Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Jun 2006 07:46 PM
24 hours now. You da man!
Dragonwind

--
02 Jun 2006 08:27 PM

Lets see now, over 30 log in attempts and two password changes and I finally managed to get in TODAY. I had this same issues when I first created the account, not being able to actually GET logged in. My first post to this forum was after nearly an hour of login attempts.

Just curious here, why would you run this site on a server thats using Microcrap server software? don't you know that Unix/Linux/Apache based servers are far more stable and reliable than servers running on Microcrap?

Not to mention the minor fact that well over 75% of servers in the world are running non microsoft based server software for a reason (actually it's closer to 90% but we won't split hairs). It works consistently and microsoft software don't.

Also, an asp based forum is outdated when php based forums are far more reliable, are far easier to configure and run and have so many more template options that using asp is like hunting a bear with a toothpick.

Ok, now that I have vented my frustration about the login issues I have and offered some information that I am fairly sure you already know.. hope the login issue gets fixed.

Dragon

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Jun 2006 09:46 PM

There are no known login issues.

As far as your MS bashing, bash all you want, but I'm an MS guy, work with MS software day in and day out, and won't be switching anytime soon.

This isn't an ASP based software package. It's a Microsoft ASP.Net based platform written in C#.

Check your statistics about your beloved linux, they're probably 5 years old.

Bud Scott
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Jun 2006 09:59 PM
I'm going to IN-N-OUT in Lancaster now just to get your blood really boiling.
rtp.rick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Jun 2006 07:59 AM

I really appreciate your hard work in correcting this very annoying problem. I guess that's why we all love you so much. :-)

Rick Ruth

Dragonwind

--
03 Jun 2006 05:20 PM

Ok maybe there are no known issues. I'm making one known now. If I go up to the top of the page here and click sign in. I am ABSOLUTLY unable to sign in. Period. But if I use this address..

http://sccaforums.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=

Then I can log in. When I click the sign in link at the top of the page, it does take me to the sign in screen, but after putting my name and password in, it just recycles and does nothing. The address of the sign in screen though, is not the same as the one I just posted above. It's..

http://www.msscca.org/

So there is an issue here, although probably a small one as I did find a way around it. As for Linux/Unix/Apache...

an excerpt from the Apache HTTP webserver site:

Apache has been the most popular web server on the Internet since April 1996. The November 2005 http://news.netcraft.com/archives/w...urvey.html">Netcraft Web Server Survey found that more than 70% of the web sites on the Internet are using Apache, thus making it more widely used than all other web servers combined.

This of course was in 2005. Ultimatly thats neither here nor there. each person has their personal favorites and I respect you for your steadfast adherence to the windows server software. For myself, I have found windows to be needlessly cumbersome and ridiculously open to attacks. On my home pc, I run windows, more because the version I run I have spent four years cleaning up and other than name alone, it's not much like windows software anymore. On my server, I run Redhat Linux and the Apache server software.

Each person has their preference for software, you have yours, I have mine and thats what makes it so fun. Now then, concerning asp.net let me simply say this. Asp is cumbersome from my experience. Not to mention needlessly loading down a systems processors. Maybe windows has improved their product some since I used it, but you know the old saying, Bite me once, and your not going to have the chance to do it again. It was Windows server 2000 and it's horrible and disgusting failures that made me turn to Linux and the Apache server software to run my server with.

But enough of that lol... There is a problem with sign in, From the looks of it, it's probably something ridiculously simple like a broken link or server call in the code somewhere. I did find a route around it and so for myself the problem is now moot.

So how about them GT races huh? Anyone watch the races in New York this afternoon?

Dragon

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Jun 2006 09:30 PM
Dragon, what browser?
Dragonwind

--
04 Jun 2006 10:25 PM

Internet explorer version 6.0.2800.1106

In other words, a fully updated IE6

I run Windows 98se because I absolutly hated the way they put xp pro together. Bought the program, loaded it. used it for a year, and decided I liked 98se better so I went back to it.

Primary reasons...

XP pro as with all windows software, installs onto your system, un needed programs which, because you have no choice BUT to install them (there are NO options not to install them) your system is far more vulnerable to attack by someone with bad intent.

Second, 98se while it also installs un needed programs, doesn't try to shut down if you remove them, they are not integrated into the overall operation of the software, making removal, like lobotomizing your computer.

Third, most new virus's being made, are being designed to attack NT based systems like windows XP, meaning my computer, as time progresses, won't be attacked by the nasty stuff ya'll will get hit with as often.

fourth and foremost in my mind... I can find system programs in 98 a lot easier than in xp, where it seems they deliberatly tried to stop a person from being able to turn off or delete things by hiding them under rediculously complicated layers of obfuscation (i.e. Favorites are no longer stored under c:/windows/favorites they are now hidden away in documents and settings blah blah blah.)

And finally. When you install windows xp, it insall itself as a server rather than an operating system. needlessly complicating user requirements to run the system. Not to mention the small fact that running as a server means every time you connect to the internet, your system is being seen AS A SERVER and therefore far more likely to be atacked by a hacker. Now, unless they changed this in the last 4 yrs, and removed this from the coding, which I doubt, no thanks. I don't want my computer being ran as a server. Whether I want it to or not.

Bill Gates thinks he can tell people what they want, even when they don't want it (ever try to install windows, and tell it NOT to install the internet service stuff like AOL and Compuserv and then after install, STILL find it installed on your system, even though you EXPRESSLY told the install NOT to install it?). Nuff Said.

As for my server. RedHat Linux and Apache. All the way.

Don't get me wrong though. I know that XP is getting ready to be beat out by Microsofts newest OS, which will be even more comlicated, less stable, mopre prone to crashes, hyper suceptable to virus's and bill gates will tell the world it's the best OS Microsoft has ever made, and the gullible will buy it because they have been told by God gates that it's the best. And of course, we all know Bill gates is God (or The Anti Christ, depending on who you talk too)

Dragon

Dragonwind

--
04 Jun 2006 10:37 PM

Forgive my ranting about Microsoft, I used to be an exceptionally loyal microsoft person, until I realized one thing. you can't buy a system running anything but microsoft on it, unless you go apple/mac. And with many of the comp manufacturing companies, if you delete and install a different OS it voids your warranty right then and there, so while gates may 'claim' he doesn't have a monopoly, try buying a compaq with LINUX or SOLARIS or some other non microsoft OS on it. You can't do it.

For the most part, if you go buy a new computer, your stuck with what they tell you you need, and I have issues about people telling me what I need, beacsue they 'know whats best for me'. Yeah I know, sounds like a personal problem lol and you would be right. I'm 41 yrs old. I'm big enough now to make my own choices about what I want. Don't need big brother or his nasty little cousins, telling me what I want.

Thus my angst against Microsoft and most computer makers these days. I build my own systems, I don't buy them ready made).

Anyway, nuff said and I'll stop whining now.

Dragon

KC

--
05 Jun 2006 10:18 AM

http://www.newegg.com - Build your own. That, and 98SE has way more holes than XP. :)

On that note, I had to log back in today. On top of that, every now and then I get the white error message.. something like "Request couldnot be processed. The SCCAForums staff has logged this and will be looking into it" on three different occasions.

1) After logging in on home page, clicking a quick link to a thread I've particiapted in.
2 & 3) Going into other threads from 'Latests Posts'. I'd click on it, get the error. Click Back in the browser, and then click the link again, and it works.

--kC

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Jun 2006 10:29 AM

The login today was due to the fact I didn't set the timeout on the cookie for very long. I've extended it now, should last quite a while now.

I'll look into the error logs, see what kind of errors people are getting.

As for 98SE, I won't even begin to comment on those threads.

Dragonwind

--
05 Jun 2006 07:41 PM

Eh, eventually I'll have to switch back to xp, a lot of the programs I use every day are now made for the software. And to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, they generally do try to fix security and other issues as fast as they can. I'm just not hot on the software as it is now. I don't particularly like having a computer do things I didn't tell it to do. Nor software installing that I specifically told it not to install. Those are more than anything else, my biggest issues with Microsoft software. And as for 98se having more holes than xp, I patched 98 se with all available security patches. When I load xp, I have significantly MORE patches to install. Not that it really matters. I'll eventually be forced to start running xp, which means getting that xp pro disk out and patching the software for 16 hours or better after it's installed.

*shrugs* thats life in the slow lane LOL

Dragon

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Jun 2006 03:56 PM

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software...180287.php

"Not huge news, but if you’re anything like me, you’re probably still triple-booting Windows 98, 98 SE, and ME just for the old-timey masochistic thrill of it all. Well, it appears that Microsoft will officially stop supporting these operating systems on July 11 and they all contain a security hole so big that it will make pr0n spyware problems seems as innocuous as an errant system clock. These OSes are extremely vulnerable through TCP port 139, so you should button things up tight and wear a conundrum when using 98 machines.

mattm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Jun 2006 08:58 PM

But, Wait, There's More:

The new MS Vista sounds like more fun (irony alert).

<!-- END "IN TODAY'S EMAIL" HEADER & DATE --><!-- END ANCHORED NAV -->
Thursday, June 8, 2006

<!-- BEGIN ANCHORED NAV -->THIS WEEK IN CIRCUITS: Arts and Crafts for the Digital Age
<!--END ANCHOR LINKS --> <!--BEGIN DAVID POGUE -->
From the Desk of David Pogue
<!-- HEADLINE -->For New Windows, New Requirements

<!-- BODY -->

As you probably know, Microsoft's Windows team sits at the top of an enormous economic pyramid whose base encompasses millions of people all over the world. A new version of Windows means that all those people will buy new computers to run it. Those sales provide enormous boosts to PC companies like Dell and HP. Their company stock climbs. Investors get rich.

<!--END BIG AD-->

A new version of Windows may also require a new version of your favorite software program. Millions of people buy new copies of thousands of programs, triggering yet another economic wave.

Windows Vista, the upcoming new version of Windows, has been delayed, delayed and delayed again; Microsoft is now aiming to ship it to consumers in January 2007. The company has taken a P.R. beating with these delays. But I'm with Microsoft here; they say, better to get it right than to rush out something that's not ready for prime time.

Last week, Microsoft at least nailed down the Windows Vista system requirements (or "sys-reqs," as the Windows team calls them). You can read the full document here, but here's the gist. To run all features of Windows Vista, your PC needs, at the very least:

* 1 GHz processor.

* 1 GB of memory.

* A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2. (What does that mean? You got me; the Microsoft Web site above explains, but in pure technospeak. Just be sure to ask if the graphics board qualifies when you're buying a new PC.)

* 128 MB of graphics memory.

* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free; a DVD drive, speakers, and Internet access.

Needless to say, these are minimums; more and faster is better.

Now, you'll be able to run Vista on a lesser machine (click the link above), but it won't be attractive. The Mac OS X-like visual design scheme called Aero, which features glass-like transparent window edges and other niceties, will drop away. (Good luck to people who intend to write books about Windows Vista--I'm among them--who have to figure out how to illustrate two completely different looks for Windows.)

Why am I bringing this up now, seven months before Vista? Because you might intend to buy a new computer in the meantime, and you'll be kicking yourself if you buy one now that's not capable of running Vista. You need to think ahead.

So how is Vista looking, now that it's hit Beta version 2?

The controversy is already swirling, but I can tell you a few things that you have to look forward to.

First of all, it's great-looking and filled with nifty features. Both the looks and the new features owe a heavy debt to Apple's Mac OS X. ("Some people will say some of the features are kissing cousins to features they've seen elsewhere, and that is true," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted to eWeek.com. "I'm not apologetic about the fact that we...study and learn and benefit from the work others have done.")

One huge advance comes from the tiniest little change: a new system font that just gives the whole affair a cleaner, more refined, more modern look.

Windows will be a LOT more secure; Microsoft realizes that the eyes of the world are upon it in this regard. The whole virus-spyware thing has spun out of control on Microsoft's watch, and the company says that it has hunkered down to fix things in a serious way.

Unfortunately, making Windows more secure also makes Windows even naggier than it already is. Expect to be interrupted far more often with dialog boxes asking if it's OK to install this or download that.

This will be annoying, yes, but also reassuring, because these are moments of vulnerability that used to pass without your knowledge. For virus and spyware writers, these blockades that now require your personal OK. (For one columnist's take on this phenomenon, see this Computerworld story.)

Some long-needed fixes are coming, too. Windows's notoriously confusing and sometimes flaky standby/hibernate/shutdown routine has been elegantly simplified. Now the basic "I'm not using it" condition is called Sleep. It keeps the PC using minimal power but in a ready-to-wake condition--but if you don't, in fact, wake it for several days (or whatever period you specify), it drops into a deeper slumber that uses no power. Badly written programs that used to wake up your closed laptop in order to display some dialog box (the "hot laptop" syndrome, and the reason Windows laptops often arrive at your destination with a dead battery) will be summarily shut up.

Note, by the way, that there will be at least FIVE different versions of Windows, each containing a different set of features. The corporate versions won't have Media Center (TV-recording) features, for example, and the basic versions won't have Tablet PC (handwriting-recognition) features. Once again, good luck to book authors!

I've ordered a new PC that can run Vista (the beta) myself, and I'll be reporting on more details as soon as it arrives. Meanwhile, don't buy a PC without checking the sys-reqs.

P.S.--Last week, I reviewed a flaky GPS system given to me by a relative. Many of you wrote in fury and disgust that I "publicly trashed" a gift that someone spent a lot of money on.

Fear not; the relative's feelings are intact. This person has no Internet access and received only the warmest praise and thanks from my wife and me. My wife (the relative's relative) approved the column and is confident that my writeup will remain our little secret.

P.P.S.--The new Pogue blog (http://nytimes.com/pogue) is amazing. Not the blog itself, but rather, the part YOU write. I found your comments in response to two of the entries, in particular, truly useful and well-informed. You answered two reader questions: "Can I transfer my old 8mm movies to high definition?" and "How can I stop junk faxes for good?"

Check it out.

This week's Pogue's Posts blog.

Visit David Pogue on the Web at DavidPogue.com.

wangfangs
Likely a spammer

--
30 Jun 2013 10:02 PM
Dragon, what browser?
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner