89 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 512345 > >>
Author Messages
trex18

--
27 Jul 2007 09:14 AM

I'd love to hear some feedback on this one. If it can tow with ease (rated 5000#), it could be a perfect multipurpose vehicle.

Could double as a good daily driver/winter vehicle and great gas milage compared to a full size van/truck.

Phillip S. Osborne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2007 09:48 PM

I've seen several folks towing with them, but the first one that comes to mind is Dan Stone out of Indiana, hauling his Solstice all over the country. He says it works great...

I have been towing with a Honda Pilot for the past several months after selling my enclosed trailer and Duramax Diesel PU, and buying an aluminum open unit to haul the 1900 lb. CRX. The Pilot has been a trouble free and capable vehilce for short hauls, but since the tow hitch was added, it is not an official tow package with trans cooler, and other items that may make up a tow package. The Ridgeline I had considered when the Pilot goes off lease (it has been my wife's daily driver for the past three years) was an RTX pkg. that includes standard tow package group. However, I decided to go with a bit larger tow unit with a V8 and purchased a Dodge Durango Hemi with tow pkg....What a truck! This thing tows effortlessly, and on a recent trip to Dallas from central KY, my overall average for fuel economy during my two week trip, that also took me to Corpus Christi, it averaged nearly 23 mpg for the entire trip at 22.8...(not towing of course.) That's better than the Pilot! Glad I got it over the Ridgeline, however, I LIKED the Ridgeline....

rubenpadron

--
    31 Jul 2007 05:55 PM

I've been towing with a Ridgeline for almost 2 years... has been a GREAT tow vehicle. I tow a CSP Miata with an open trailer... car weighs around 1930 lbs and trailer about another 1200, so I'm well below the tow rating. I average about 16-17 mpg TOWING!!! Up steep hills, it will downshift to 4th (and even 3rd on REALLY steep ones), but overall you can't even notice it's there.

I've never been a truck or SUV kind of guy, but I needed something to tow with... this has been the perfect vehicle since it really does not feel like a truck when not towing and makes a great passenger vehicle. The trunk feature is also a great place to stow tools and other gear.

The only downside is that the bed is fairly short so hauling long items sometimes requires you to leave the tailgate open.

It's been a bulletproof truck (I would expect nothing less from Honda) and I'd highly recommend it for towing a light car with open trailer... not sure how well it would do with an enclosed trailer.

Good luck!

Ruben

CSP Miata

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Aug 2007 01:36 AM

I'm near the limit, full e-brakes on both axles, have been at or slightly above the 10,000# gross weight limit a time or two

could it stand for more power; yes

is it acceptable; yes

is it practical; yes

we've stacked 8 large wheels/tires in rear cab with the seats folded up

towing 75+ mph isn't an issue except for mileage, steep inclines at higher elevations it will drag down until it hits 60 mph then downshift and pull you back up to 70 mph and then repeat, I pull from sea level - 8000 ft regularly

probably the best handling vehicle during towing you will ever drive, best handling truck not towing too. I'm considering a Lear topper before Nats

The RL is supposedly getting a turbo diesel in 2010, if so I'll probably upgrade

BTW, the spare and tools are in the bed trunk, if you're going to load up the bed you may want to pull that out and put it in the bed too so it won't be trapped underneath everything. In fact, it's a min spare and you should consider replacing it with a full size for towing - been meaning to do that.

rubenpadron

--
    09 Aug 2007 04:08 PM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

In fact, it's a min spare and you should consider replacing it with a full size for towing - been meaning to do that.

Are you sure it's not a full spare? I'll have to double check mine (RT model), but I could have sworn it's a full size spare. Then again, I'm used to tiny Miata wheels / tires! [;)]

Ruben

CSP Miata

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Aug 2007 06:08 PM

I can see using one to pull small loads.... but I'll stick with a real truck thanks. As for the mileage, I get 14-16 towing pulling either an ESP Camaro or FS Mustang (both over 3400 pounds), at least 2 sets of wheels and tires (over 200 pounds for each set), I get about 18-20 empty, and never slow down for anything. Stock my Cummins has 600 ft/lbs of torque, and I have it *ahem* hopped up a little too.

There is more to it than "will it pull it"? Even compared to my first truck (a Chevy with a Vortec 350 and 335 ft/lbs of torque) there is no comparison if you tow a lot, or two heavy. I'm always less tired and cover more distance in a day now since I don't have an engine screaming from downshifting. I don't have to stop every 250 miles unless I want to, I can pass people on 2-lane roads if I want to.

I'm not saying you need a diesel or anything. I'm saying that if you can swing a vehicle that has more weight, more brakes, more power I'd recommend it. Hell, if I had a Miata or a CRX and an aluminum trailer, I'd be ok with a Ridgeline. Most folks pull more weight than that.

geewiz
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Aug 2007 10:29 PM

Heck, Sam, if you had a Ridgeline you could just drive the truck up onto your trailer and tow with that porker of a competition car! 

-- a miata pilot
    csp49

--
    09 Sep 2007 10:05 AM

I don't frequent the forum all that much but I do have an opinion on towing with a Ridgeline.

I have been towing my CRX on a Trailex since April of 2006. Given my load (approximately 2,500#) I have been extremely happy with it as a tow vehicle. I don't really use it for anything other than towing so in this period of time I have only accumulated 25,000 miles.

I routinely get 16-17 mpg towing at 70-75 and you literally cannot tell that there is anything behind me. If you load is 4,000# or less I honestly don't see any reason it would not be satisfactory. I do agree with Sam if you have a 'real' car you are going to want a 'real' truck.

I am a mimalist when it comes to my vehicles though and I always opt for the vehicle that will be most efficient for the job at hand. In my case the Ridgeline suits me perfectly. After all my friends got over the teasing and actually rode in the thing their opinon was vastly different. I don't need a 'real' truck; people just thought I did.

Scott

Jcamper

--
    17 Sep 2007 05:29 PM
    I have done my share of hauling/towing, and seen my share of failures. After witnessing a few, I have found that my personal mantra for a tow rig comes down to this. Count the lug nuts, less than 8? Not for me. I have seen multiple rear axle bearing failures, and on any non full-floating axle vehicle, that can mean the rear tire/axle unit pulls out, falls off. Just wondering how the Ridgeline rear bearings are setup? I think with light trailers/cars, no biggie, but I would be real leery of getting even close to that 5k limit. Just thought I would see what everyone's take was.
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Sep 2007 06:25 PM

Jcamper wrote:
    I have done my share of hauling/towing, and seen my share of failures. After witnessing a few, I have found that my personal mantra for a tow rig comes down to this. Count the lug nuts, less than 8? Not for me. I have seen multiple rear axle bearing failures, and on any non full-floating axle vehicle, that can mean the rear tire/axle unit pulls out, falls off. Just wondering how the Ridgeline rear bearings are setup? I think with light trailers/cars, no biggie, but I would be real leery of getting even close to that 5k limit. Just thought I would see what everyone's take was.

Generally with any vehicle that has rear disk brakes you won't have the problem with the axle pulling out. That's a drum brake thing I think. The caliper should keep everything there if not operating in any nice way.

I'm with you on the 8-lug minimum, though. Doesn't cost much more if at all and it's nice having a little extra capacity, especially when you go on a long trip.

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Sep 2007 01:49 PM

Since Phil mentioned me in the second post to this thread, I'll add that my Ridgeline now has over 45,000 miles of trouble-free service. I estimate that 70% of those miles are towing my Trailex open trailer and Solstice.

I found the comments offered by TeamRX8, rubenpadron, and CSP49 all similar to my observations and opinions.

Dan Stone

Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Sep 2007 03:27 PM

Jcamper wrote:
    The Ridgeline has IRS, so I imagine that the wheel bearings are part of the whole hub assembly (imagine your typical FWD car, only beefier).

And just because it has 8 lugs, doesn't mean that it's a full-floating axle. GM put a lot of 9.5" axles under 3/4 Suburbans that weren't full-floating. I believe Ford did as well, in the non-HD F250. Of course, these are likely to be older trucks, so YMMV.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Sep 2007 05:16 AM
    We did 1600 miles from Reno to Topeka this past weekend all loaded up for Nats, probably close to it's 10000# gross rating. Pretty much did 80 mph the whole way except for a few steep grades and construction zones.
    krzastek

--
    12 Jan 2008 08:34 AM
    What brake controller are you using for the Ridgeline?
    dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Jan 2008 10:21 AM
    I have a Trailex trailer with surge brakes. Trailex sells both electric and surge brake equipped trailers. Trailex recommended the surge brakes and I have not regretted the decision. Therefore, I do not have a brake controller. This will be my third season towing with the Ridgeline and the Trailex. I have 51,000 miles on the Ridgeline with no problems. I often tow with the cruise on 70-75 mph depending on the speed limit. Of course the power or torque is not plentiful. The more important thing to me is the incredible stability this rig has on the road at all speeds. It's rock solid, never sways, and you tow with a lot of confidence.
    krzastek

--
    12 Jan 2008 11:14 AM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

I'm near the limit, full e-brakes on both axles, have been at or slightly above the 10,000# gross weight limit a time or two

How much does your trailer weigh?

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 06:24 PM

You might consider the terrain.... Scott and Dan live in flat-land. Mark pulls more hills and mountains... then again he towed a car and dolly with Impala's (and not the RWD full framed ones) and a Crown Vic. :)

I'm with Scott on the towing with the best, most effective vehicle you need. Which is why I get not a whole lot less mileage towing a lot more weight... and around 20 empty. Remember I'm pulling a 7100 pound truck, a 3450 pound car, on a 1700 pound trailer. And usually have two more sets of R-comps (about 200 pounds per set, for another 400) a full sized jack, tool box. ME (not small), maybe another person, etc. Consider that Dan and Scott both pull smaller cars on smaller, aluminum trailers too. Mark's car is a good 500 pounds less, but I don't know what the trailer weighs.

Add it all up and it's a easy 13,000 pounds in total. The worst tank towing all year: 14.9, and I live in a non-flat part of the US and tow A LOT.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 10:20 AM

I just gotta pipe in about this one real quick. . . . wife and I purchased a 2006 GMC 1500 CrewCab with the short bed. Full framed, fullsize truck capable of easily pulling 7500lbs. We bought the small V8, 2wd and taller rearend. Driving day to day, the truck averages 20-21mpg in rthe summer, 19-20 in the winter. On the road, empty it's a24mpg long distance runner that is stable and comfortable with a to of room and we'ved pulled a 7500lb tractore on a 1200lb trailer about 100 miles without difficulty. I have future plans for headers/exhaust and a mileage tune for the PCM to put me into the upper 20's (27mpg@ 80mph is the goal)

No offense to you RL owners, but I work for an "upscale honda" dealer and I would NEVER trust that transmission as much as you have.

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 12:52 PM
    Since I own a Ridgeline and feedback was requested, I answered the post. I'm not trying to make a case against any other truck. As others have posted, there are certainly different applications. For my situation the Ridgeline works. The total towing weight of car and trailer is just under 3600#. The Ridgeline fits in my garage and it works well as my daily driver. The towing performance had been reliable thus far. I am personally not aware of a pattern of transmission problems for Ridgelines used in a similar application as mine. Different towing considerations obviously dictates a different tow vehicle.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jan 2008 02:42 PM

dasto wrote:
    I am personally not aware of a pattern of transmission problems for Ridgelines used in a similar application as mine. Different towing considerations obviously dictates a different tow vehicle.

I have been out of the transmission business for about three years now but I owned a big Aamco Center for several years. We did all of the transmission work for two local Honda dealers. If I remember correctly, the Ridgeline uses the same basic transmission as in the Odyssey. That transmission is the most problematic in Honda's history. While its hard to argue with the success that the people here have testified to, the larger statistical sample doesn't bear this out.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 512345 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner