Use of Torque arm suspension in ESP and SM
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tom Slick

--
13 Apr 2006 11:28 AM

I need to find out some information for someone I know as well as myself. This person I know has a 2001 mustang (bullitt) the car has factory bolt in subframe connectors. He is wanting to add a torque arm suspension to his car and run in ESP. The type of torque arm he is wanting to use is made by maximum motorsports http://maximummotorsports.com/panha...talled.asp which uses a member that ties the two subframes connectors together which I read the rules for SM doesn't allow for lateral connection between the connectors or am I mistaken, can be allowed to add the torque arm in these two classes? Can you please clarify this issue.

Tom

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Apr 2006 11:59 AM

Tom,

Hopefully Andy will pipe in with his opinion on this. It seems as though the generally accepted premise as that adding the MM Torque arm provides lateral connection and therefore is illegal, requiring something like the Griggs with a floor pan mount.

If it were my car, I'd be willing to install the MM against the factory sub frames and see what the protests bring. My claim is that the 3/8" bolts in a pivot mount that hold the TA cross member to the Sub frame connectors are not providing lateral stiffness.

Keep in mind that I don't run Nationally in ESP/SM, nor have I analyzed this issue in several years and things may have been clarified either way since.

A Steeda 5 Link is legal. :)

HTH,

DaveW

carlakacarlos

--
    14 Apr 2006 11:26 AM
    47CP wrote:

A Steeda 5 Link is legal. :)

Steeda 5-link FTW!!!
    rmyers

--
    14 Apr 2006 12:12 PM

Tom,

You have correctly read the rules. I currently run the MM torque arm in ESP. I solved the issue by fabrication of a bracket utilizing the rear seat bolts of the front seat on each side. Seems to work so far. I have a '97 Cobra and the transmission crossmember already ties the two rails together approximately 12" forward of the MM part. If I only drove well enough to be protested!! I know the '99 and up cars only have a short trans crossmember up in the tunnel.

The Steeda 5 link is legal and works as well if not better than the MM parts. I just prefer the torque arm setup.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner