You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Oct 2008 01:23 PM

I've towed some with our Odyssey with the factory tow package. It had the factory hitch and tranny cooler. Its been to Milwaukee, Houston, Denver, and StLouis a couple times. The Mini weighs 2500lbs, and the trailer weighs right at 1000lbs with electric brakes. So its right at its 3500lb rating. It's actually over its GVWR with the kids, dogs and luggage. But its a pretty good tow vehicle for long trips. It tows comfortably at 75mph. Like others have mentioned, it does need to downshift to 4th on hills, but that's to be expected. It gets 24mpg empty and about 15mpg towing. Can't beat that. We sold the van with 72k on it. It never had a single mechanical issue whatsoever. Here's a pic at the Denver National Tour.

As a comparison, I towed the exact same car & trailer with the same kids, minus the dogs...to St Louis this past summer, in a new 08 LTZ Tahoe. The Odyssey got better gas mileage (15 vs 12), stability was about the same. Brakes favored the tahoe a touch, and acceration wasn't much different. Actually it downshifted to 3rd as much as the Odyssey did to 4th. The odyssey was more comfortable for us. The LTZ had the self leveling suspension, so that was nice. That was the biggest weekpoint on the Odyssey was the weak springs. I backed the car on, so that it wasn't so tongue heavy. It didn't bother the Tahoe, since it self leveled. My point with the comparisons is that a truck based full sized SUV didn't do much better than the van.

SCCAForums Image

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2008 09:37 AM

based on the pic, you could have located the Mini further back on the trailer to ease up on the tongue weight, especially with the tool box on the nose

I'm not a big fan of strapping the car down via the wheels

My RL rolled past 76k, not a single issue to date

It's a winter God with Blizzak snow tires [Y]

gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2008 11:03 AM

Further back on the trailer, and then I can't open the doors. Backing it on, did several things for me. It allowed me to open the doors most of the way, and it balanced the load, with the lighter end of the car on the tongue.

Also, the mini doesn't have any real tow hooks. All it comes with from the factory to tie down to, is the singe threaded hook that you install in the front and back bumpers. So on a mini, the wheels are the most secure mounting point. You can then tie down to all 4 corners. The suspension on the MCS, is so firm, that the car doesn't bounce around at all...zero.

Primetime Glick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2008 11:08 AM
TeamRX8 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of strapping the car down via the wheels

Why? All I know is that after years of using chains and binders (before getting out of trailering, period), wheel tie down ratchet straps seemed like a pretty cool solution.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2008 09:20 PM

I pull my car down very tight using similar ratchet straps on the frame/pickup points and wouldn't want to be pulling on the suspension like that is all, not a matter of the chassis bouncing. Not having a choice is one thing, I've seen people do it that have other options.

trailer position vs. door clearance makes sense though, I didn't consider this

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Feb 2009 08:36 AM

Finally had my first problem at 80,000 miles; the CEL came on, oh the horror .... [:P]

Having a KW Variant 3 DA coilover setup installed on in next Monday. This is the same setup the IRL uses on it's Ridgeline track safety vehicles. I would have preferred slightly stiffer lowering springs and swaybars instead, but after all this time nobody has yet to make swaybars for it and they're too convoluted to bother making on my own. A nice 2" drop, slightly stiffer springs and shocks, and some 275 summer tires should take the handling to a new level without killing the ride quality.

gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Feb 2009 08:46 AM
I'd like to see some pictures when you get that finished.
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Feb 2009 04:12 PM

gareno wrote:
I'd like to see some pictures when you get that finished.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...stcount=21

gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Feb 2009 05:17 PM

Looks good. I just borrowed my mom's Ridgeline on Saturday to haul a newly purchased BBQ grill. I'll show her your pics, maybe she'll want to do that to hers.

Off subject, something I noticed on my mom's truck....The steering is super heavy, almost feels unassisted at idle. Once rolling, it feels fine. Is this normal? Her's has only got 5k miles on it, but I told her I think something is wrong with it.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Feb 2009 10:00 PM

I still have the OE-size Blizzaks on, we're still got another month or two of potential snow/ice

Just went out and fired it up, then turned the steering wheel at idle. It's not loosey-goosey like the old GM couch on wheels steering, but not super heavy like being unassisted. Mine's an '07, not sure if they changed it since. I know the the new '09 model has revised gearing that will be better for towing IMO.

I would definitely recommend the EBC brake pads; yellow front, green rear. They are so much better than the OE pads even in daily driving, no noise and a bit more dust but it washes off super easy.

gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Feb 2009 10:13 PM
My mom's is an 07, I think. Not 100% on that, it could be an 06. She doesn't drive it that often, she's a single woman with 3 cars, that lives 5 blocks from work. So none of her cars get many miles on them. And I'm not sure she's driven any other Ridgelines, other than the one she bought, and neither have I, but I think something's wrong with it. I've had more than a dozen Hondas in my life, and I have always found their steering (if anything) overboosted. This is quite the opposite.
squirrelgripper

--
17 Mar 2009 11:18 PM
gareno wrote:

SCCAForums Image

Can I ask where you sourced this trailer? I towed with our Toyota Sienna this weekend using a dolly, a trailer like this is just what I'm looking for.

BTW, I purchased a set of Airlift brand air bags for the rear of our Sienna - inflated them to 35psi and that helped maintain the ride height when towing.

Iain

gareno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Mar 2009 07:18 AM

Clancy Schmidt works for the SCCA, he's the equipment manager, mostly responsible for getting the truck and trailer from Tour to Tour and Pro to Pro. He also helped instruct at KU in the engineering dept for the FSAE team. He built this trailer about 10yrs ago. He lives here in Lawrence. He has built about a 100 of them. They're still out there. I know of 2 other people with them. I don't think he's building them any more.

BTW, in the picture above, the Odyssey also has the airlift bags in the rear. They worked great. My wife and two kids, and the 3 dogs are all in the van when I took that picture, along with a weeks luggage. So its quite loaded, yet still is pretty level.

GRMPer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
22 Mar 2009 07:25 AM

I've been sniffing around the Honda dealers around here looking at minivans--it turns out that the 07+ Odysseys actually have the Ridgeline-style 4-shaft transmission.  I guess they got sick of replacing the earlier ones.  

Per 

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Apr 2009 09:20 PM

Looks like my CEL was more horror than I thought. Every indication is that the 1st bank cat converter has failed. Of course I was several thousand miles past the emissions warranty, but at least the trans is still going strong [:P] Apparently a few other RL owners have earlier than expected cat failures too, though it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem.

Had an issue with the KW coilover kit too. The rear springs collapsed/failed over a several week period, which KW says they've never seen before. The rear ride height kept dropping and we kept raising it up until coil bind finally started to occur. KW was extremely responsive to the problem and sent me out a new pair of rear springs with revised length/rate that they said would work better for towing. I intentionally pulled the car forward in the trailer to lay on the tongue weight and loaded up the bed too for the Wendover trip last weekend. The new springs took everything I had to throw at them and then some. No change in ride height following the trip, so everything seems to be in order. I'm really impressed by KW's customer service and the Ridge handles so much better with this suspension kit!

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Jul 2009 07:08 PM
95,000 miles and still going strong .... the failed cat converter was the only problem so far, seems to be a rare random thing ....
atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Jul 2009 11:00 AM
TeamRX8 wrote:
95,000 miles and still going strong .... the failed cat converter was the only problem so far, seems to be a rare random thing ....
I thought cats were covered for 100k? Maybe, just a Cali thing.
BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Jul 2009 01:23 PM

atcovan wrote:
TeamRX8 wrote:
I thought cats were covered for 100k? Maybe, just a Cali thing.

Federal Emissions warranty is 80K IIRC. No idea of Cali. has an extension on that.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Jul 2009 05:26 PM

Warranty is 80k, it went out around 82k and I got no mercy at the stealership ...

jdchristianson
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jul 2009 06:01 AM

"Stealership"... sounds like you need to find someplace with better customer service.

Does the Honda warranty say 80ish thousand miles or "someplace near 80K" miles?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner