PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 19 Sep 2011 11:43 PM by  soloesp
Autocross is not Racing (a fun fur flyin debate)
 62 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
TOM GROSSMANN

--
24 Aug 2006 06:01 PM

Ok it's just been to calm here lately so lets fire up this age old SCCA debate (insults are acceptable during this debate but they must at least be funny)

As a road race biased member I'll start the debate

First off Autocross is NOT racing , don't believe me??? look at the insurance forms for an event it is refered to as a skills event.........not a race. RACING involves wheel to wheel competition.........well Tom you'll say your involved in Rally that's not wheel to wheel so that isn't "racing" either. To which I'll reply that you are correct Rally is not racing either.....that's why we call it a Rally!!! Racing involves passing on the course (unless it's F1 than passing is in the pits) , racing also involes getting your car in 4th gear (this post will now descend into a macho BS) Besides c'mon getting your car really lose at 35 mph , pft anybody can save that.....try at at 95 or 135 you girly man!!!! (or Manly Girl) ..........ok this should be enough to stir the pot for a day or two.

Tom

DISCLAIMER: dear fellow road racing snobs be forewarned because autocross is not racing doesn't mean it's easy. A certain National Champ who shall remain nameless but will answer to the name of "Jason" once appeared at a LV autocross wearing a shirt that said "If autocross were any easier it'd be road racing". New flash Autocross is hard , really hard becuase you only get 3 minutes of practice in a weekend. Despite the fact that autocross will help you set fast times in qualifying please continue to have a superior attitude and stay away from autocross.........so I can continue to out qualify you and drive away from you on the opening laps as autocross has taught me how to drive fast on cold tires.......after all why do something that isn't "racing"

thefirebuilds

--
    24 Aug 2006 07:06 PM
    waterudrunk?
    jtmcinder

--
    24 Aug 2006 07:23 PM

TOM GROSSMANN wrote:
    RACING involves wheel to wheel competition.........

Right on! Those WRC guys are wimps.

- Jtoby

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Aug 2006 07:33 PM

Knock, knock........

Whose there

Tom, Tom who ?

Tom the dumbass that doesn't know the meaning of the word race

RACE---Any contest of speed, hence racing is engaging in a race--------

Duh----I can drive in a staight line. Wow.

Tell me who is smarter when you spend way more money, risk injury to yourself and your car, and I am guessing here----race against a lot of old farts who have more money than skill. If road racers are so brave they should join the military and fight in Iraq. And then when they come back from their tour of duty, they should climb Mt. Everest-----

then I would consider them men

-----------------------------------

Question: Are the chicks that hang around road-racing as fugly as the ones who hang around autox ?

If you guys had hot babes maybe I would switch.

PS-----can I still race if I fart and burp very often, because I do this all the time at autox events, and no one seems to mind.

Thanks,

Namhel G. Pennywinkle

Director Itchy Ball Institute

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Aug 2006 07:42 PM

Question:

Why can't you race a convertible, or a open top car at the track ?

Answer:

Too many old guys were losing their toupees.

LoneGunman

--
    24 Aug 2006 09:16 PM
    Time Trial isn't "RACING" either, but we get trophy girls...

TTA First Place

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Aug 2006 09:44 PM

I want to be up there with her. you lucky bastard------

please excuse me now as I close my eyes and fantasize.................

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

ok i'm finished now.

goodnite

WildManPiet
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Aug 2006 10:33 PM
    Contact SCCA Risk Management regarding SOLO and "racing":

SCCA National Staff

SCCA Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 19400 Topeka, KS 66619-0400
    Shipping Address:
    Building 300, B Street Topeka, KS 66619
    Telephone Numbers:

Toll Free: 1-800-770-2055 Local: 785-357-7222 Facsimile: 785-232-7228

TOM GROSSMANN

--
    24 Aug 2006 10:45 PM
    Now Dave first...........read the word fun in the title , next bald jokes are always good ..............next I don't Autocross anymore because I'm a crew person for a JR Karter at local events............ when he doesn't call me Dad he often calls me "baldy-locs" No if you gonna throw insults around try something like...........I'd say something to insult your road racer intelligence but that's even easier than road racing itself...............see Dave it's like mama jokes only delete the word Mama and substitute the word road racer or Autocrosser.....based on your bias. (Oh and it's smart ass - not Do Mas.) I do not consider motorcycle trials racing either but doesn't mean I think it's easy.....I've tried and it hurts , way more than crashing my road race bike. Now if Autocross had a class for super moto bikes , which they won't cuase folks don't want to be beat by competitors with half the tire(barb)..............take that girly men (note I probably would still finish behind Dave H.) OK back to the post and please keep those stereo types coming. Tom PS did I mention my favorite song is Iggy Pop's putting out the fire with Gas-O-leen
    Shoe

--
    25 Aug 2006 12:23 AM

Tom,

Extrapolating your definition, individual competitions like gymnastics, diving, shot put, high jump, pole vaulting, and many more are not sports.

Yeah, yeah, I know, bowling fits into this individual category...maybe we can more closely define true individual competition by ruling out any event that also encourages drinking... H

Dale

knutz

--
    25 Aug 2006 01:03 AM

OK Tom,

Before I start on one side of the debate or the other, you gotta help me out with what side I should be on.

I started "racing" when I was 11. I've gone "wheel to wheel" in cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles(ok, ski to ski on that one) and ATV's. I've raced all over the US and Europe.

When my eyes went, I couldn't compete at the level I wanted to. Rather than be a field filler, I retired from "wheel to wheel" competition. Now I Auto-X or track day exclusively, and refer to it as "racing".

So fill me in, what side do I qualify for[*-)]? Am I a racer, or not[8-)]? By the way, I served my time in Iraq durring the original gulf war [Desert Storm] and I don't want to climb Everest untill someone makes a vehicle [with a motor] that can take me up there[:P]. I've got a list of jokes, I mean points[;)], for either argument[:D].

TOM GROSSMANN

--
    25 Aug 2006 01:40 AM
    First off Dale you almost solved the whole debate...........Rally which I don't call racing works as follows. Guys and Gals only enter Rally so they can drink beer afterwards......trust me on this if you've never been to one. One could argue that regular Autocross is racing but the North South Challange is not , unless your from Reno cause those silly people actaully show up for reasons other than to drink beer.......what kind of people would do THAT??? Well Don since you are so awnry I'd say you are a "Racer" and since unlike me you only stir the pot when you have a point , how pointless is that forums were created for endless inane debates so how did we ever mange without them , you may have to go with the autocross is racing side of the argument or..............you can border on Bi-polar as when asked what we did over the weekend I often answer I took Daniel to race his Kart when in fact we went to autocross. OK now back to my the bon fire........calling Autocross racing does it a diservice. Racing invloves calculating and prior planning............there is no planning for autocross you have no idea what the course is prior to arriving.......imagine a road race where people showed up at the airport with their race car and then where flown to a differant track every weekend...........You could be at Monaco or Lemans or Laguna Seca or Road America or Monza..........then when you arrive your informed that the winner will be determined as of the result from 3 laps of Qualifying but then again how can you go truly fast if you just jump in the car and go..............racing encompasses testing and make changes in practice and qualifying and morning warm-up then a careful strategy over a number of laps.........that's a test of driving skill. Tom PS Don at least with you I know you understand that I.O.M is the only true "road" racing.
    Roy Dietsch

--
    25 Aug 2006 03:00 AM
    You get hit in the head lately? I am sending a petition to suspend your license till you get medically reviewed.

Roy Dietsch
    96 Spec Miata
    99 STS2

SteveW
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Aug 2006 10:01 AM

Roy Dietsch wrote:
    You get hit in the head lately? I am sending a petition to suspend your license till you get medically reviewed.

Roy Dietsch
    96 Spec Miata
    99 STS2

I get the impression he has some weird, perverted fantasy about getting flamed online, but he wants us to be nice. It is kinda like being the pretty boy in the jail shower and he just wants everyone to have a condom on when he bends over for the soap. Does that get your "fur flyin'" Tom? It was "fun" writing it.

TOM GROSSMANN

--
    25 Aug 2006 10:15 AM

Now Roy let's review................I brought up my motorcycle racing background so of couse I've been hit in the head................you can't get any sort of speed up a 1 2 5cc GP bike unless you ride like a lunatic ..............which on occasion see's you fling the bike down the Tarmac at speed. Further eveidence of my being not right in the head is I'm involved in Rally.................also way back in an issue of Sports Car is a picture of me dressed up in the finest of girly man outfits

We really need some stereo types here and Roy's hit on one for road racers...............the SCCA medical form for your club racing license asks the doctor to verify that the would be participant is of sound mind...............impossible how could any form of racing that allows a driver to practice the same exact corner 100 times be of sound mind..................it's like remedial math.

Tom

PS Steve thanks for the Pretty boy comment but as an Autocross competitor (just not lately) , road racer and Rally organizer I always get a good laugh out of various racing stereotypes.............didn't folks outisde the region would "actually" read this or take this serious..............please note I was once LVR's Solo Co-Chair

SteveW
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Aug 2006 10:50 AM

All posts show up in the "Active Topics" page and that's where I usually look. I owe you a smiley face :) in my other post just because I should. I was going to edit it once I got to work but you beat me with a response.

Steve W.

I am a competitor. Who cares whether or not autocross is racing, it is competition.

TOM GROSSMANN

--
    25 Aug 2006 11:00 AM

OH fine Steve cut right to the heart of the matter.................doesn't matter "what" we call it.

And as fars as that whole perverted thing goes.......the county jail is not my bag , I've always found the George Michael's Memorial Rest Stop on I10 a much better place for that sort of thing :)

Now lets try to have some fun with some inane stereotypes...........c'mon Don I'm counting on you.

Tom

Mrsideways
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Aug 2006 11:23 AM
    I'll have you know I've been in 4th gear in an autox..... I Missed 2nd!
    KC

--
    25 Aug 2006 11:27 AM
    SteveW wrote:
    I am a competitor. Who cares whether or not autocross is racing, it is competition.
    You have a field of 10 cars in a class on a road course (along with other cars from different classes all fighting for their win in their own respective classes). You have one car that has placed 1st in the past 10 races and usually wins by a margin that is measured in minutes in the class.

Assume equally skilled drivers in all the cars.

Is that 'racing'? Or is that just "I have a small dikc so I outspend everyone to prove I'm better"? :)

--kC

mtbprelude
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Aug 2006 11:36 AM
    Mrsideways wrote:
    I'll have you know I've been in 4th gear in an autox..... I Missed 2nd!

I make it to 5th with frightening regularity... but then I don't race one of those "ASP" cars with a super high redline in a stock class [:P]

That and I can't seem to find 3rd gear on an autocross course.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner