08 Jun 2006 04:40 PM
+1 to move here.
Gefiltefish
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Jun 2006 05:10 PM

edlocke wrote:
Just to be clear, my response was "I don't have an opinion on this..." Not as strong an endorsement as you made it sound!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it was not something I rigorously pursued!

Ed "The Vice" Locke

Ed, sorry, I got your reply mixed with Greg. To my knowledge, Greg was in full support of it. I still get you two guys mixed up all of the time!

edlocke

--
08 Jun 2006 05:20 PM
Gefiltefish wrote:

Ed, sorry, I got your reply mixed with Greg. To my knowledge, Greg was in full support of it. I still get you two guys mixed up all of the time!

I understand. I am the taller, better looking, slower one.
[:D]

BTW, see how well I adapt? I already have my avatar and sig working. I have propelled myself into the 1990's today![Y]
gregmeier
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Jun 2006 05:38 PM
Taller...given.

Better looking...I'm not going there.

Slower..typically, you're a bit slower than I am and I hope the deficit grows ;-).

Yes, I was in full support of this additional way to communicate in a more open forum than the Yahoo Groups. I think the yahoo groups is useful but limited and there are advantages to using this type of forum.

Will it be ideal? Who the hell knows. If it becomes cumbersome I'm sure Sam, Jason and Chris will handle that as it comes...

aseipos
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Jun 2006 08:21 PM
Have to agree with those who say this forum is redundant of our longstanding yahoo group. Maybe avatars and RSS make it preferable for some, but not to me.

Andy Seipos
#597 Street Tire

pmontelo

--
09 Jun 2006 12:36 AM

Ed, let me just say that you’re taking a good political stance going into Monday's CR meeting!

By the way, you have my permission to blame me for this decision since I won’t be at the meeting. I'll be away on business next week, so it will take a while for me to get back to all of the hate mail in my inbox. ;)

History:

When Jason and Sam asked a few of us via email if we wanted to be included in the name of this new forum, I thought it would be better to be included in the forum rather than excluded. My reasoning was simple: inclusion is good, exclusion is bad. Both regions are very closely related and we want to keep the lines of communication flowing regardless of where they occur. But I still question their ability to alphabetize. :)

Since Jason and Sam said they had already voted to create this new forum at the Milwaukee meeting, I decided not to discourage them by pointing out all of the little potential problems with the idea, i.e. like confusion over which forum would be the “official” forum. Several other people who were copied on the original and subsequent emails discussing this idea quickly jumped in to point out what they perceived as potential flaws after my initial response to Jason. David was included, so rest assured that they got an earful.

I suggested that Jason and Sam simply post a message on chicagoautox to make their announcement and then let people decide on their own which forum they prefer. I also warned them that more people would bitch and moan if they decided to go ahead, which they apparently did.

I think time will tell which forum people prefer by which site they end up using. I also think that an “open market” method of deciding which is preferable better serves the community than an autocratic decision. Yes, I realize that may mean, if you’ve got something important to say, you may want to post it in both places to make sure everyone sees it.

Full disclosure:

I personally prefer a web interface because I can get to the information from any computer that I'm on and I don't have to maintain a copy locally. I already receive way too much email to keep up, and I don’t need some mailing list spamming me with information that I may never read. I realize that others have perfectly sound reasons for desiring email delivery, but it’s not my preference by a long shot. I use the web interface on yahoo, which I think sucks, but it’s better than email for me.

I prefer vBulletin over this software, but in general, this is the type of software that I find has the features that provide a more compelling internet community than yahoogroups. I can even edit my posts to fix the typos and gramatical errors that I always find just after I hit the send button. I realize that others prefer the yahoo groups format for their own perfectly valid reasons.

That’s all from Memphis for this evening. See many of you on Sunday.

Pat

Patrick Washburn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jun 2006 10:19 AM

This really will be just like the Yahoo thing, only easier to use and more reliable,. It's still a single category amid a wash of other catergories that don't relate to anything local.

For my 2 cents, I would ultimately like to see a Discussion Group inside the Miwaukee SCCA website, just like we have at the Minnesota Autosports Club. I don't care about projecting our local region to a National audience, as someone else suggested. That's not what it's for. It's for bringing the local group of people together. Shoot the bull, have some fun, get to know new people, talk about the course, get a sense of community,... This is important IMHO to a member driven club.

We (The Minnesota Autosports Club) have snagged and retained more new members through effective use of our discussion group. *Members that are now running things*. Maybe that's not important to everyone, but it will be when the core burns out and you searching for new blood to run things. (Minnesota Autosports Club almost died because of this a few years back.)

Of course, I am not able or willing to do all the hard work that's needed to setup, host, and maintain such a group, so I say it as a light suggestion. If I could, I would.

Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jun 2006 10:44 AM
aseipos wrote:
Have to agree with those who say this forum is redundant of our longstanding yahoo group. Maybe avatars and RSS make it preferable for some, but not to me.

Andy Seipos
#597 Street Tire

Well, if the users like this forum I would like to see it replace the yahoo group. That is up to the users though.
Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jun 2006 10:59 AM
pmontelo wrote:

I decided not to discourage them by pointing out all of the little potential problems with the idea, i.e. like confusion over which forum would be the “official” forum. Several other people who were copied on the original and subsequent emails discussing this idea quickly jumped in to point out what they perceived as potential flaws after my initial response to Jason. David was included, so rest assured that they got an earful.

I knew that there would be people who didn't like the idea, however, I think there are lots of other people who like the idea.

pmontelo wrote:
I suggested that Jason and Sam simply post a message on chicagoautox to make their announcement and then let people decide on their own which forum they prefer. I also warned them that more people would bitch and moan if they decided to go ahead, which they apparently did.
And this is the plan. I see that the email I sent to the yahoo group about the forum at 2:30pm finally got into my inbox at 12:03am, so we'll see.

Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jun 2006 11:01 AM
Patrick Washburn wrote:

It's for bringing the local group of people together. Shoot the bull, have some fun, get to know new people, talk about the course, get a sense of community,... This is important IMHO to a member driven club.

This is what I'm hoping will happen here....
JPJ

--
09 Jun 2006 11:33 AM
Oh no, not change! :)
ncwlau

--
09 Jun 2006 05:12 PM
I think I like this format better than the yahoo groups. This will probably be something of discussion for Monday night's meeting.

I think this could encourage more local people to participate in online discussion, not sure how though.
Zauskycop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Jun 2006 05:48 PM
JPJ wrote:

Hey JP, nice Avatar. How come you don't have one from one of your fast runs at Peru....oh wait...nvm [:P]
JPJ

--
10 Jun 2006 10:03 PM

Zauskycop wrote:
JPJ wrote:

Hey JP, nice Avatar. How come you don't have one from one of your fast runs at Peru....oh wait...nvm [:P]

I love you too TracEy

Achilles381

--
25 Jun 2006 11:19 PM

Probably due to the large number of other car forums I browse, but I prefer the bulletin board format over the yahoo groups format.

It wouldn't be redundant if everyone switched over. Considering that is unlikely, I will check both.

aseipos
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
26 Jun 2006 09:12 PM
Perhaps the fact the several hundred posts have been made to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com in the 2 weeks since just one post has been made here is evidence that this forum is a solution in search of a problem already solved by http://sports.groups.yahoo.com?

Andy Seipos
#597 Street Tire

wi_whoami

--
26 Jun 2006 10:12 PM
aseipos wrote:
Perhaps the fact the several hundred posts have been made to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com in the 2 weeks since just one post has been made here is evidence that this forum is a solution in search of a problem already solved by http://sports.groups.yahoo.com?

Andy Seipos
#597 Street Tire

I just don't have anything to say... :-)

...with currrently broken Evo (hopefully fixed in time for the NT event this weekend!)
Patrick Washburn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Jun 2006 09:06 AM

aseipos wrote:

Andy Seipos
#597 Street Tire

Going back to 6/13, I see 22 posts in the Milwaukee forum. 19 of those are the same thread asking for road race workers. An unusually busy two weeks I must add.

cashmo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
27 Jun 2006 03:06 PM
Pat, I believe Andy's refering to all the posts on the Chicago area autox forum on Yahoo, not just the Milw region forum there. I think you dropped off of that one awhile ago. I'm not sure we'd want to see all of those local posts on such a high traffic area as this. Perhaps a compromise solution would be this type of forum on another URL, (provided it had email capability, not just notifications, but actual email msg content).

Jeff
Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Jun 2006 04:34 PM
cashmo wrote:
I'm not sure we'd want to see all of those local posts on such a high traffic area as this. Perhaps a compromise solution would be this type of forum on another URL, (provided it had email capability, not just notifications, but actual email msg content).

Jeff
When you say "high traffic area" are you referring to the "Lastest Post" link at the top of the page? or just a larger forum in general? I know that Chris was looking into a search that would be able to exclude the Regional Forums. I could see that being needed in the future definately, it is a great service he is offering to us, I don't see why more regions wouldn't also take advantage of the service. If that happened and say there were 15 regions with forums here the "Latest Posts" search would be full of local messages.

It does seems as if people want the email capability, hopefully Chris will be able to get the licenses for that feature so we can have the best of both of worlds (email and forum access).
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner