Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Andy Hollis

--
21 Nov 2007 02:25 PM

See what I mean? [:)]

Just come to the first event toting a cooler full of cold Shiner, and learn to use "y'all" and "fixin' to" in appropriate sentences, and you'll do fine.

--Andy

mattm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Nov 2007 10:07 PM

modernbeat wrote:
Down here we don't call them Yankees. They're Foreigners.

Since he is moving in, isn't he a "Damn Yankee?"

from the Yankee in Connecticut

STS3gCivicSi

--
22 Dec 2007 05:12 PM

Just got the van registered for next year, unfortunately you don't get any discounts/refunds even if you leave the state the very next day...1 year of registration down the tubes to the State. My wife's Accord is due (for its emissions test as well, bi-annually in CA) right before we leave, that is just extra $$ down the drain.

Several moving quotes are coming in from $7500-10,000 to move 1600 miles to Austin, that stinks. So we are just going to look for a good used trailer and load the van up, and drive the van + trailer plus the Accord packed with stuff & kids. U-Haul wants $1600 + $800 for an open vehicle trailer, which is not bad, but then you have to give it back :) I am only in $500 for the van, another $150 in maintenance, $280 in registration fees, $160 for a new commercial tire (dang 16.5" wheels), and I get to keep it for work or towing a racecar :) We don't have a lot of stuff and we are leaving all of my heirloom cherry furniture here with my brother and his family, so it will just be boxes.

STS2 MR2 has been sold to save some money for moving, I think $2K was a good deal on an '88 Hardtop for the guy, hopefully we'll see it autocrossed as well.

We're flying out to Austin on Monday (Christmas Eve) and staying through the New Year, scoping out jobs and places to live. Fun stuff, I am excited!

modernbeat
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
22 Dec 2007 06:07 PM
STS3gCivicSi wrote:

Just got the van registered for next year, unfortunately you don't get any discounts/refunds even if you leave the state the very next day...1 year of registration down the tubes to the State.

You can get a refund. Just bring the unexpired plates and sticker to your nearest TX tax collector. I've never done it through the mail, but it may be possible.

davebs14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Dec 2007 01:14 AM
James....we got a regional SCCA event the 1st weekend in Jan in houston. Ya commin? :)
Andy Hollis

--
27 Dec 2007 07:58 AM

Davebs14 wrote:
James....we got a regional SCCA event the 1st weekend in Jan in houston. Ya commin? :)

I'll be there. James, you can co-drive with me in the Miata, if you like.

--Andy

Windscreen

--
27 Dec 2007 02:20 PM

Autocrossing in January, sigh

[:'(]

Guess it just makes it that much more precious to us northerners. [;)]

-Steve

STS3gCivicSi

--
28 Dec 2007 08:24 PM

Davebs14 wrote:

Dang! No, I am leaving Sunday morning to head back to San Diego. Didn't get as much done this week as I would have liked, too much on the Holiday schedule with the in-laws. Maybe tomorrow (Saturday) I can tour the city a bit, and look into some rental properties here. I am leaning more towards Round Rock / Pflugerville right now, as it is a little bit cheaper and not a bad drive to the new Concordia University Texas site (formerly CU Austin) out near Lakeview.

Thanks for the offers, if I had known I would have scheduled it in...lay down some early-season Points and then come back and kick some butt!

Happy holidays to everyone, love this town (Austin), can't wait to move here!

Phillip S. Osborne
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Jan 2008 01:36 AM

Dang! Some people are just lucky! Y'all don't know how much I'd like to move back to Texas! I'd do it in a hearbeat if my spouse was willing, but alas, she has ailing parents here in KY, so it's hard to argue with logic. I just got back from TMS after spending the past week and a half there, but as much as I like to drive, these trips are kicking my old butt big time... You don't EVEN want to hear about my trip home this week...

Welcome to Texas James...You'll love it..

Phil O.

STS3gCivicSi

--
21 Jan 2008 01:53 AM

Thanks Phil, my wife fees the same way, she can't wait to get back "home".

Looks like we are one step closer to making this move a reality, signed a 6-month lease with our landlord with no rent increase (yes!!!!!), with the option to stay in San Diego if things don't work out....nice guy, a happy change from the usual Property Management Scum*.

My wife has also successfully completed the paperwork to allow an open Call from churches and schools in the Austin area, that will help tremendously with finding work for the both of us.

Now I just need to ensure that work here in CA will allow me to leave in a reasonable timeframe, though I think it is helpful to allow them notice of when I am leaving, sometimes it's not always met with the same good intention....a coworker of my brother's just did the same thing (told his company he is moving to FL for his wife's job in June, he's been there 6 years, they canned him in 3 days....classy!)

Anyway, here's hoping for the best! [:)]

*=Evil.

STS3gCivicSi

--
30 Jan 2008 04:32 PM

I might need to find a 1-bedroom place or room to rent temporarily from potentially as early as March through June/July. We are discussing having me move out to Austin alone to establish our family plans and begin working (two jobs have opened up and would require an earlier move date than we had planned) at the new campus site of Concordia University.

Any SCCA-friendly folk have a room or rental property available for a few months to a lone Christian married guy, no smoking/drugs/pets who will likely be at work all the time? Cash deal, if interested. I can probably wrench on a racecar or two and help with home/property maintenance as a bonus if you ask nicely [:)]

jamesnwilson AT hotmail DOT com

STS3gCivicSi

--
25 Feb 2008 11:15 AM

Spent most of last week in Houston and Austin, good to be back in TX for a while! Picked up a Boxter from Jim/Dave Hedderick and drove it back for a friend in San Diego, but got to spend some time in Austin pounding the pavement, looking for jobs. Interviewed with Concordia University and Howdy Honda (family friend is a manager/director there), as well as dropped off a few resumes. Problem is that we are not planning on moving for a few months, so it is sometimes tough for a company to look ahead that far....still, it may mean that we just move sooner. My wife mentioned that she might be interested in San Antonio, there are a few Lutheran schools out there that are looking for teachers. I am not familiar with the area, but as long as it is not too metro/downtown then it would be okay. I hear there is more autocrossing down there anyway [:)].

We are still looking for rental properties in the Austin area, if any SCCA folk have them available or know an agent/broker.

Andy Hollis

--
25 Feb 2008 06:26 PM
STS3gCivicSi wrote:

Interviewed with Howdy Honda (family friend is a manager/director there), as well as dropped off a few resumes.

FYI, one of the new car sales guys, Kevin Childers, is a long time serious autocrosser that runs both with Spokes in Austin and SASCA in San Antonio. Never hurts to have multiple contacts at the same place...

--Andy

davebs14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
26 Feb 2008 12:24 AM

Driving in San Antonio is much like Miami Dade county. About 200 people driving 10 under the speed limit with the occasional moron trying to go 30 over. The only difference is people in MD County have insurance. I'd live outside SA if it was me. Maybe on the outskirts. I went to school there in 99-00 and would never move back again. :)

It's not a bad place to live by any means, but just leave 15 min earlier than you think you need to :)

STS3gCivicSi wrote:

Spent most of last week in Houston and Austin, good to be back in TX for a while! Picked up a Boxter from Jim/Dave Hedderick and drove it back for a friend in San Diego, but got to spend some time in Austin pounding the pavement, looking for jobs. Interviewed with Concordia University and Howdy Honda (family friend is a manager/director there), as well as dropped off a few resumes. Problem is that we are not planning on moving for a few months, so it is sometimes tough for a company to look ahead that far....still, it may mean that we just move sooner. My wife mentioned that she might be interested in San Antonio, there are a few Lutheran schools out there that are looking for teachers. I am not familiar with the area, but as long as it is not too metro/downtown then it would be okay. I hear there is more autocrossing down there anyway [:)].

We are still looking for rental properties in the Austin area, if any SCCA folk have them available or know an agent/broker.

STS3gCivicSi

--
26 Feb 2008 06:29 PM

Does anyone have an SCCA/Spokes contact at Austin Subaru? They just placed a few ads on Craigslist right after I returned from TX, and would like to aggressively pursue this lead ASAP....help?

Thanks!

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner