Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Jul 2006 09:22 AM
    Like to thank everyone envolved for a great event yesterday. It was hot, and I know some people were a little burnt up from the Saturday Test-n-Tune. Also, thanks to the people who volunteered to work the 4th heat so we had enough workers that everyone didn't have to work twice.

Links to Results....
    [url=http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/Solo/2006/Event4_fin_NoPro.htm]Class Results[/url]
    [url=http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/Solo/2006/Event4_pax.htm]Index Results[/url]
    [url=http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/Solo/2006/ProEvent4.pdf]Pro Class Results[/url]

I thought the course was fun, it flowed well and there were some fast spots. I thought there could have been maybe one slower corner, but regardless, I enjoyed it.

Windscreen

--
    17 Jul 2006 09:34 AM
    I thought the course was great. Thanks to Sam, Denise & Marshall for adlibbing it together on Saturday evening, when I was too heat exhausted to lay down the course I had designed (over committed myself a bit this weekend). Also thanks to Cashmo for tweaking the course in on Sunday morning between several return trips home for an emergency work call.

I'm not really sure why Jason wanted a slower corner, as his 5 hp Briggs doesn't accelerate very well. I'm sure I would have made up the 0.041 on him then. [;)] Oh, for one more run, because I know there was a 49.5 out there, and the DL1 agrees with me.

I thought married guys were supposed to get distracted and slower!

Steve
    Gefiltefish
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jul 2006 09:35 AM

Yes, thanks everyone for braving the heat! Sunday was actually a lot better than Saturday as the wind picked up on Sunday and made the day much easier. Setting up course on Saturday was brutal.

The course was originally designed with a much different finish section. After the third lot-cross, it was a straight into a tight right hander followed by a 3-cone slalom finish. Jeff changed it on Sunday morning though to use more of the site, but eliminated the slow finish. I can understand the change as the original finish would have meant we had 4 slaloms on the course!

I also would like to thank the people that worked 2 heats. If it was not for the volunteers, everyone would have had to work 2 and the day would have been a lot worse.

autoxgod
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jul 2006 09:49 AM

Great course and a great time. Really liked the one heat work assignment. Reminded me of how Chicago Region events work.

I also thought the heats were fairly evenly split and the timing/scoring went well.

The course had a very nice mix of elements put together that is both challenging and fun.

Jim

Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Jul 2006 10:12 AM
    Windscreen wrote:

I'm not really sure why Jason wanted a slower corner, as his 5 hp Briggs doesn't accelerate very well. I'm sure I would have made up the 0.041 on him then. [;)] Oh, for one more run, because I know there was a 49.5 out there, and the DL1 agrees with me.

Steve
    I didn't say I [b]wanted[/b] a slower corner. I just said I thought it could have used one. [:D]

I guess I'm abnormal because since the wedding I'm running well, probably because I'm not distracted by wedding plans!!!!!!

I particularly like this picture (thanks Andy) of me doing what I think I did most this weekend.... spraying tires!!!! We started the day with a full water sprayer and proceeded to put two 20# bags of ice into it before the day was over.

SCCAForums Image
    SoloSRT4

--
    17 Jul 2006 10:20 AM

"I also would like to thank the people that worked 2 heats."

No problemo, Sam. It was nice of Julie to ask the workers in the morning if they wanted to volunteer work 2 heats. I think it works out better that way. It was actually better to be in the bus than out in the sun.

Great event yesterday and nice course design! Thanks for the air show too!

-Jason D.

Zauskycop
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jul 2006 11:51 AM
    Windscreen wrote:

Steve

I too thought there was a 48.5 or possibly a tenth less out there for me....but it would have taken Cashmore, and a pretty darn good run to get it. I was perfectly happy with my FTD time (ROFL...first time I have ever gotten to say that). Congrats to Jason, it would have taken a miracle run for me to catch you.

The course was awesome, and I enjoyed the slaloms. I got to tweak on my car and I think I learned something, so the day was great for Pikachu and I. Well run event, as always, by the MKE region, and I wish I could have run the entire season...
    fenter
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jul 2006 06:39 PM
    Ya, I should have brought ice for the sprayer also. There was no way to get ride of the heat quick enough by spraying hot water on my tires. Especially considering my car almost had to take as many runs in the afternoon as the two driver's cars!

Thanks to everyone for your efforts it was an excellent event!
    edlocke

--
    18 Jul 2006 08:51 AM
    fenter wrote:
    Ya, I should have brought ice for the sprayer also. There was no way to get ride of the heat quick enough by spraying hot water on my tires.

Actually, IMO, there is only a marginal increase in heat removal from using cold water vs. warm. Assuming that the water is "drying" off the tires (they were not sitting wet for very long, but the water was evaporating), the rate of heat removal that the phase change from liquid to gas is far greater than the relatively small heat absorption to raise the temperature of the water. The delta-T between the water and the rubber would be greater and would encourage a more rapid initial heat transfer, but the water would quickly approach ambient temps without much heat quantity being consumed. The heat transfer to raise the temp of the water is rougly 1 cal/g-degreeC (or 1 BTU/lb-degreeF), but the heat required to change the phase of the water is roughly 540 cal/g. So to raise 1 g of water from 32 to, say, 120 (F) would require 49 cal, but the evaporation of that same g of water would suck up 540 cal, or roughly 10x as much heat.

I guess you get about a 10% increase in heat absorption by using ice water compared to warm water.

(Anyone more schooled on the topic feel free to correct me!)

Ed
    Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jul 2006 09:16 AM
    SCCAForums Image uuuhhhhhhh SCCAForums Image

The equation in my head says it works better. [:D] So I feel better about it. If it cools 10% faster then I only need to spray them 9 times, instead of 10 times.
    2superblus
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2006 11:38 AM

Sure as soon as I sell the Corolla we get a course it would have done very well at. The wagon with Azenis and a rear bar did ok but it was busting the three wheel motion all over the place.

Bart

And I would like to throw out a special thanks to Andy Seipos for taken more great pics.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner