samperry007

--
26 Apr 2006 02:07 PM

Where does everyone practice?

wffurr

--
    26 Apr 2006 02:22 PM
    Not quite sure what you mean by "practice."

I practice some techniques, like left-foot braking, shuffle steering, and heel-toe just driving around town.

If you mean practice judging your path and the "feel" of your car in a corner, you can't really legally do that outside of an autocross, as far as I know.
    mrmiatanut
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 02:37 PM
    The best way is to go to as many events as possible to get the most seat time. Trust me, from personal experience, you DO NOT want to try this at home. Or anywhere else for that matter. I'm lucky to still be alive.
    CDS

--
    26 Apr 2006 02:40 PM
    I usually practice during the first 2 or 3 runs of each event.[:D]
    samperry007

--
    26 Apr 2006 03:09 PM

If I could get some cones and set them up out at my local airport (with permission) would that be a good place to practice?

mrmiatanut
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 03:17 PM
    I dont suggest doing that. Finding a good place anywhere is very hard to come by. If something were to happen to you or someone, where ever you are, You would be way up the creek. We have insurance for all the SCCA events. That covers you, everyone that has signed the waiver and anything that may happen at that location. There are events with in 2-3 hours of where your are at least every 3 weeks. I suggest looking up the nearby regions and finding out when they hold events.
    samperry007

--
    26 Apr 2006 03:51 PM

Ok thanks for the input.

GroovinPickle
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 04:41 PM
    samperry007 wrote:
    If I could get some cones and set them up out at my local airport (with permission) would that be a good place to practice?

If you've got connections at your local airport and you think they might be receptive to the idea, you should get in touch with Teddy, Skip, etc. and see if they want to contact the airport officials and possibly hold an event there. Part of the reason that places like Columbus Air Force Base and Grenada Municipal Airport let us hold events there is because the SCCA provides millions of dollars worth of insurance for official events. If you think that it's a possible event site, get in touch with some of our SCCA board members and let them know.
    LanceS13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 07:23 PM

What everybody else said...it's pretty much impossible to safely practice holding you car at the limit on a public road...but let me tell you what I do.

Whenever I approach any curve on any road, I set up on the outside, drive through the apex, and track out...anywhere...doesn't even have to be a sharp curve. Do not do this at the limits of adhesion...you can actually do this at the speed limit. Running 10/10ths on a public road is extremely dangerous. And stay in your lane...you'd be surprise how wide the road gets when you start doing this. See how close you can get the outside wheels to the grass on entry and exit (which is a big reason you shouldn't do this anywhere near 10/10ths...dropping a wheel off at speed is very scary), and put the inside wheel on the center dividing line at apex. The benefits are two-fold...you begin to understand the physical size of your car which helps you drive closer to the cones w/o hitting them, and you're constantly practicing the racing line so that it becomes second nature. This also helps you become a more competent driver on the streets...I've squeezed my car between two black cows standing way too close together in the middle of the road at night at 60mph, through a 7ft gap between the top of a downed tree and the edge of the road in a heavy rain at 50mph, through a quickly closing gap between a rolling 5 gallon bucket and a tire carcas at 80mph, and probably a few more instances...all without a scratch...I guess sometimes you get practice even when you don't want it.

mrmiatanut
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 07:29 PM
    Lance,
    We all know you're a bad ass. But we don't need to get anyone killed. LOL.

Sam,
    Just take it easy and dont push your car tooo hard on the street. Im just looking out for ya. I can tell you some good "I told you so" stories about myself. Im sure some of the other guys will be glad to chime in.

CDS

--
    26 Apr 2006 07:51 PM

mrmiatanut wrote:
    I can tell you some good "I told you so" stories about myself. Im sure some of the other guys will be glad to chime in.

Yeah, I seem to remember something about drifting through an intersection in front of the assistant police chief's unmarked car.[;)]

slacker7

--
    26 Apr 2006 09:40 PM
    Lance, How do you find yourself in these type of situations in the first place? Maybe you need to start looking ahead :p
    slacker7

--
    26 Apr 2006 09:55 PM
    All I will say is, keep it safe.

Also, I would like to quote Timo Makinen when he was asked how he perfected his scandinavian flick and excecutes it so flawlessly....

"It takes a lot of practice and many cars."
    slacker7

--
    26 Apr 2006 09:57 PM
    CDS wrote:

mrmiatanut wrote:
    I can tell you some good "I told you so" stories about myself. Im sure some of the other guys will be glad to chime in.

Yeah, I seem to remember something about drifting through an intersection in front of the assistant police chief's unmarked car.[;)]

Before I met him I saw him almost rear end an SUV just after taking a turn too hot.....
    LanceS13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2006 11:40 PM

slacker7 wrote:
    Lance, How do you find yourself in these type of situations in the first place? Maybe you need to start looking ahead :p

Aw, come on...gimme a little credit. :) Black cows at night on a blacktop road don't show up too well, the rain was so heavy you couldn't see 40ft ahead of the car, and the bucket fell off the truck in front of me as he had the blowout. You stay on the road as much as I do, you're bound to find yourself in a "situation" eventually.

samperry007

--
    27 Apr 2006 02:24 PM
    I will check with the airport and see what they have to say.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner