You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Feb 2008 05:25 PM
Yea Dood, just run that M3 in STU. We won't tell anyone.
DRAG

--
09 Feb 2008 01:35 PM
I'm up for running whatever class has good competition. If STU is it, then I'll make that move.
MichaelBenz

--
14 Feb 2008 04:37 PM
Andy Ucter wrote:
Locked wrote:

"Locked" - Nick Myers..

I'll be in the white Evo VIII this year. Currently the car is nearly stock, but I plan on starting in a class that I can grow into. "STU" Maybe give Kevin some much needed competition.

you should look at last years class results a bit more closely. ;)

i did to see what the area scoop is...

between you and drag, and Mr. M3 we should have a nice STU crowd this season..

My name is Andy, I've just moved, and transferred region of record.

anything else you'd like to know for some reason, ask..

You sound a lot like Chuck McMillion. Chuck?

rboone

--
15 Feb 2008 04:14 AM
Hello, my name is Randy Boone. The SCCA is something new for me, so initially you will probably see me just hanging around and checking things out. Just look for the guy with a dumb look on his face. I hope to get involved and runsome autocrosses before the summer is over. My goal is to learn and understand my car and how to handle it. Any help would be appreciated, because I know absolutely nothing about this type of driving. I am excited about getting started, meeting new people, and having a good time. I am very eager to get going. I'm planning on attending the Columbus fun run on February 24th it it is a dry day (just to watch). My car is a 07 stock black M Coupe.
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Feb 2008 07:58 AM
Welcome Randy! We have just the program for you! Be sure to sign up for our Novice program and compete for a year end award with others learning just like you! Coming off of my novice year (last season) I can safely say that there isn't a better bunch of helpful guys around. Just ask and someone is sure to answer. I don't know many guys that won't offer a ride along. . .except maybe Clemens but that's only because he doesn't have a spare seat!
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Feb 2008 12:54 PM

rboone wrote:
Hello, my name is Randy Boone. My car is a 07 stock black M Coupe.

[{]Randy, can you be my new best friend?

Errr, I mean, welcome to the Indy region. I still haven't seen an M coupe in person, but it is one of my favorite designs. Is it SMG or Manual? I believe my car has the same powertrain (just 2 seats and more weight), so if you are interested in a ride along at one of your early spectatings, just ask. But, I would say just bring your car out and give it a try from the start. Besides you would only have to go up against Jack Tovey in his Viper (you would be in SS class), but he is practically a beginner (only 50+ years of autocross [:P] ). But, there are plenty of novices (I've only done 9 events) and everyone is very helpful. You can take it at your own pace to get the feel of it (I'd definitely leave DSC on at first). I would love to get a ride along and give any beginner tips I could. Columbus,IN region has a very nice driving school April 19th (http://www.cscc-scca.org/) - you can get a lot of practice driving your car repeatedly on sections and some great expert advice so you know what is going on right fromt he start. You can even have an expert driver take the wheel and give you tips too. Its a very good way to get started with autocross.

Let's see some pictures of your M coupe!!

brgmcs

--
15 Feb 2008 07:47 PM

Welcome Randy. I'm glad to hear that you're going to come out to the first event of the season at Walesboro. Speaking of my own experience there in the July 2000, I went to watch my first autocross and immediately regretted not getting there a little earlier and getting registered so I could compete. We have loaner helmets available, and I think you'll find that folks will be happy to help you get started.

I also strongly recommend the school in April, but it will be even more meaningfull if you've driven at an event or two before the school.

DRAG

--
16 Feb 2008 11:55 AM

Benz - That does sound just like Chuck...ha ha. Dead ringer.

Randy,

Welcome, and I know someone who will be very jealous of your car [H] My dad runs his Z4 in A stock and he will certainly be checking it out! I agree with the others...just dive right in at your first event. You will be kicking yourself for just watching. I started last year and have only run 5 events and I am addicted. You will catch on immediately and you have a very capable car. I am pretty confused as to why they class the Z4 and M coupe chassis like they do....but that is what you have to work with. I would think that the car is more suited for AS then SS.

You are welcome to ride along...just ask.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 Feb 2008 12:25 PM

DRAG wrote:
I am pretty confused as to why they class the Z4 and M coupe chassis like they do....but that is what you have to work with. I would think that the car is more suited for AS then SS.

Really? I think the M coupe seems like a capable SS car. I'd think it would be easier than say Jack's big super-powerful Viper. The M coupe has plenty of power (333hp) without being out of control power. It has a short wheelbase (98.3) and excellent balance (50/50) and for stock you should be able to fit 285s in the rear and 255s up front for a lot of grip for such a small car. It is a little on the heavy side though - I checked and it doesn't look to be a whole lot lighter than the M3, surprisingly. I still think it would destroy everything in AS (S2000, Boxster, STi, M3, Z4, Camaro) with the best of power and size.

rboone

--
16 Feb 2008 12:42 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the encouragement. I need to get more familiar with the car first. I would hate for the course workers to spend all day replacing the cones I have hit, pushed and drug all over the course. I will have to kind of see how it goes, maybe. Where can I get a resonably priced helmet fairly quick? My son lives near Chicago, but I'm sure once I'm involved he will catch the bug and be hanging around as well. Is anyone going to Walesboro next sunday?
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 Feb 2008 01:32 PM

rboone wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the encouragement. I need to get more familiar with the car first. I would hate for the course workers to spend all day replacing the cones I have hit, pushed and drug all over the course. I will have to kind of see how it goes, maybe. Where can I get a resonably priced helmet fairly quick? My son lives near Chicago, but I'm sure once I'm involved he will catch the bug and be hanging around as well. Is anyone going to Walesboro next sunday?

www.helmetcity.com has some very good deals. I went with the cheapest helmet for $68 (CS-5 - may need to use search function), but they have every level of helmet. Just make sure you get one with the proper rating (it needs a Snell rating within the last few years - like 2005. DOT rating alone is not approved for autocross). They also recommend open face helmets. They have free 2 day shipping. But, as brgmcs said, there are helmets available at every event if you want to borrow one.

And, again, everyone is excited to have new members, so no worries at all about cone-age. And, there is no need to feel embarassed if you don't do well in the beginning. (I spun out several times last season [:S] and I don't even think most people noticed. This won't happen if you keep DSC on though...) Also, keep in mind there is a Novice Championship that just making a lot of events can place you pretty high. I finished 3rd out of like 60 with only moderate skills because I made it to all the events.

You are definitely going to fall more in love with your car when you start autocrossing.

duck_hunter_117

--
16 Feb 2008 02:52 PM
rboone wrote:

I was able to get a couple helmets from motodirectusa's eBay store. They have some full face options that are pretty cheap and good quality. Don't worry about running over too many cones, it might be cold enough that the workers will enjoy running after them to stay warm :)
gripfreak89

--
16 Feb 2008 03:19 PM

Seriously, going to autocross and just watching is fun, but at the same time you're wondering why you're not in the driver's seat. I've been attending autox events since 2003 (when i moved to the U.S) but wasnt old enough until 2006 to race. It is much more fun, and honestly I learned a few things from riding along but it's not nearly as helpful as driving... Now I have completed only 13 events (one being the National Championships) and I am pumped to try new a 'new' car for this upcoming season.

Although watching did help me pick a car, my first car was an MR2 but I quickly switched to the miata and now my family owns 3 red miatas and 1 silver one. Also you could call Geoff part of this little family with a white sts2 miata which got all the fuzz started... I think everybody should drive a miata at an autocross at least once to see how much you can have with ~95 rwhp...

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Feb 2008 03:29 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

rboone wrote:

www.helmetcity.com has some very good deals. I went with the cheapest helmet for $68 (CS-5 - may need to use search function), but they have every level of helmet. Just make sure you get one with the proper rating (it needs a Snell rating within the last few years - like 2005. DOT rating alone is not approved for autocross). They also recommend open face helmets. They have free 2 day shipping. But, as brgmcs said, there are helmets available at every event if you want to borrow one.

And, again, everyone is excited to have new members, so no worries at all about cone-age. And, there is no need to feel embarassed if you don't do well in the beginning. (I spun out several times last season [:S] and I don't even think most people noticed. This won't happen if you keep DSC on though...) Also, keep in mind there is a Novice Championship that just making a lot of events can place you pretty high. I finished 3rd out of like 60 with only moderate skills because I made it to all the events.

You are definitely going to fall more in love with your car when you start autocrossing.

Just to clarify on the helmet rules (straight from the Solo Rulebook):

Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course: All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding
Snell Foundation standards (SA, K, or M), or SFI standards
31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A are acceptable. Helmets meeting
British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are also acceptable.

Just so Randy isn't limited on his choices. So the Snell standards accepted go back to the 95 standard (95, 2000, 2005 - current).

Open or closed face....it's your choice and has already been debated on what is the best. [;)]

DRAG

--
17 Feb 2008 12:31 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

DRAG wrote:
I am pretty confused as to why they class the Z4 and M coupe chassis like they do....but that is what you have to work with. I would think that the car is more suited for AS then SS.

Really? I think the M coupe seems like a capable SS car. I'd think it would be easier than say Jack's big super-powerful Viper. The M coupe has plenty of power (333hp) without being out of control power. It has a short wheelbase (98.3) and excellent balance (50/50) and for stock you should be able to fit 285s in the rear and 255s up front for a lot of grip for such a small car. It is a little on the heavy side though - I checked and it doesn't look to be a whole lot lighter than the M3, surprisingly. I still think it would destroy everything in AS (S2000, Boxster, STi, M3, Z4, Camaro) with the best of power and size.

Now that I look at the other cars in the class, it should go in SS. I know Jack's Viper looks big out there, but in reality it is light, low CG, LOTS of rubber, and a broad powerband. I know there will be someone that chimes in with low hp saying that it isn't needed in autox...but yes having all the power you need is an advantage if you chassis can handle it :D I still don't understand why the 2.5 and 3.0 and M Z4 are both in AS when other chassis that are similar are split into different classes. Ex: Solstice GXP is AS, 2.4 Solstice is CS. I think the Solstice is equal in performance to the 2.5, and the S2000, 3.0, M Roadster, etc. have a huge power to weight advantage. I drove my dad's 2.5 at an event, and we both did well placing 1 and 2, but it took very smooth laps and the car was lacking in hp. I think a properly driven EVO or STI in that class would have been 4+ seconds ahead of the whole pack....so maybe those are the cars that are classed wrong.

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Feb 2008 10:32 AM

rboone wrote:

Cones are the devil!!, and need ran over any chance you have. I like giving those corner workers something to do. They need it or they'll get bored.

I had my car 6 days before taking it to an autox last year. That was the fastest way for me to get familiar with the car. You won't regret driving. You might regret just watching.

DRAG

--
18 Feb 2008 10:52 AM
Picking up cones is the only exercise my fat butt gets!
yamaha

--
25 Feb 2008 09:17 PM

same here

competed off and on for the last 2 years in indy scca, ran the black zx3 focus in HS for awhile, may bring it back out the first day this year with a friend's azenis, and will be running the 95 SHO I bought last summer(why I stopped attending), IDK what class it will run in, but I need to get it out before may

Andrew

brgmcs

--
25 Feb 2008 09:34 PM
yamaha wrote:

same here

competed off and on for the last 2 years in indy scca, ran the black zx3 focus in HS for awhile, may bring it back out the first day this year with a friend's azenis, and will be running the 95 SHO I bought last summer(why I stopped attending), IDK what class it will run in, but I need to get it out before may

Andrew

Bring either car out to the next event at Walesboro, March 30th. No reason to wait until May. [;)]

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Apr 2008 01:50 AM

Bump (trying to decide if this should be a sticky or not... I know it was pretty helpful for me in the beginning to get to know who everyone was)

Have you guys noticed how much we are dominating the boards here? Currently 6 of the top 10 most active members on this site are from Indy. We have almost 1000 posts since we started up 3 months ago. (10 posts a day - in the offseason!). I am glad to see it is taking off so quickly. It definitely adds to the sense of community with so many joining in. Hopefully we can get a few more members over here as the Solo II season starts up.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner