3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Black R

--
16 Apr 2007 02:06 PM

I have a DM/ SM honda hatchback (EF).

Well, wheels that are oem run 15x6 +50 offset.

I already have 15x7.5's in +40, 15x8's in +25, and 15x8's in +45.

I prefer the sets of 15x8's for 225/45/15 (for obvious reasons).

And I'm considering running a set of 245/50/15's for lapping days with these wheels as well.

Since I haven't fitted the 15x8's, I just did some quick math and it seems that to get the oem backspacing in the 15x8's, you need a +24 offset.

So in order to use the 15x8's that I have which are +45, I will need a 21mm spacer. I doubt they come in such an odd size, so 20mm or even 1" will do.

Now at what point do spacers become unsafe? I've seen two types - one where the spacer is JUST a spacer, and another type where the spacer bolts to the hub of the vehicle, then the wheel bolts to the spacer.

Of course I'll need some extended studs for the former spacer, and none for the latter.

This vehicle will also see some hpde's - mainly just lapping days.

*I should note that the +45 offset wheels I have are much lighter than the +25 ones... hence my desire to use a spacer.

Orthonormal

--
    16 Apr 2007 02:39 PM
    I don't have a direct answer for you, but a question: How heavy would the spacer be? I had a friend who wanted new wheels for his Nissan 280ZX. We couldn't find any lightweight wheels with 10mm offset and 4x4.5" bolt pattern, but found someone who sold a hub adapter to work with 40mm offset 4x100mm wheels. There are plenty of lightweight wheels that fit that description, but once you added in the weight of the hub adapter they weren't so light.
    FSPvolvo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Apr 2007 10:49 PM
    Orthonormal wrote:
    I don't have a direct answer for you, but a question: How heavy would the spacer be? I had a friend who wanted new wheels for his Nissan 280ZX. We couldn't find any lightweight wheels with 10mm offset and 4x4.5" bolt pattern, but found someone who sold a hub adapter to work with 40mm offset 4x100mm wheels. There are plenty of lightweight wheels that fit that description, but once you added in the weight of the hub adapter they weren't so light.
    the difference between a 15lb wheel and a wheel + adapter that weighs 15lb combined is the location of the weight. obviously bolting on the light wheel directly would be best, but the added weight of the adapter is near the center of the hub, so the affect on rotational weight won't be the same as would a heavier wheel w/o the adapter.

I've used long studs with flat spacers for autocross. I've used flat adapters for autocross. and I've used wheel-centric adapters for autocross (the spacer has a lip to center the wheel and take the shear load off the studs). I haven't had any problems, but I've seen video of a car lose a wheel when using some kind of spacer. Torque everything properly and you probably won't have any problems. If you use spacers, I would highly recommend getting ones that have the correct centerbore for your hubs, and have a lip on them that matches the centerbore of your wheels (unless they're steel racing wheels that don't have a hub centerbore that is centered in the wheel). I prefer adapters, but they weigh more. Long studs and spacers can be made lighter because there isn't the second set of studs pressed into the spacer, and the area between the stud holes can be cut out to further reduce the weight of the spacer.

20mm is on the lower limit of how thin an adapter can be made. I've dealt with Fred at wheeladapter.com and he has all the experience and machinery to build custom adapters the right way. He's fast too, but not cheap. If you can easily get long studs that fit your car, then it might be the way to go. Having more stud is not a bad thing when using wheels w/o spacers.
    Black R

--
    10 Apr 2013 05:22 PM
    update:

I've run many events over the course of more than one season without so much as a hiccup on the aforementioned 25mm bolt on spacers from H&R. They are hubcentric.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner