F150 Tow Rating
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cmk

--
02 Aug 2007 09:17 PM

I've been to other Ford boards and can't get an answer to this, so I'm hoping someone here will know something about it.

I have a 2003 Ford F150, supercab, 4.6L V8, auto, 3.08 rear end with 8' bed. My truck is rated for a GCVW of 10,000 lbs, which makes sense. However, the trailer rating is artificially limited to 2,000 lbs. This low trailer rating only applies to trucks with the 3.08 rear end. I understand that this rear end is designed for gas mileage, and is not the ideal towing gear. The interesting part is that earlier versions of the truck with the same configuration of engine, tranny, and rear end were rated to tow 5,500 lbs, which is the logical rating.

Does anyone know why Ford downrated this configuration on later trucks? Is it possible for me to tow a light open deck trailer and 2,200 lb Miata or am I out of luck without changing the rear end?

Phillip S. Osborne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Aug 2007 10:00 PM
    Sure, you can tow with it...you may not like it, but it will pull your car and trailer. Exceeding tow rating can have negative effects on drive train, including tranny...and gas mileage will definitely suck....Change out the gear ratio, add a trans cooler, trailer brake, and keep on truckin'.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner