -->
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner