10 Jul 2009 06:50 AM
I tow a F100 with my Colorado and it has a 4/5" drop on 22's. [;)]
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Jul 2009 06:57 AM
jdchristianson wrote:

"Stealership"... sounds like you need to find someplace with better customer service.

Does the Honda warranty say 80ish thousand miles or "someplace near 80K" miles?

Actually it's a federally mandated 8yr/80k mile emissions warranty.

atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Jul 2009 09:40 AM
At 82k, they should have helped you. You know what it's called when you don't get a kiss after sex? Yep, you got...
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Aug 2009 11:12 AM

I'll be turning over 100,000 miles on the tow out to the Lincoln Divisional this weekend :crossesfingers:

MS

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
23 Sep 2009 05:56 PM

Now at 103,500 miles. The indicator popped on recently for B4 service interval, which recommends changing the timing belt, water pump, and accessory drive belts, also full inspection of the steering/suspension/drivetrain.

We made it back from Lincoln OK, but had a minor scare just outside Reno when the truck started shaking badly and every possible dash light came on. Pulled over, turned it off, found nothing wrong, and when we cranked it back up everything was OK. Not sure if the stability/traction control system glitched or what? No problem since.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Sep 2009 05:12 PM
Looks like it might be transmission or transfer case time, slipping under load at high rpm (near limiter) in 1st and 2nd with similar results as the "scare moment" mentioned above, more to follow ....
Primetime Glick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Nov 2009 05:49 AM

TeamRX8 wrote:
Looks like it might be transmission or transfer case time, slipping under load at high rpm (near limiter) in 1st and 2nd with similar results as the "scare moment" mentioned above, more to follow ....

I guess you would know by now if AT or TC is toast, but given that you've got over 100k on the truck, with many (some?) of those being maxed-out towing miles.... it's not unusual at all to go through an AT on any truck, from any manufacturer. You actually got a TON of mileage considering you essentailly had a complete stock trans ...with no external cooler and no constantly-monitored TT gauge.

Of course since they're Honda pieces and possibly the TC is involved too (it's some sort of an AWD system right?) replacing them isn't going to be cheap, but again considering your usage I don't think anyone can say you didn't get your money's worth. Hell my I had to basically give my F150 a whole new tranny - and it never towed a MILE in its mostly easy, country- and elderly-driven 80,000-mile life.

But, if it costs $5000 to fix the truck... not to mention replacing the cats.... maybe do a swapout? The resale has to be pretty high, and I not that I condone it but I guess its problems wouldn't be detected (or could be hidden) on a typical, very cursory dealer once-over on a trade.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2009 01:36 PM

Looks like this thread psyched me out. The dealership claimed the trans was fine. I've since thrown a code that indicates it's a VTEC oil pressure switch issue, the system is fine until it get's thrown:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ostcount=9

[:)]

The truck is paid off, and frankly still in excellent condition IMO despite the mileage (now over 108k). I'd rather take my chances for now than get into another loan.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
23 Aug 2010 09:51 PM

Now at 139,xxx miles. Just had the suspension/drivetrain fully inspected by the dealer and the RL was given a clean bill of .health

In summary, lost one primary cat just past the 80,000 mile emission warranty, the other went at 120,xxx miles which we also changed out the $65 VTEC oil switch. No other issues, just maintenance. Still running, driving, and towing strong ....

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
22 Nov 2010 05:34 PM

151,xxx miles and still going strong .... just keeping the naysayers quiet [:P]

planning on retiring it to tow-duty only soon

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
20 Dec 2010 07:38 PM
officially retired the Ridgeline for tow duty only today with almost 156,000 miles on it - just bought a 2011 Honda Civic Si sedan as my new company car, lol
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2011 04:51 PM
160k, I'm taking bets on which event I won't make first because of a break down :-)
IntegraR0064
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Jun 2011 05:33 PM
Thanks for the updates, I'm considering whether to do a ridgeline or a slightly more truck-like truck like a Tacoma to tow my S2000/open trailer so it's helpful to see your experience.
S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Jul 2011 01:29 PM

I have been doing more Towing with my 2009 Honda Ridgeline. Jim and I Co-Drive his Audi S4, and we have towed his car several times. And one of my SCCA friends here in Kansas City, has used my trailer along with the Ridgeline to tow his Ford Mustang Cobra to three of the local MiDiv events.

The Trailer is an H&amp;H Aluminum Tilt bed - Weight 1400 lbs.

The Ridgeline gets around 11-12 mph towing the open car trailer and Electric Brakes help with the stopping power. Although I am reasonably pleased with the Towing Capabilities of the Ridgeline, I would also say that when you pulling close to the 5,000 lb max load limit, that it is a pretty good tug for the truck.

Somewhere there, there is a fine line that you cross over, and you have to ask yourself if you would be happier with more HP and Torque that is available in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Pick-up Trucks of Ford, Chev, GM, Dodge, Nissan &amp; Toyota.

Link to a few photos

Joe

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Aug 2011 12:06 PM
I would like more power for sure and the mileage isn't any better than a V8. Not sure I would like it at the expense of reliability and storage convenience though. Closing in on 172,000 miles and I carry a ton of stuff in the rear bed trunk and under the passenger seat. It has lived up to Hondas reputation for design and build quality.
S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Aug 2011 05:00 PM
I agree with your thoughts on the Design and Build Quality of the Ridgeline. I am also very pleased with the handling of the Truck.......more of a car feel to the handling. Probably the best truck in Snow that I have owned.

And speaking of the Trunk in the rear bed, and the Tailgate that opens both ways. Neither of these available in any other truck on the market!

Joe
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Dec 2011 06:10 PM
179k now, it will likely see major tow duty all over the continental US in 2012, hope it can make at least one more season
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Aug 2012 10:25 AM

The rear toe adjusters rusted solid in the lower rear control arms so I will have to cut them out and replace those components on both sides. Otherwise this is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, even better than my non-tow vehicles

David Lehman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Aug 2012 11:04 AM
Ditch the Ridgeline......

Go with a GMC Sierra Denali...WITH QUADRASTEER !

Mark,
191,000 miles is for babies. 208,000 miles on my GMC. 11.4mpg towing open trailer.
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
06 Aug 2012 03:31 PM
I suppose avoiding the stealership with a break down is for babies too :-p

got 12 - 13 towing from Farmington to Toledo
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner