Looking to get started in Central IL
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AquaZ26

--
08 Jan 2007 12:38 AM

I have been interested in autocrossing for quite some time and I just picked up my 5th Chevy Beretta Z26(although only one I currently own). I had been into drag racing before but with the central IL SCCA chapter meeting most of the time only about an hour from me, I'm in Decatur, I am looking to finally get into it.

I have spent the last two days reviewing the board and other SCCA related sites. I am looking for information as to what is needed to get started, join and so on. From watching video and reading posts I can't wait to do it the first time. Also has this years calendar been released yet?

Also how many cars show up in Central IL on a given weekend to run?

Thanks,

Tim

autoxr2

--
    26 Jan 2007 09:34 AM
    keep your eye on www.ccsportscarclub.org it will have the schedule and any info you need. We usually have between 40 to 60 cars at an event, and usually 5 to 6 runs per event. Jeff
    MugenSI

--
    26 Jan 2007 11:42 AM
    also http://www.cir-scca.org/ is a good site
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Feb 2007 11:18 PM
    Membeship isn't required to participate, althought there's a reduced entry fee if you are a member of either the SCCA or CCSCC (Champaign County Sports Car Club).   Schedules should be up soon on the two websites mentioned above.  Most events are in Rantoul.  Just show up around 9:30 with your car and tell them its your first time.  CIR/CCSCC is the friendliest, most laid back (except about safety; they do take it serious) club I've run with in my 13 years of autocrossing.  Its a good place to get your feet wet.  

You might also consider St Louis Region.  Most (all?) of their events are run at Gateway raceway in Madison, IL, just off I-55..  Its really not much farther from Decatur than Rantoul.  I live in Monticello and run both venues relatively regularly.  St Louis is a little bigger club; turn out is two to three times that of CIR/CCSCC events so they have to run things a little more strictly.  Still a great bunch of guys & gals, but I think you'd get more out of CIR/CCSCC for your first couple events.  I do like the surface at Gateway better (asphalt vs rough-ish concrete) because its a bit easier on tires.  
    digitalseance

--
    08 Feb 2007 12:19 AM
    I'd definitely come to Rantoul. There is an AutoX school April 14th with a test and tune on the 15th. The season has been set for the year and the first official event is the following weekend, April 21 & 22. More details will be up on the sites soon.
    BoxSleeper

--
    25 Feb 2007 08:27 AM
    I am from Decatur as well, and have been interested in doing something like this for a long time as well....Only found this site very recently. If anyone else is from Decatur, and could help get a nOOb up to speed, it would be appreciated. thanks : ) Jason
    axe9

--
    09 May 2007 10:17 PM

Another novice chime in From Illinois, I'm in Rochelle (Think Rockford/Naperville/DeKalb area)

Looking forward to meeting all you folks!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner