Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 18 Dec 2008 08:00 PM by  HighPerformanceTrucks.com
Anyone run the ITT Improved Touring Truck class?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Truckracer

--
31 Jul 2007 10:29 AM

I was wondering if anyone runs the ITT class??? I think only the Atlanta Region SCCA runs this specific class...

Is there a way to promote the class to other regions, lets say if I were to get enough interest...

It just seems like a very bang for the buck type of racing that I would rather not see die...

any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Timberwolf

--
    06 Dec 2007 04:19 PM
    What kinda Trucks are legal in the class ?
    bhudson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Dec 2007 12:44 PM

Here are the rules that Atlanta Region uses. This is the 2006 rules, there have been only a few minor changes since then. The rules are based on those used in the now defunct SCCA Pro Truck Series that ran in the late 1980's.

We've not had as much growth in this class as we'd hoped.

http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%2...0Rules.doc

Truckracer

--
    14 Dec 2007 03:14 PM
    I would love to run that class, and try everything in my power to promote the expansion of the class... I truely believe it is one of the most cost effective forms of racing out there for anyone amateur, and I know that there are other people interested also... I read about them everyday...
    Timberwolf

--
    14 Dec 2007 03:26 PM

1997 being the newest truck in the class ?

that seems counter productive, why not let the newer trucks run

there are ALOT of cool fast trucks out there today.

does the class make them stick with leaf springs as well ? or can you link and coil over them ?

I would love to run like a new body chevy 1500 with a V8, regular cab, short bed. 5.3L or something like that.

for the ford guys a reg cab F150 with 5.4L

Tundra ? Titan ? Ram ?

they are cheap, light, and setup properly can handle just fine.

Truckracer

--
    16 Dec 2007 11:18 AM

unfortunately it does seem a little counter productive, and I really do not think there is something out there for Full-sized trucks, I am actually trying to change that if I get enough interest in something like this, I am looking at starting my own sanctioned body for just trucks in road race, hold driver schools, and even develope a race series for production based trucks...

NASA has a American Iron class that a friend of mine will be running in with a 1995 Ford Ranger with a 400hp V-8...

I am trying to get a website off the ground for like minded individuals that are into trucks in racing... the website is www.highperformancetrucks.com

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Nov 2008 09:23 AM
    Truckracer wrote:

I was wondering if anyone runs the ITT class??? I think only the Atlanta Region SCCA runs this specific class...

Is there a way to promote the class to other regions, lets say if I were to get enough interest...

It just seems like a very bang for the buck type of racing that I would rather not see die...

any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

I know this is a super-old post but it caught my eye, so I thought I'd revive it. FWIW I don't think ARSCCA runs this anymore (or it's not on their website).

The beauty of this concept is that all trucks are relatively simple and low-tech regardless of age, at least in the chassis and weight distribution department, and rarely have competitive advantages between each other. This greatly simplifies a classing system, and I think ultimately makes for closer racing than you'd see in any IT class, vehicle-wise (except maybe small-bore ITC).

Here's what I would propose.

3 classes for standard cab, 2wd, short-bed trucks which conform to all current IT rules (with the following structure). Just as an FYI, I used bigger rims than you'd typically see for these weights as a way to help these things handle.

ITT-1: 4500 - 6000cc, Min weight 3750 lbs @ 4500cc, with 30 lbs added for each 100cc, 10" wide rims. Examples: any v8 half-ton truck - 5.0L F150s, 318 Rams, 305 Chevies.

ITT-2: 3000 - 4499cc, Min weight 3000 lbs @ 3000cc, with 30 lbs added for each 100cc, 8" wide rims. Examples: V6 compacts - 4.3L Chevies, 4.0L Fords, 3.4L Tacomas.

ITT-3: 1500 - 2999cc, Min weight 2250 lbs @ 1500cc, with 30 lbs added for each 100cc, 6.5" wide rims. Examples: 4/5cyl/small V6 compacts- 22r Toyotas, 2.7L Tacomas, 2.8L V6 Chevies, 2800 I-5 Colorados, 2.9L Fords.

The few issues I see with classing:

- What to do with all the "big small" V8's in ITT-1 that are solely paired from the OEM with auto trannies. Auto trannies are currently banned in IT (for good reason - hard to regulate). Allow swapping to the "small small" V8's manual trans?

- V8 Dakotas being an overdog in ITT-1, and V6 full sizes being an underdog in ITT-2. But, I think with the uniform minimum weights, and the track width advantages of the bigger trucks, the situation evens out.

- Getting significant front camber adjustment under the rules to help these brutes handle.

- New rules on roll cage structure?

- Weird, super tall seat brackets for the full sizes?

kgrammer

--
    18 Dec 2008 06:10 PM

I ran ITT back in 96-98, and then a few select races after I sold my two trucks. I owned two of the Nissan trucks.

The series was a BLAST to run. The small 4 cylinder trucks were fast and handled great.

I miss racing the trucks and would love to run them again. Like Spec Miata, they were cheap and really easy to race hard. I've toyed with the idea of creating a series for small trucks under USERA, but I'm not sure there are enough people who would be interested to make a viable series.

I would love to build a V6 Nissan as a track race vehicle. The 4 cylinder was already a blast to run and it was way cool to outrace the front wheel drive cars during wet races!

HighPerformanceTrucks.com

--
    18 Dec 2008 08:00 PM
    Any pictures of the Nissan trucks?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner