Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 08 Dec 2011 05:39 AM by  boss002
Is anyone running a 94 Mustang GT in ESP ?
 78 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
SIMMONS-RACING
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jan 2007 03:47 PM
    Does this car even stand a chance in ESP?
    SCCA Cobra
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jan 2007 08:01 PM

At what level? And what level of prep? There are lot of modifications you can do to help make it more competitive: Rear seat delete, Steeda 5-link, 315's at all four corners, some motor mods, ect. Just depends on what you want to spend.

Just remember though, if your not having fun, you're not doing it right! [;)]

The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2007 02:27 PM

There was someone (Kirk Meline?) running one out in the San Francisco Region. It is not a great Mustang model for ESP, but you won't get blown away by similarly prepared Mustangs of other models. As long as you aren't trying to compete with one at Nationals, then the usual rules about driver variability being more important in regional competition apply.

SpyderVenom

--
    05 Feb 2007 03:24 PM

SCCA Cobra wrote:
    Just remember though, if your not having fun, you're not doing it right! [;)]

For Eric, another car and another class is the fun.

Yet another car Eric?

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Feb 2007 02:26 PM

Come on Eric, ESP around the Philly/DC area is becoming quite large and competitive too.... I also have learned a thing or three about Mustangs too. [:D]

Is it competitive? Yes, the 5.0 isn't ideal, but you can UD/BD to other cars on the 94-04 line and use a 5.8, or a DOHC engine if you wish....

Warning: Mustangs do cost more to get competitive than Camaro's do. But they are lighter.

Brian SS

--
    07 Feb 2007 12:17 AM
    I have ran against Kirk out here in SF. He makes that Mustang work fairly well. Plus he is a very good driver.
    Mhyrr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Feb 2007 10:03 AM
    Eric, I don't know about a 94 Mustang, but join the ESP party!
    SIMMONS-RACING
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Feb 2007 03:43 PM
    01 FS Z28 wrote:

Come on Eric, ESP around the Philly/DC area is becoming quite large and competitive too.... I also have learned a thing or three about Mustangs too. [:D]

Is it competitive? Yes, the 5.0 isn't ideal, but you can UD/BD to other cars on the 94-04 line and use a 5.8, or a DOHC engine if you wish....

Warning: Mustangs do cost more to get competitive than Camaro's do. But they are lighter.

Sold the car already, and the Rocco. Looking for a A/S Vette now.

Mhyrr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Feb 2007 06:58 PM
    Who bought the Scirocco??
    andrewb0x29a

--
    11 Feb 2007 09:21 PM

Greg, I bought it. You'll be seeing it at FedEx and Ripken. Maybe you'll be kind enough to give me some pointers on driving it.

-Andrew

fastbird86

--
    27 Feb 2007 12:04 AM

a sn95 chassie car is a good plat form if you want to run a mustang in esp, to me powertrain isn't that important but suspension is, there are alot of things you have to do to the suspension to get it to turn, as well as you have to physically man handle the car to get a fast time. Windsor motor cars have more low end grunt than the modular motor cars so you have an advantage there, for powertrain mods I would do some reserch and and find the best exhaust and intake set up to make more low end power and torque then concentrate mainly on suspension set-ups. Everyone runs a differant set-up depending on driver preferance, just go with what ever one fits your driving style and pocket book.

ChrisS

--
    06 Oct 2008 08:53 PM

Bringing this back from the dead for a quick question....

94-04 can UD/BD to 5.8/351?

Cr0usEEE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Oct 2008 08:59 PM

Cobra R is mainlined with the 94-04

from the rule book:

Mustang (‘94-’04) all NOC

including Cobra, Cobra R

(SN95)

So you could run the 351 from the 96 (iirc) mustang cobra R along with all the seat delete stuff...or the 5.4/6 speed from the 2001 cobra R

ChrisS

--
    06 Oct 2008 09:09 PM

So does that mean you can use and 351/5.8 that is built to Cobra R specs?

Also, then can you build a DOHC 5.4 to Corba R Specs?

Cr0usEEE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Oct 2008 09:20 PM

Yes on both accounts...but if you do build your own keep documentation and you must use OEM parts with avaiable or OEM equivilent if not.

Also the block needs to be the same family/motor time line...the 93+ 5.8/351 truck block is the same (IIRC) but you must use cobra r heads and everythign else exactly like the cobra r came with from the factory. So make sure you use parts from ford racing and keep track of the serial numbers and such to prove that your engine is the same as any other cobra R out there.

BTW....2 real cobra r's were at nationals this year. Eric Graunky's (sp) and David Feigner's....I have been up for 36 hours pardon my spelling

ChrisS

--
    06 Oct 2008 10:30 PM
    I don't know much about the pushrod motors so that is something to research. I'm not sure what heads the Cobra R uses, so that might make it impractical to duplicate. I believe the intake manifold is unrestricted (not sure) so that keeps you from having to duplicate the Cobra R intake, which should be almost impossible.
    SCCA Cobra
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Oct 2008 12:40 PM

Well, you won't find any Cobra R heads. BUT.....there is a Ford TSB that allows you to put Y-303 aluminum heads on the motor, which is what Marcus Merideth is running (and i'm not sure why he hasn't come in this thread yet.)

I've got a block at home, and that what I plan on doing as well. With the weight saving from the heads, the weight increase in the 351W is almost a wash, but you get more TQ from the 351W. Might want to look for a Tremec 3550 as well to handle the additional power.

ESP89
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Oct 2008 09:07 PM

My car is a 96 body with a 351 built to clone a 95 Cobra R. Y303 heads are legal. Many of the parts are not available so you either have to make them yourself or find something close enough that you do not think it is an advantage and can prove it. I have all the documentation you will ever need. Let me know what you want.

I can also give you a pretty good suspension set up if you want. It has been pretty good to me.

Marcus

www.margravemotorsports.com

ChrisS

--
    08 Oct 2008 11:26 PM
    ESP89 wrote:

I can also give you a pretty good suspension set up if you want. It has been pretty good to me.

Marcus

I would definitely be interested in the suspension setup. I'm all ears.

cobraaph
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Oct 2008 12:00 AM
    ChrisS wrote:
    ESP89 wrote:

Marcus

I would definitely be interested in the suspension setup. I'm all ears.

I would be interested as well except I am in SM right now. 1997 Cobra.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner