Tire choices for street tire class
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CDS

--
20 Apr 2006 10:13 AM
    I've been using Azenis (195/60-14) on my Miata for several years. Are these still the preferred street tire? (I don't want to go to r-compounds, I'm doing good to keep those on the CRX racecar [:)]). Has anybody tried the new Hankooks? Any other recommendations?
    wffurr

--
    20 Apr 2006 12:31 PM
    I've heard good things about the Yokohama EVS100s and Kumho MXs. I got tired of the road noise from the Azenis and switched to Kumho Ecsta SPTs. They're a nice compromise for sticking fairly well and not driving me insane on the highway.
    Kim Humphries

--
    20 Apr 2006 01:40 PM

Hankook Ventus Z212

Falken Azenis 615

Kumho Ecsta MX

Yokohama Advan - pricey and only if you want a skinny 16" OR 17" + tire

In no particular order.

P.S. The SEARCH button will get you more info than you will ever want to read on this.

CDS

--
    20 Apr 2006 02:33 PM

Thanks Kim.

kameleon

--
    20 Apr 2006 07:01 PM
    I wish there was another option like the old 215 azenis'. I mean for $200 you can get a complete set of street/race tires. Awesome for the "budget" racer. I have a fresh set on my 85 mr2 and 2 spares. I want to make them last as long as possible. :)

I don't like the lack of a sidewall belt and tread belt on the 615's. Plus at $75 a tire...... more cost for less tire? C'mon.

My 2 cents.

Kim Humphries

--
    20 Apr 2006 08:45 PM

Even the hoarded 215s are almost gone. Oil prices are up so tire prices are up. Bigger tires/wheels continue to gain in popularity and OEM spec. The days of bargain ST tires may be behind us - I'm shaving mine and treating them like race tires.

I'm still able to get a nice Falken 205/5015 street tire for my car for $52 ea.(DDD) so I don't feel too bad about annual carnage on those for keeping my SOLO alignment setup year round.

I ran well in GS last season with the MINIs but jumped ship for STS for '06. The difference from buying Kumho 710s and now some shaved 'Kooks didn't hurt me as much as some in the long term ST classes.

Now I have to learn how to drive on these gol dang squealy things! Trophied and got some contingency even5t #1 - we'll see!

Have fun.

Dark_helmet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Apr 2006 09:13 PM
    Kim Humphries wrote:

P.S. The SEARCH button will get you more info than you will ever want to read on this.

And still doesn't help the decision making process any.
    Kim Humphries

--
    21 Apr 2006 09:13 AM

Yeah, after narrowing the field of possible suppliers I picked the tire starting with size. After running 225 R comps I was not going to any smaller footprint for STS. Though Falken and Hankook both had Q2 225/50/15 planned for release I was not going to depend on that to start my season - I would have been without tires if I had waited.

225/45/16 Hankooks were the only real option. Went with new wheels (thanks Team Dynamics!) so I probably have a larger contact patch than before (forgetting tire pattern voids, that is).

Went with 205/45/16 in the rear and will probably be upping that to a 215 soon after some more seat time.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner