Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
06 Jun 2006 02:29 PM
    Welcome to the newly created Milwaukee/Chicago Solo Forum!
    Patrick Washburn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Jun 2006 06:22 PM

Cool!

While it's nice to have local or regional forums, with my browsing style, it's kinda getting clunky at least for me. I browse by just hitting the "View Latest Posts" link. Works great and I enjoy it a lot. There's getting to be lots of local "clutter" though. (No offense...I know it's not clutter to you all, but when to be there for course setup in Cleveland doesn't really interest me.) :)

I like having a Milwaukee/ Chicago forum, but I don't want to contribute with my own clutter at the same time. Is there a way I can filter what forums I see when I click on Latest Posts??? Maybe segregate out the local forums? If not, maybe something to consider.

No biggy either way, I can just look around them if that can't be done ...thanks for all the hard work and an excellent place to visit!!

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Jun 2006 06:30 PM
    Patrick Washburn wrote:

I like having a Milwaukee/ Chicago forum, but I don't want to contribute with my own clutter at the same time. Is there a way I can filter what forums I see when I click on Latest Posts??? Maybe segregate out the local forums? If not, maybe something to consider.

There's a new software release coming in the next couple of weeks, I believe it will have better filtering capabilities. If not I'll work on setting up some filtering for people to use.

C

2superblus
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2006 11:41 AM

Thank you for the new home:)

Gefiltefish
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2006 03:53 PM

Thanks for setting this up Chris!

-Sam Karp, Milwaukee Region Solo Chairman, Milwaukee Tour Chairman

rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Jun 2006 06:01 PM

I've gotta agree with Pat Washburn. This was an unnecessary and undesireable item for any group that already has an active forum. To check on what's going on locally, it's best to have ONE source, not a bunch. This one just adds to the mix and I can't see that there's any good purpose.

I suppose for those Regions (groups) that don't already have a forum going, this may be helpful, but for an area like Chicago/Milwaukee, it just adds too many places to go AND clutters up this forum. I'm not sure who added it and sure can't understand why Mr. Karp would support it. What does one do now, post in two places? What a waste of time!! I'm sure that those folks in San Francisco could care less that the illconceived event in Rantoul has waived its late fee. It seems to me that this Forum should be for National issues, not local.

All IMHO, of course.

Thanks for the great NATIONAL source,
    Rick Ruth

Gefiltefish
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2006 10:51 PM
    rtprick wrote:

....and I can't see that there's any good purpose.

...and sure can't understand why Mr. Karp would support it.

Rick-this was discussed with the current "leaders" of the Milwaukee and Chicago SCCA solo community. Essentially Pat Montelo and I thought this would be a better place than the chicagoautox forum to gain more recognition for our regions. With Milwaukee Region hosting a Tour and Chicago Region hosting a Cen-Div, we believe this forum would be viewed by out-of-area people that are not aware of the chicagoautox group. Your comments on National source and what not is exactly why *I* wanted this forum. Plus, new people local to Milwaukee and Chicago may find this easier than chicagoautox (I would give you an example, but of course, yahoo groups is down right now!).

Pat and I also like the UBB format better than the Yahoo format as we have the ability to sticky important topics like info on the Street Tire classes, event guidlines, policy changes, etc.

I don't think you need to be worried about missing out on important stuff. I intend to post all important information on both Yahoo Groups and SCCAForums.

Alex Tziortzis
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 12:26 AM

As I replied in private email, if you look at the yahoogroups subscription to chicagoautox, over 50% of the members get their "forum" information via email. They get individual emails, and respond via individual email.

I agree with Rick, there is no technical reason to use this site. In fact, when I come to sccaforums I only click on "latest posts" and thats it.

Anyway, I would be happy to rename chicagoautox to ChiMilwautox if thats what is holding you back.

Alex

Patrick Washburn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 08:56 AM
    rtprick wrote:
    I've gotta agree with Pat Washburn. This was an unnecessary and undesireable item for any group that already has an active forum.

Rick, that's not what I said. I said that while I like the new forum, I do not like adding to the local clutter on a National Forum like this. I don't like wading through the "Are you going to be there Sunday" posts, therefore I don't like adding to that. (I consider this a National, not a local forum.)

Personally, the Milwaukee Yahoo group does nothing for me. It's clunky and rarely used. My tiny little club in Minnesota has 20 times more volume than the entire Milwaukee area. I think it's because their forum is easy to use, reliable, and formatted well. We have events in Milwaukee and I wait for discussion to come afterwards, but I just get crickets. It's like, doesn't anyone talk to each other around here? Kind of a cold feeling. There's a real community feeling in the Minnesota club that I think is nice.

If you get your mail via private e-mail Like Alex, than maybe you don't want to increase traffic...I wouldn't either, I get enough as it is. I tend to browse with the "latest post" thing.

I guess if you want the main function of this to be just announcements and the occasional short discussion, than Yahoo will do the job. If you want to encourage lots of discussions about different topics, have a For Sale place, and stuff like that, than this kind of forum is better. The best solution IMO, would be to set up a Chi/Mil forum on it's own so we could have our own forum categories and stuff. Example is www.mnautox.com.

We will all never agree on this, so in the end I'm good with whatever.

rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 10:29 AM

The "agreement" part was that it adds to the clutter. The Chicago/Milwaukee Yahoo Groups works just great. Again, more than what it offers is "clutter." If one has nothing else to do but sit on these forums, I guess more is better. It can become a way of life, everyday.

Now, as Sam Karp suggests, we'll be reading the same stuff in both places. Oh, joy!! Wouldn't that be considered clutter? Seems as if it's all counter productive to me.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

2superblus
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 10:49 AM

I see only benefits to having this section in a national forum, there is no downside to allowing people from other regions an easy way to contact us. The yahoo goup is good for the shootout that is going on in there now, but that is somthing for the locals. We are trying to promote our region and would like to draw more people and have a larger presense nationally.

For example the National Tour event will draw a great deal of people and some have never been to Milwaukee, where would they find a place to contact us? They would probably post in a general section and hope that someone from our region might see it. Here they have a better chance of getting a answer to whatever question they might have for us.

I see no downside to being easy to find.

Bart Hockerman

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 10:53 AM

This software actually allows email functionality. Allowing you to get emails from a forum, and even respond to those emails and have them post to the forum, so it can work just like Yahoo Groups in that respect. We don't currently have the license for that yet, but I'm working on getting a legitimate copy of that license if I can work that agreement out. Otherwise it would run about $15k for the licenses.

As I stated, I'll definitely put filtering into the latest posts as a high priority software modification to work on.

Gefiltefish
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 12:49 PM
    rtprick wrote:

Now, as Sam Karp suggests, we'll be reading the same stuff in both places. Oh, joy!! Wouldn't that be considered clutter? Seems as if it's all counter productive to me.

Rick-its a free country! You don't have to read this forum if you don't want. Especially when I have stated that I will post all important information on both here and the Yahoo site. Take your pick. Wait, what am I talking about, you're moving to St Louis anyway!

Its only counter productive to who has to spend the time posting on both forums. I have no problem doing a control-A, control-C, control-V. I'm overpaid and underworked!

As Bart said, I see no downside to this forum. The Chicago Region Solo Chair and Vice Chair wanted it. I wanted it. In the end, we are the ones that make the decision. Thats why we get paid the big bucks.

Just move already won't you! And take Hillman with you! J/K, I love you both and will miss you severely.

Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 01:12 PM
    Personally, I think this forum will help the group communicate easier. With the yahoo groups you don't get all of the replies together with the original post, it might be 20 posts before the one you are reading.

It's up to the users if they want to use this forum or yahoo groups, I think most people will move here. If Chris can get the licensing to be able to reply to messages via mail, then this forum can provide the best of both worlds (forum and email replies).

Users can subscribe to this forum and receive emails of all the new posts at this point, however, you need to access the site to post replies or start a new thread. Once you're logged in go to this link (http://sccaforums.com/forums/ForumS...ions.aspx) you can select this forum and you can have all of the posts emailed to you.

And again, thanks for all the help Chris.
    Bryan S
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 01:36 PM

This location for our forums (St. Louis) has worked out really well. It's helped connect many of the programs. Before, when much of our internet exchange was was via solo2.org there was very little participation from the other programs. Now I think there is a bit more from rally and road racing. That said, solists seem to spend waaayy more time on the internet. This has become a good vehicle for many people to inquire about our activities.

Personaly I like being able to see how other regions do things. Having forums for other regions on the same site allows this. It helps connect national topics with the local topics. That may help more people decide to participate at a national level. That's a good thing right?

rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 01:47 PM

Well guys, be careful what you wish for. I also don't know of a way I can avoid posts here. When I ask for what I haven't read, I get it all, until I read it. As was mentioned just clutter. I don't think the "delete" button has been installed. :-)

BTW, if I wanted info on Milwaukee Region or its Tour, I would think, maybe this is irrational, that I'd go to Milwaukee's excellent Solo website. My guess would be that there would be more info there than here. I've always gone to other Region's sites when I've wanted to know how they do things. I can do that on an as needed basis.

Sorry to disagree with you guys, but, oh well!!

H's & K's,
    Rick

Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jun 2006 02:17 PM
    rtprick wrote:

The "agreement" part was that it adds to the clutter. The Chicago/Milwaukee Yahoo Groups works just great. Again, more than what it offers is "clutter." If one has nothing else to do but sit on these forums, I guess more is better. It can become a way of life, everyday.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

I don't think the yahoo groups works that well, I think that is where I disagree with you. I would like to see everyone stop using the yahoo group and move to this forum. That would stop "clutter", but I can't force people to come here. It's up to the users what they want use, obviously a group of us believe that this is a better alternative.

I was going to place a post on the yahoo board letting everyone know that the forum exists. If everyone decides to say there, we can close this forum down... I don't think that will happen.

edlocke

--
    08 Jun 2006 04:09 PM
    Gefiltefish wrote:

The Chicago Region Solo Chair and Vice Chair wanted it.

[^o)]
    Just to be clear, my response was "I don't have an opinion on this..." Not as strong an endorsement as you made it sound!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it was not something I rigorously pursued!

Ed "The Vice" Locke
    JPJ

--
    08 Jun 2006 04:23 PM
    I would much rather visit a forum like this then the Yahoo groups.

Thanks!

wi_whoami

--
    08 Jun 2006 04:24 PM
    There is also the ability to get a RSS feed.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner